HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 9: Created Feelings - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Spoilers for th efirst 9 episodes!!
mira mirth
post Jun 2 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #91

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,190

@Sannom, Winry's wrench-throwing is indeed better than normal in this episode, I just happen to be hugely allergic to it in all forms.

And I'm not disputing that Maria has a point. I've said more on what I think about her actions in a few other posts, which you might not have read and I cannot be bothered to find and quote. Let it be said that you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, and leave it at that =) After all, we don't all have to agree.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jun 2 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #92

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I was going to comment about the episode, but really I think I need to remind people that the spam rules still apply on these threads.

I'm very glad you enjoy the episodes, but please write something more than "OMG that was so cool!!!!!" Most of you are, in fact discussions are getting quite in depth.

As for Winry's wrench throwing, if she hadn't done it at all she wouldn't be Winry. I think it was important in this episode but hopefully she won't be doing it too much more. Her manga character is far more developed than that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrystalMoonKiss
post Jun 2 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #93

Citizen

Member No.: 62,553

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 1 2009, 05:15 PM) *
QUOTE (Krokgard @ Jun 1 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Yeee! FMA guy's fans rules!

By the way, I'm re-watching this episode right now. When Winry shouts at the phone with Ed (you know, "stop use my auto-mail for hitting people"), does her voice become the voice of Ed?

Yeah, it was like that when I watched it too. I think maybe it's Ed's imagination, or it's just to emphasize how angry she is tongue.gif

I think she had Ed's voice because it was what Ed thought she would scream to him the moment he said he had busted the automail, that was why he was shocked to hear how she only said she would go. She didn't scream to him, it was just Ed's imagination happy.gif

+Quote Post
Krokgard
post Jun 2 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #94

Citizen

Member No.: 68,794

I think she had Ed's voice because it was what Ed thought she would scream to him the moment he said he had busted the automail, that was why he was shocked to hear how she only said she would go. She didn't scream to him, it was just Ed's imagination

I see! I didn't catch that before, thanks!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jun 2 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #95

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

I found this episode to be truly moving it that is it the first time that the unbreakable bond between these two brothers is put to the test. I know that is the previous series, this episode was often referred to as the "existential Al angst" episode, but I found that was certainly not the case for the new series. Alīs emotions in this episode were more of fear that gave way to sheer anger and desperation. One could view Al doubting his own existence as a huge slap in the face and a full-out betrayal of his elder brother. However, I believe that Alīs doubts come from sheer fear and the belief that the one thing that Ed was afraid to say was the fact that all of Alīs memories were created. The scene with the little boy and the robot did such a great job at symbolically showing how Al must have thought that he was nothing more than a robot himself with preprogrammed thoughts and memories. One of FMAīs more philosophical themes deals with what it truly means to be a human being. I believe that Al questioning his own existence and identity is key to demonstrating this theme as well as deepening the bond between the two brothers. In the previous episode, Ed is forced to ask himself whether or not his little brother is truly human after defeating the Slicer brothers. If he were to deny that the Slicer brothers were inhuman, then he would also deny the fact that Al was human. Needless to say, I could "feel" the guilt and pure sadness radiating from Ed in this episode after Al openly challenges him.

I really loved how strong Winryīs character was in this episode in that she acts as the glue that brings the brothers back together. It was also thoroughly enjoyable to see Hughes give Winry advice regarding how to handle men and their inability to say things through words. I thought that it was Winry who ultimately brought Al back to reality after telling Al the true thing that Ed was so terribly afraid to ask. The flashback scene to young Ed during his automail surgery was absolutely heart-breaking and showed just how much guilt and complete sadness Ed must have had stored inside of him. I believe that the flashback showed Edīs undying love for his brother and his fear of losing his strong bond with Al.

The reconciliation between the two brothers was handled so well, and I found it to be a really moving scene. The desire of both the brothers to move on side-by-side really captures what I believe is going to become the predominant theme of the new series- that of movement and undying brotherhood. I think that this incident strengthened the relationship and bond between Ed and Al all the more and created a deep trust between them.

Side notes: The voice acting was superb in this episode. All the voice actors did such a great job of bringing their characters to life and getting the emotions across.

- Heh heh, I am so happy that they kept the milk scene.

-I loved how Ed hemorrhaged after Havoc asked if he was calling his girlfriend.

-The small glimpse of Scarīs arm made for some great foreshadowing.

- Hughes taking out his gun and threatening the little boys was freaking hilarious.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 10 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #96

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 9 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Apr 10 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #97

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

I liked and disliked this episode. But maybe I appreciate the cinematic quality of the first anime.

Regardless, I think this episode was more provocative.

Summary laugh.gif

-Ross's slap more funny in the first anime sad.gif
-Call to Winry was more hammed up in the first one
-Melancholy of Alphonse was more prevelant in this epi than the first anime; first anime felt dragged out.
-Milk fight...Funnier in the first one sad.gif
-HUGHES!
-Poor Winry laugh.gif
-Poor Winry at the party laugh.gif
-Loved the talk he gave Winry. Seemed more collected.
-"WHOEVAH TOUCHES MAH DAUGHTER GETS A CAP IN THEIR A$$!"

Yada yada..

The scene with Ed, Al, and Winry was very emotional, more so than the first anime. I applaud Catlin's emotion except her first line when she smacked Al with the wrench (hated the delivery). When I watched her shed tears, it didn't sound sappy at all; it sounded fluid and I FELT her emotions with her.

My complaint about the end was how the issue between Ed and Al was resolved. It was like nothing happened. Overall, it wasn't a spectacular episode, but by no means was it terrible. 8/10

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Apr 10 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #98

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I always liked that scene added for this episode where the boy is playing with the toy robot, but wait, how do they know about robots in the FMA world?

Also, I always thought it was a little silly that Alphonse would believe he was fake. Aren't there photos of young Al on that board in the Rockbell home? What a doofus. I think that the manga and Brotherhood definitely handled it better than the first series, though.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Apr 10 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #99

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Apr 11 2010, 12:36 AM) *
I always liked that scene added for this episode where the boy is playing with the toy robot, but wait, how do they know about robots in the FMA world?

Maybe it's a toy of a full body automail. smile.gif

Gah, I can't believe I missed the cameo of Izumi for a -second- time...

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Apr 10 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #100

Alchemists

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Apr 10 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Gah, I can't believe I missed the cameo of Izumi for a -second- time...

I didn't. I was waiting and looking for it cool.gif

@penguintruth Those could have been created by Edward too.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Apr 10 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #101

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Come on, they don't have Photoshop in the FMA world!

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Apr 10 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #102

Alchemists

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Apr 10 2010, 10:49 PM) *
Come on, they don't have Photoshop in the FMA world!

You can transmute anything. If Ed can pull a detailed spear out of the ground, then why not?

Al had perfect reason to have doubts at the time.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 10 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #103

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Apr 10 2010, 10:38 PM) *
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Apr 11 2010, 12:36 AM) *

Maybe it's a toy of a full body automail. smile.gif

Heh yeah, I was gonna say, they already have robotic limbs... Not that big a stretch then for people to imagine full automatons and merchandise toys of them.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 10 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #104

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Alchemy silly. He could have created the pictures.

Anyways. I thought it was a good episode. It felt fast to me though sad.gif
-Maxey had some good delivering bits. Some parts were a bit.. eh. And then other parts she's just so spot on it makes you cry with joy that that is Alphonse talking... But overall, Good Alphonse filled episode biggrin.gif
-Caitlin actually did really well. She's doing something different and I like it. I actually FELT the emotion when she was smacking Al over and over. But then again, when she first hit him it wasn't how it should have sounded. The yell had no emotion. That was my only complaint the "Al you MORON" line.
-Vic had some intersting moments... the flash back to him crying. Emotionally, I didn't feel it. Nothing. Which made me mad. I'm sorry. He could have done his !angst!whisper and that would have been better.
-Elicia wasn't as baby talk. Which made it all goood.
-Sonny was awesome
-Same with Sabat biggrin.gif Those two are flawless.
-Tatums Scar is working for me. smile.gif And yay Scar Dream!
-What's his face that does Kimblee is still really hard to get used to. But it didn't feel like "mad bomber" in this episode. Which made me happy. It was moving more towards the Smooth Criminal that we know and love.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 10 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #105

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Well, he is a mad bomber. He's just supposed to be better at keeping it bottled up this time around.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Copyright Đ2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css