HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The 7 Sins (not Homunculi, Real Sins ^^) Discussions, Which one is the most dangerous/better/whatnot. Tell us your thoughts
The 7 Sins
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 75
Guests cannot vote 
Bling_bling_Ange...
post Jul 9 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #91

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,504

Pride is generally the root of why people screw up, if you think about it...mellow.gif I guess, for me, that's the heaviest of the 7.

--------------------

F.L.I.P = F. un/ L. oving/ I. ntelligent/ P. inay

"Vive le Universite du Sto. Thome!" =D Thomasian pride, people!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jul 10 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #92

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Jul 10 2007, 01:56 AM) [snapback]560841[/snapback]
Pride is generally the root of why people screw up, if you think about it...mellow.gif I guess, for me, that's the heaviest of the 7.

No, that's why WOMEN screw up.

Men screw up because of lust and greed, mostly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The RZA
post Jul 10 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #93

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 10,913

^^^Throw some Sloth in there too Bacon. Becasue if you combine men + food + beer + tv = lazy as hell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fujihakama
post Jan 1 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #94

Citizen

Member No.: 45,336

I say Pride. Some people pride themselves too much above everything and everyone else.......would you call that arrogance, or just pride?
Also, most people make HUGE mistakes because they were too proud.

--------------------
__

**./\__/\*******
**(=`^`)******.
**.i'''''''''''i******
**( _U_U_)==>*

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Feb 5 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #95

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy @ Jul 10 2007, 03:08 PM) *
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Jul 10 2007, 01:56 AM) *

No, that's why WOMEN screw up.

Men screw up because of lust and greed, mostly.

Are you saying man are greedier than women? I can kind of understand the lust part because of genetics, but that still isn't completely true. And I'd say men are just as prone to pride, if not moreso than women. Think about the whole "I'm a man, I've to act like one" that leads to so many problems. I really don't think any sin is seperated to any specific gender.

As for the most dangerous, I would have to say greed. Greed leads to so many other problems, and worse yet, it can never be satisfied; we just go on wanting more and more and more...

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Mar 12 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #96

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

Guess what, there're 14 now.

The Vatican recently decided on seven 'social sins' to accompany the cardinal vices, in case anyone wants to look at these. I think they decided to be a lot more controversial this time around. Personally, I think they got about five, though two more than make up for their temporary lapse into sanity.

1. "Bioethical" violations such as birth control

2. "Morally dubious" experiments such as stem cell research

3. Drug abuse

4. Polluting the environment

5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor

6. Excessive wealth

7. Creating poverty

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
Colette
post Mar 19 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #97

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

I heard about this the day they were announced.

It's absolutely ridiculous. The POINT of the original seven is that they're sins we ALL commit, and we're supposed to cut down on them. So, I guess I need to cut down on my drug dealing? And there's the fact than a good chunk of them are modern issues, and certainly not timeless like the original seven.

Not to mention almost all these sins can be under the original 7. Excessive wealth -> Greed, etc.

And there's also the fact that it's HIGHLY hypocritical of them. I don't know about you, but last I heard, the Catholic church was obscenely rich.

Though it rises an interesting point. If we have 7 new sins, don't we need 7 new holy virtues?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Mar 23 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #98

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,484

[snip]

5, 6 and 7 overlap. o.O

Meh, the 7 new ones go into the existing 7 ones. Maybe they think we're too stupid to realise that, so they've gotten more specific, not to mention contemporary.

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
cherry-chan. :D
post Jul 12 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #99

Citizen

From: a relatively small country at the South East of Xing. 8D
Member No.: 69,870

It's really hard to decide, but I voted Pride. I'm a Catholic, and going to a Catholic school, I've been taught with things regarding sins and religion and all that. I think pride is the... deadliest sin because as I remember from my studies, pride is the root of all evil--or of all sin.

(This is why I was so amazed at Arakawa-san's work on the homunculi. XD Pride being the first homunculus and all.)

+Quote Post
Edward Cardinal ...
post Jul 12 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #100

Citizen

Member No.: 59,819

The generally accepted hierarchy of the Seven Cardinal Sins (the order used by Pope St. Gregory I) is:

From least to greatest "severity"
  • Lust
  • Gluttony
  • Greed
  • Sloth
  • Wrath
  • Envy
  • Pride
As others have stated, pride is the "greatest" of the seven, and the one from which all evil inherently follows (pride was the capital offense which drove Lucifer away from God as he desired to become God himself). Pride is a particularly dangerous attitude because it can lead one not only to sin materially, but also to deny one's wrongdoings (impenitence).

Further, there are three subgroups of sorts within the master list of Cardinal Sins:

The first three lust, gluttony, and greed are of lesser overall severity as they represent the disordered desire for that which is basically good in nature.

The middle one sloth is essentially the lack of any desire to make proper use of the goods and talents that God has bestowed upon man.

The last three wrath, envy, and pride are more serious because they describe the improper desire for that which is inherently contrary to love.

QUOTE (MonsterEnvy @ Mar 13 2008, 01:49 AM) *

The Vatican recently decided on seven 'social sins' to accompany the cardinal vices, in case anyone wants to look at these. I think they decided to be a lot more controversial this time around. Personally, I think they got about five, though two more than make up for their temporary lapse into sanity.

The many wonders of what happens when the sensationalist media tries to analyze matters pertaining to the Church. In all truth, the original team of seven remains unaltered. The Church was simply trying to provide some teaching and direct guidance in relating the Seven Cardinal Sins to a few modern issues that impact the lives of individuals today. Nothing was actually changed, the popular media just tried to spin the story in that way to grab attention.

QUOTE (Summoner Colette @ Mar 19 2008, 06:25 PM) *
And there's also the fact that it's HIGHLY hypocritical of them. I don't know about you, but last I heard, the Catholic church was obscenely rich.

The whole idea that the Church is crazy rich is really more a matter of public perception than a concrete fact. The Catholic Church, last I checked, was the world's largest charitable organization and educator. While there was definitely a time in the past where members of the Catholic clergy lived in extravagance, this is definitely not the norm in the modern Church. The typical salary of a parish priest, while certainly plenty to live off of, is nothing to write home about these days (and tends not to adjust well for inflation in my understanding). People like to point toward all of the fine and lavishly adorned structures and items that the Church owns and pronounce such as proof of wastefulness and decadence, but what such individuals fail to grasp is that most if not all of these things are not owned by members of the hierarchy for their individual use, but rather they are goods that have been made to glorify God. The Church cannot simply sell such items; they are of singular, unique value and dedicated to God in a special manner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nzm
post Jul 16 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #101

Citizen

Member No.: 70,107

Wrath, as it is highly connected with aggression.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Jul 16 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #102

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I'd say Pride, if you are a humble person, I think it's unlikely you will commit the other sins, particually those like Wrath, as you would feel yourself equal to others and wouldn't want to make them suffer. I also think Greed as that can act as a stem for other sins, and wrath because its very unpleasant to be on the reciving end of someones out of control temper.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Night Watcher Al...
post Jun 28 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #103

Citizen

Member No.: 74,009

as great as the arguments are, I'd have to say envy. Without envy, the other sins wouldn't form.

Someone who is envious, or jealous, to make it similar, might want things, leading to greed.

They may want sex when everyone else has it, which brings lust.

If one is jealous that they can't rest, they may just become sloth anyways.

Maybe someone is too hungry, and is jealous that they don't get as much food; gluttony helps satisfy the hunger.

One can also get angry out of envy because of what one has, or by actions they believe should be of their own; wrath can show up quite easily.

Pride, though hard enough to understand, simply has an envy over the attitude of another, and with it, takes action to show how much better the other is, so they can feel proud.

Yes, I agree, they are all dangerous, but without envy, none of them would even exist.
Reason for edit: Removed image and reduced font size

+Quote Post
Carmencita
post Jun 28 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #104

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,440

I believe out of all sins I have to say I was born with envy. And I have my reasons for saying that and maybe sometimes its gone over the top to bring about, what the above has said, wrath, I don't find envy the most dangerous sin.

I heard from someone that pride was the worst. But I was reading on a wiki page and the sin I find most dangerous is not on the list. Despair.

One drowned in despair as isolated one's self from society and one with this sin can take their own life causing death of a human. One drowned in despair might also wish to murder others or torture others to prove to themself that they are not most miserable which might again end in death.

But then again, with too much pride one may make very bad mistakes and with envy--well theft is never a good thing which once again leads to greed. It's really a tough subject i need more time to think over (*is eating dinner*). May this be all I have to say for now?

+Quote Post
Night Watcher Al...
post Jun 29 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #105

Citizen

Member No.: 74,009

QUOTE (Carmencita @ Jun 28 2010, 06:32 PM) *
I believe out of all sins I have to say I was born with envy. And I have my reasons for saying that and maybe sometimes its gone over the top to bring about, what the above has said, wrath, I don't find envy the most dangerous sin.

I heard from someone that pride was the worst. But I was reading on a wiki page and the sin I find most dangerous is not on the list. Despair.

One drowned in despair as isolated one's self from society and one with this sin can take their own life causing death of a human. One drowned in despair might also wish to murder others or torture others to prove to themself that they are not most miserable which might again end in death.

But then again, with too much pride one may make very bad mistakes and with envy--well theft is never a good thing which once again leads to greed. It's really a tough subject i need more time to think over (*is eating dinner*). May this be all I have to say for now?

i thought we were talking about the seven from the manga...oh well. Carmentica, as great as u make it sound, i still disagree.

Envy, the character, was true in despair, but tht is because he himself had envied humans that they could actually have friendship. through tht envy itself had brought his own despair, and caused him to commit suicide. there ya go! yet another way envy is proven deadly...

QUOTE (Night Shadow Alchemist @ Jun 16 2007, 05:13 PM) *
envy, revenge is never good and always dangerous

i second tht!

QUOTE (Envy II @ Jun 16 2007, 06:15 PM) *
How can envy be so dangerous?

I'm curious. Not everybody who's envious kills. >_>

I'd say wrath is the most dangerous when I really think of it. Revenge seems to be what people typically kill others over.

true, not everyone kills, but envy can lead one into wanting revenge by hurting the others' pride, or it can lead to despair, also leading to suicide; ive seen it take course, and i didnt like it.

QUOTE (Amalthea @ Jun 16 2007, 07:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Envy II @ Jun 16 2007, 09:15 PM) *
How can envy be so dangerous?

I'm curious. Not everybody who's envious kills. >_>

I'd say wrath is the most dangerous when I really think of it. Revenge seems to be what people typically kill others over.

I remember reading on Wikipedia under the Seven Deadly Sins that envious people are typically pleased when the person they are jealous of suffers. (This even describes the FMA character perfectly!) That itself could lead to danger if you think outside the box.

Also, if someone is so insanely jealous of someone, they may go to drastic measures to be like that person/obtain what that person has.

i read tht too! it made a lot of sense on how to describe the character, and wht some ppl can stoop to just for accepting envy.

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Dec 31 2006, 02:14 AM) *
QUOTE (Demon x @ Dec 31 2006, 08:43 AM) *
yeah but you forgot a very important point that pride can be easily avoided un-like lust.

1) You can't avoid feeling pride in the same way you can't avoid feeling any other emotion.
2) While you also can't avoid Lust you an choose not to act on it, like when one sees a delicious looking cake in a bakers window but does not go in and buy/steal it then proceed to gorge upon it.

Also:
Lust does not cause AIDs. You can AIDs without lusting for the heroine/sexual partner/bodily liquid of those with AIDs.
Yeah, if you lust after someone and screw them without protection then you can get AIDs. If you are Greedy and sleep with many partners without protection or take heroine then you could get AIDs. Or some arse could just spit in your Big Mac and spread AIDs that way.
Lust =/= AIDs.

he has a point. a feeling can never b avoided but u can choose not to react with it! with it, u choose wht u should or shouldnt do, but the feeling's still there.

For example: say tht, idk, yer a little kid, yer mom had just made yer favorite cookies, and said tht u could hav one, and said she was saving the rest. Wht's gonna stop u to b as greedy to want more, and act gluttonous so u can hav more.

Note from moderator: Please AVOID using "txt talk" and instead use STANDARD ENGLISH spelling when posting on our board.
For example, please use "be" and not "b," "that" not "tht," "you" not "u," and so on. Thank you. smile.gif
Reason for edit: merged all consecutive postings. On our board please use EDIT to add additional comments in the case of concurrent postings. :)

--------------------
The ways of death can be as mysterious as the night-best watch your back for the shadows may hold a secret...

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 12:23 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css