HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Manga Re-read It From The Beginning, Session 1, Chapter 1, (for Week Of July 11, 2010) Full Spoiler Warning!, "Ohhh, now I know," chapter 1 "Re-reading" discussions
Rentanjutsushi
post Jul 13 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,532

Quotes can't seem to work for me right now so I'll just not use them. [/n00b]

@Tombow: Yup, that circle. :D And as to the Law of Natural Providence, maybe it's untrue? Seeing as Ed is changing atomic properties of matter in Chapter 3, when he transmutes coal (?) into gold.

@Causmicfire: Wow, I never realized the chimera was similar to the Amestrian flag!

@Kasumisty: I also thought Rose was being kind of annoyingly weak in the first chapter. At least later in the manga she redeems herself by actually doing something useful, unlike in the anime where she becomes some sort of priestess-or-other with a baby.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jul 15 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Rereading a book after you already know the ending really does make you pick up on different things the second time around.

First off, I love how Arakawa sets the stage with a dark glimpse into the night that the brothers' transmutation with the fateful quote that will really set the tone for the entire manga. For those who aren't familiar with the story, I am sure that one sinister glimpse of the transmutation is enough to capture their attention and make them want to turn the next page. One would expect to discover the answer to what happened on the first page, but Arakawa chooses to whisk us away to Reole instead. As Michiyo stated, it really leaves a lot to the imagination of the reader and leaves them with many questions as to what just took place on the first page.

I am always fascinated by motifs of religion and science in novels, and it was rather entertaining to see how Arakawa handled them in this chapter. I like how the owner of the cantina thought that Al was performing a miracle when he transmuted the broken radio; as the story progresses we learn that alchemy is something beyond a mere science and can be viewed as almost spiritual in a sense. The figure of Father Cornello reminds of those slimy televangelists who hide behind the guise of religion while conning innocent people of their money. I actually felt bad for Rose who was so blinded by the desire to resurrect her dead boyfriend that she fell deeper and deeper into Cornello's trap. I actually have to say that I thought that Arakawa gave us a pretty cynical view of religion as a corrupter of the masses and I like how she used Ed, a boy who has committed one of the greatest sins, to point out the Cornello's fraud. While I felt bad for Rose, who had all of her hopes crushed, I don't think that the brothers would have let her continue believing that the dead could be brought back to life after attempting human transmutation themselves and now being walking testimonies of what happens when one tries to resurrect the dead.

Is it just me or did Ed seem really cocky and prideful in this chapter? You think that somebody who committed the greatest sin in alchemy, who transgressed into God’s territory, who lost two limbs and who now has a walking suite of armor for a brother would be just a little more humble. Nope, not in the slightest. Even Rose mentions Ed’s pride after he states that alchemists are in fact the closest people to God. I really like how Arakawa crafted Ed’s personality like that. He isn’t one of those stereotypical shounen characters who is so squeaky clean; he is terribly flawed, but we get to see him grow and mature as the story progresses. It makes his character just that much more believable and really goes to show just how much of a talented story-teller Arakawa is. I also really enjoyed how Arakawa snuck in the famous Greek myth of Icarus and Daedalus and how the story was made that more powerful as it was Ed who was the one telling it. I think that anybody who is familiar with that myth can really see how it hits homes for both Ed and Al.

I also like how Ed doesn’t have the highest morals in the world in this chapter. He desires Cornello’s “Philosopher’s Stone” so much, that he is willing to let Cornello continue scamming people if he hands him the stone. The again, it could have just been a way of getting Cornello to talk.
Yeah! The chapter ends with the infamous line that will also end the second-to-last chapter. Arakawa, you are such a genius. (Possible spoiler for those who haven't finished chapter 107)

Fun things I liked in this chapter:
-Sigh, memories. I missed Ed getting called a midget and blowing up at people.
-The towns-people mistaking Al for his older brother.
-Ed using Al’s head as a bowling ball.
-Ed’s infamous transmuted spear.

~How old are Ed and Al supposed to be in this chapter?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Calvero
post Jul 16 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 2,107

It makes more sense that the name of the city would be spelled Leore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leor

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 16 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #34

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Calvero @ Jul 16 2010, 07:12 AM) *
It makes more sense that the name of the city would be spelled Leore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leor

Aha, interesting thought! We can ponder about the location names in FMA! ^^

How about... this one? La Réole.
I noticed that in this chapter Rose is spelled Rosé, so... this might coincide? ^^ (Or, not xD)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Jul 16 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

Ah, I didn't realize the reread had started already! ohmy.gif
I'll post here in a bit, this week has just been really chaotic. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsLinn
post Jul 18 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 72,213

I'm sorry I'm late, but in Sweden weeks starts on mondays, so I feel like I have the whole sunday on me to write! xD

I started reading FMA becasue I was just getting interested in manga and Winry was very cute on the cover of volume 5. But I almost gave up while reading the radio-speach in the begining. I didn't understand what in God's name they were talking about! xD The humour kept me reading, though!

The alchemy-reactions seems VERY, eh...windy(?) here in the begining. Even though they're not blowing things up.
Al doesn't say much! He's, like, mysterious!

--------------------

Long live the love we shared. In our Fullmetal hearts.

+Quote Post
Calvero
post Jul 19 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 2,107

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 16 2010, 04:33 AM) *
QUOTE (Calvero @ Jul 16 2010, 07:12 AM) *

Aha, interesting thought! We can ponder about the location names in FMA! ^^

How about... this one? La Réole.
I noticed that in this chapter Rose is spelled Rosé, so... this might coincide? ^^ (Or, not xD)

I think that was just a mistake. If it was Rosé then it should be pronounced Rozay, and if it was Réole then it would be pronounced Rayole.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 19 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #38

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

^ Yeah, Leore maybe right for the town's name. As for the case for Rose, I found that the raw is actually spelling more closer to Rosé (Rozay) than Rose (rōz) and I checked the raw for later chapter when Rose appears again, such as chapter 80, and there again, the Japanese katakana spelling used for her name is more closer to Rosé (Rozay) than Rose (rōz) which I did not realize till I read it again this time. ^^
Hence, for the spelling of the name of town, whatever the official English spelling for FMA manga is fine with me. ^^
And, for the case of Rose, I agree with the translator for Viz's volume book 1, Akira Watanabe, and I think it's more closer to Rosé than Rose according to the raw. smile.gif

---

QUOTE (Rentanjutsushi @ Jul 14 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Quotes can't seem to work for me right now so I'll just not use them. [/n00b]

@Rentanjutsushi - Welcome to our board, and welcome to the Re-reading sessions! ^^

* To quote someone's post, please go to the post from which you want to take a quote, and then click on "REPLY at the bottom right corner of that post. This will open up your reply composing window, with that post already included as a quote, with all the quote source info (where that quote is from) already included. You can then TRIM off any portion of that quote that is not related to your reply, compose the rest of your post, then click on Add Reply at the bottom.

* Or, if you want to quote multiple posts on your reply, you can also go to each of these posts you want to quote on your reply, then click on +QUOTE buttons at the bottom right part of all of these posts, then go to the bottom of the page and click on ADD REPLY, and that should open up your reply composing window, with all these posts already included as quotes, with all the quote source info (where those quotes are taken from) already included. You can then TRIM off any portion of these quotes that are not related to your reply, compose the rest of your post, then click on Add Reply at the bottom.

(Or, if you are using FireFox 3.6 and having some technical problems while trying to compose posts with Full Edit/Add REPLY functions, please PM me and let me know. )
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Winry Chi
post Jul 20 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 71,100

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 13 2010, 09:05 PM) *
^ Winry Chi, we can put that, too, but then you have to be our "official kitty counter," and check every chapter and post and tell us how many kitties in that chapter (if any) for each chapter Re-reading thread. Xd Deal? biggrin.gif

Sounds like a deal! :3
I shall do so, I am sorry for the late reply. Working on Ch2 Kitty Counter now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rentanjutsushi
post Jul 21 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 74,532

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 19 2010, 07:38 PM) *
* To quote someone's post, please go to the post from which you want to take a quote, and then click on "REPLY at the bottom right corner of that post. This will open up your reply composing window, with that post already included as a quote, with all the quote source info (where that quote is from) already included. You can then TRIM off any portion of that quote that is not related to your reply, compose the rest of your post, then click on Add Reply at the bottom.

Thanks! :'D

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 04:49 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css