HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
Kaori Ayanami
post Aug 13 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #17491

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,575

Here we go again... There, another case of a royaish translation. sleep.gif

This is the original line: "Watashi ga asoko de fumitodomareta no wa chuui no o-kage da". The translation should be something like this: "It was thanks to (the) 1st. Lieutenant that I was made hold my ground back there". Not that my Japanese is that good, but the difference is quite clear. (Sorry if the wording seems awkward, English is not my mother language ^^U).

Go tell them off, Tombow. tongue.gif

Yet another lurker appearing out of nowhere. Hi, everyone. happy.gif

Edited:
@JELEE: No, it's HisshouBuraiKen's version. Tombow still hasn't make it that far. tongue.gif
And thanks for the welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Aug 13 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #17492

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

Even though Tombow was the one who translated that part? Or so I thought [EDIT: my mistake, it wasnt... =D]. In Japanese the difference between "my/me" and "the/that" should be fairly distinguishable; something I thought about when I read it. Often there are issues with translating but that's one thing I imagined wouldnt be a problem.

Welcome by the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Aug 13 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #17493

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Aug 13 2009, 01:07 PM) *

This is the original line: "Watashi ga asoko de fumitodomareta no wa chuui no o-kage da". The translation should be something like this: "It was thanks to (the) 1st. Lieutenant that I was made hold my ground back there". Not that my Japanese is that good, but the difference is quite clear. (Sorry if the wording seems awkward, English is not my mother language ^^U).

Edited:
@JELEE: No, it's HisshouBuraiKen's version. Tombow still hasn't make it that far. tongue.gif

Dunno about this. Are you sure? Those mistakes are annoying >D
Tombow (or sorry, who ever translated this one) translated "MY Lieutenant", the guys who posted their version at "onemanga.com" also translated it as "my Lieutenant"... hey, translators, confirm that >D

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Aug 13 2009, 05:20 AM
Post #17494

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

The team that uploads onto One Manga seem like noobs when it comes to translating accurately though. There are numerous sources and unless you're SUPER DUPER UBER picky (like us), it doesnt matter which one you read, the general gist is the same:

Riza stopped Roy.

Ta-da~

I suppose that's enough... for me it is anyway. At least he can admit it; I expected something like "I dont owe you anything, I'm awesome, I didnt need saving from anyone 'cause I'm a man-- okay just kidding not really.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkg22104
post Aug 13 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #17495

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 68,640

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Aug 13 2009, 07:07 AM) *

Ha, I was actually expecting it to be another mistranslation to send Royai fans screaming again tongue.gif Also, the scanlation on Onemanga used HisshouBuraiKen's version, so they didn't translate it themselves.

Oh well, to clear this up...Tombow-san, we need your amazing translation skills! biggrin.gif

And welcome Kaori Ayanami smile.gif

--------------------

Sig made by Forsaken Love ^_^

+Quote Post
jacksparrow589
post Aug 13 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #17496

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Hello, Kayori Ayanami! Welcome!

"My" or "the", it doesn't really matter to me. On this one, either way, Riza's getting most of the credit there, and that's all that I care about. tongue.gif

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Aug 13 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #17497

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (spectator @ Aug 12 2009, 07:37 PM) *
Don't you guys feel that Roy is a bit childish? He was fighting with Ed over nothing. But the fight was very cute.

It's Roy's nature to argue like that with Ed. Roy knows how to annoy Ed and vice versa. I never thought that the way they fight is childish as in many ways, Roy is like a grown-up Ed (they react to things the same way too).

But, that's just my opinion.

+Quote Post
spectator
post Aug 13 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #17498

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

guys, I check the RAW. Indeed, although my japanese not that good, there is no sign of Roy saying 'my Lieutenant'. it's just 'Lieutenant'. That's all. laugh.gif

That's why I felt so sudden that Roy would say 'my lieutenant'. laugh.gif

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Aug 13 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #17499

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Yep, I learned not to jump to conclusions over the translations. Like I said earlier, the line was cute and fitting because he's right - Riza did talk him out of it - and after reading it, I just left the line alone.

+Quote Post
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Aug 13 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #17500

Alchemists

Member No.: 65,533

Ah.... Well, mistranslated as the scene is (even though just barely....), it's still a small Royai moment to me! biggrin.gif Riza saves Roy with a mistranslated plea, and Roy acknowledges the mistranslated saving with.... a mistranslated acknowledgment. Ha ha! Still a cute moment either way if you ask me. It's really amazing how picky we are when it comes to translations though.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Aug 13 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #17501

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

Oh jeez. Does it matter if he says MY or THE first lieutenant? I mean, she literally is his first lieutenant (and I don't even mean this in a Royai-ish way), considering she works as his subordinate. So saying 'my' wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to say, if he really did say it. So that difference in translation is pretty irrelevant. He's still referring to the same person anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Aug 13 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #17502

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

you know that fullmetal fighting game that has a ending of Mustang dream becoming law. In that video you see his ending and it involve Riza in a miniskirt but beware, Armstrong is also in a miniskirt.

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm7758842

I guess at cons people can say

Armstrong is dead sexy in a miniskirt

hahahhaha

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Aug 13 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #17503

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Aug 13 2009, 08:10 PM) *
Oh jeez. Does it matter if he says MY or THE first lieutenant? I mean, she literally is his first lieutenant (and I don't even mean this in a Royai-ish way), considering she works as his subordinate. So saying 'my' wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to say, if he really did say it. So that difference in translation is pretty irrelevant. He's still referring to the same person anyway.

Well, well, calm down. In the translation that HisshouBuraiKen just posted (scanlations have some differences, dunno why), "Lieutenant" is written in capital letters. In Japanese, the characters have all the same style, so there is no special stress. That is also a mistranslation (and that's important in FMA, since the font and the details of the characters vary a lot... and do count).

Besides, Japanese does have some ways of emphasizing the membership of someone. "Uchi no" before "Lieutenant" would mean Roy is stressing that she belongs to his squad. But he didn't say it that way. Not even the context allows for such an interpretation.
So it's sweet but not Royai, in my opinion. Just a simple, true statement: she was the one who ended up convincing him (not that Ed and Scar hadn't helped before wink.gif ).

I'm picky about translations, way too much for my own good. Sorry if I have bothered anyone because of that.

Not that I deny Royai. In this regard, the way Roy loosened Riza's grip on her weapon is way more meaningful than any royaish mistranslation.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 13 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #17504

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Aug 13 2009, 07:07 AM) *

Edited:

(I'm only quoting one of the conversations on this topic to show that which topic I'm talking about.)

*First off, wave to Kaori-san!! WELCOME!! happy.gif *

As you noticed, I haven't finished translating the new chapter yet... because... I'm having an awful time with my NET connection and I'm even having hard time opening up the page-by-page view album Causmicfire had kindly made. And, my connection keeps going on and off, so the editing of my post with translations again & again to add each new translation for successive pages is nearly impossible at the moment. sad.gif

Anyway, in the posted part above, in the raw there is nothing to indicate THE or MY or whatever. It just says "Lieutenant" ...no "the" nor "my" and actually that's fairly usual in Japanese, and in these cases each translator has to "fill in the gap" so to speak.
In this case, I would translate it with "the" as that would be more neutral and fit for the occasion, IMO. smile.gif

(Edited out the rest because the rest was OT talk about the translation stuff. XD)

--------------------

+Quote Post
rinoaebastel
post Aug 13 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #17505

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,455

QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Aug 13 2009, 08:35 PM) *
you know that fullmetal fighting game that has a ending of Mustang dream becoming law. In that video you see his ending and it involve Riza in a miniskirt but beware, Armstrong is also in a miniskirt.

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm7758842

I guess at cons people can say

Armstrong is dead sexy in a miniskirt

hahahhaha

LOL i never saw this....wich history is? roy's one?

--------------------

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 05:42 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css