HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 8: The Fifth Laboratory - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible Spoilers for the first 8 episodes!
FullMetalFist
post May 25 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,694

I thought the animation was lacking, I did not think it looked all that great. I felt disappointed. Come on, when the building was falling down and everything was shaking. It looked terrible, it just looked like they shook the frames up and down. That is some terrible animation. When Ed was fighting slicer, his back flip looked awful, it just looked like an elongated blur. I thought this episode was the worst one animation wise. I do not know how you can just settle for horrible animation shots. It was very disappointing. The episode was ok, Al fighting Barry, I thought those shots were great. That ground shaking shot really bugs me, it was very poorly done. I think the first series still looks better, I am not biased, I am strictly looking at it as art, and I am not impressed. I think they need to step it up a notch. O well, go ahead crucify me now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Imbris
post May 26 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 63,564

QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ May 26 2009, 12:32 AM) *
I thought the animation was lacking, I did not think it looked all that great. I felt disappointed. Come on, when the building was falling down and everything was shaking. It looked terrible, it just looked like they shook the frames up and down. That is some terrible animation. When Ed was fighting slicer, his back flip looked awful, it just looked like an elongated blur. I thought this episode was the worst one animation wise. I do not know how you can just settle for horrible animation shots. It was very disappointing. The episode was ok, Al fighting Barry, I thought those shots were great. That ground shaking shot really bugs me, it was very poorly done. I think the first series still looks better, I am not biased, I am strictly looking at it as art, and I am not impressed. I think they need to step it up a notch. O well, go ahead crucify me now.

I won't crucify you, because it's your right to have your own opinion about the anime. However...I think you're totally wrong. I'm really not sure where your opinions are coming from, because for the vast majority of the new FMA so far, it's been animated beautifully. You seem to be finding a couple minor things per episode and exploiting them as if the animation is a complete mess as a whole. I really don't know what else to say...I suggest that for next week: just sit back, relax, and enjoy the anime; and stop thinking too hard about it. Okay...maybe that was a bit of a crucifixion. Sorry. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 26 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ May 26 2009, 06:32 AM) *
I thought the animation was lacking, I did not think it looked all that great. I felt disappointed. Come on, when the building was falling down and everything was shaking. It looked terrible, it just looked like they shook the frames up and down. When Ed was fighting slicer, his back flip looked awful, it just looked like an elongated blur.

Um, from what I know earthquakes or falling buildings are ALWAYS presented by shaking frames. How would you show it then? Animation was second the best. I don't know what's wrong with the backflip, it looked great, the blur was used, because Ed was CLOSE to the "camera". It's a common thing to do and has with dynamics of the scene. Please, do not say animation was bad by giving that examples. Episode 7th WAS badly animated.

And I guess you meant that:

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post May 26 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #49

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

QUOTE (Chiyo @ May 25 2009, 04:41 PM) *
With the way its going, I predict mid-way guy will get to the stage of "give me an 'F', give me a 'u'" and we'll all lose the will to live.

I must admit I laughed. But really, that voice makes me facepalm every single episode...

I'm with people in this being one of the best episodes so far. My favourite parts are the appearances of the homunculi and Kimbley - the music there is good, there's a certain level of epic-ness about the scenes. And I think the first meeting of Ed and the homunculi (and them killing the Slicers) made a bigger impact on me in this version than it did in the manga - and that's impressive considering how huch I generally like the manga. This is practically where the plot starts, and it got the beginning it deserved.

Somewhat annoyed by Al panting in the end - how could they make such a stupid mistake? I'm half-sure that might have happened in episode 3 as well (thought that might've been Ed instead).

And I must say, Kimbley is deliciously creepy in this version. I can't wait to see more of him - which is a long time away, but I'll have Ling in the meantime so it's OK.

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post May 26 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

QUOTE (Ropespinner @ May 26 2009, 10:49 AM) *
QUOTE (Chiyo @ May 25 2009, 04:41 PM) *
With the way its going, I predict mid-way guy will get to the stage of "give me an 'F', give me a 'u'" and we'll all lose the will to live.

I must admit I laughed. But really, that voice makes me facepalm every single episode...

biggrin.gif I thought the voice was even ok, but when he said the title at the Scieszka's eyecatcher, I headdesked. And then at Slicer's. I waant to livee ;.;

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
TheGreed
post May 26 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 67,670

I've got to say I really enjoyed this episode. I loved Ed's first meeting with Lust and Envy, and the music during that scene was just fantastic, it really added to the effect of when the brothers were being killed, despite them just being pieces of armour, I was feeling quite shocked and almost sad, they put well into my mind that these were human beings, just as much Ed believes that. I find myself looking forward to each episode more and more, loved it!

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 26 2009, 06:27 AM
Post #52

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 26 2009, 11:45 AM) *
QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ May 26 2009, 06:32 AM) *
I thought the animation was lacking, I did not think it looked all that great. I felt disappointed. Come on, when the building was falling down and everything was shaking. It looked terrible, it just looked like they shook the frames up and down. When Ed was fighting slicer, his back flip looked awful, it just looked like an elongated blur.

Um, from what I know earthquakes or falling buildings are ALWAYS presented by shaking frames. How would you show it then? Animation was second the best. I don't know what's wrong with the backflip, it looked great, the blur was used, because Ed was CLOSE to the "camera". It's a common thing to do and has with dynamics of the scene. Please, do not say animation was bad by giving that examples. Episode 7th WAS badly animated.

And I guess you meant that:

heh, yeah, I think the blur effect on this one was a brilliant idea. smile.gif Heck, isn't that how things always go even when you camera-shoot something in live? Things get too close, they get blurred. I also don't see what was the reason that made this part 'bad'.

And the shaking, too. I mean, everyone has their opinions, but it just saddens me how some people get so overly pessimistic and find faults in every episode, no matter how well they were done. D: Personally, I can't imagine how this episode could be done any better. Animation-wise. smile.gif It was brilliant.

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post May 26 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

Hmm, I was okay with the animation this ep, but I can also see how someone could prefer the version from the previous anime. I just rewatched it last week and was most struck by the difference in the perceived "weight" of the characters. In the first anime, I recall one shot in particular, one of Ed's backflips, in which you could practically feel the muscles in his arm contract as he struggles to flip his weight over. I used to be a gymnast myself and can especially empathize with that! XD I just mean to say, that slight delay before he actually manages to flip over felt very real to me.

Alternatively, in this new anime, I did kind of think a few of the flips were just a little too fast/effortless. A motion blur is fine when you're close to the camera, but some which were farther off seemed like blurs as well. There's a fine line between quick and unrealistic. But then, hey, it's animation, you're only as realistic as you want to be! Also, I've gotten the impression that Ed is smaller, lighter and more "fragile"/childlike thus far than he was in the first anime anyway, so maybe this different style of combat is also more suiting to the new overall style.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 26 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #54

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

Reminder to anyone who would like to go into extended discussions on animation & art style of this series, or series 1 vs series 2 discussion, beyond the content of this episode: (just in case ^^)

We also have
* Series-2 Art Style discussion thread, and
* Series 1 vs Series 2 thread. smile.gif

~ Now, please carry on with the current discussion!! biggrin.gif ~

--------------------

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post May 26 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #55

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

this ep was so EPIC with all the fights and all. man so can't wait on till i can see the next ep of fma. EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post May 26 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

On my first watch I really didn't like this episode very much at all. But I watched it again and the second time it was quite good. The slicer fight was nice and intense, and the episode hardcore religiously followed the manga. I can't wait for the future manga action! Next two eps should be awesome

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post May 26 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

Well I decided to give the episode a second chance, I thought the art was well done. I still think the building blowing up looked kind of screwy, but it was not that bad. The fight scenes looked awesome too.

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post May 26 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #58

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Saw this episode earlier today and here's a few thoughts:

- Thought the fight scenes were well-done (very fluid and actually edited quite nicely)

- Great interaction with Roy & Maes (both conversations) as it was a nice break from the more serious nature of the episode

- Envy's still quite a dork, but 'he' was always a character that I always 'loved to hate'

- Nice to see Kimbley again, especially when he hints at his knowledge of the true nature of Lab 5.

+Quote Post
Hyperthia
post May 26 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #59

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,952

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 24 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Did anyone notice that in the preview for episode 9 when Ed is talking on the phone (to Winry), he's sitting on a bench but his feet aren't touching the ground? It made me laugh tongue.gif

LOLZ! Yeah that made me laugh laugh.gif Poor Ed

--------------------
Siggy made by hilary::Avatar by me: link (do not use)
My FanFiction and DeviantArt accounts. :)

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 28 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #60

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

This episode was amazing! (I watched it the other day, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it.) The animation in this was so well done, the art wasn't lazy at all. In fact it was rather lovely and Ed (at times) was rather sexy. ;D And yay Barry! I'm very impressed with the fight scene, the dialogue, the voice acting, everything! This episode was definitely the best one yet and I'm VERY excited to see the new one this Sunday! biggrin.gif EdxWin ftw!! happy.gif Ahem...sorry. Anyway, yes. Very good episode. Really have no complaints, except for Al panting at the end of this one. xD Unless of course it could've been overwhelming emotion or a typical human soul reaction to something so powerful spoken and possibly believed.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 04:11 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css