HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 42: Signs Of A Counteroffensive - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 42 episodes
Jealous Rogo
post Feb 4 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #16

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,019

uh... I don't think they could because we know for the nation wide one more than just the circle is needed. Plus it's hard to 'accidentally' activate a transmutation circle. That and there were no materials to transmute with within the circle. As for the other circle, I think it's the same dealio.

I think if an alchemist could 'accidentally' activate a circle, I think Father's plan would've been foiled a while ago lol

'Do, de, do" *trips, masssive flash* "WHOOOPS!!"

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Feb 4 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #17

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

Heh, okay, but what about the more minor circles diagrammed in the books themselves? Can alchemists just set something on the page and transmute it with the depicted circle? A circle's a circle, no matter what it's made of, right?

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Feb 4 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Nice explanation, Ropespinner.

It still feels like it was a 'strike of luck' that they managed to figure out how to place the pages and get it right.

Even if doable, it would certainly be more complex in reality. And take longer time. How would you know which pages go on top of eachother and which ones under?

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Feb 4 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #19

Apprentice

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Feb 4 2010, 06:56 AM) *
Heh, okay, but what about the more minor circles diagrammed in the books themselves? Can alchemists just set something on the page and transmute it with the depicted circle? A circle's a circle, no matter what it's made of, right?

Um... I suppose if they put the papaer on top or under what their transmuting? I dunno tbh, and I think we're getting off topic lol.

Also I agree with Broken Chouchou about the scene being still unrealistic, however how MIND-NUMBINGLY DULL, would it be if they did everything realistically lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Feb 4 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Feb 4 2010, 11:41 AM) *
QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Feb 4 2010, 06:56 AM) *

Um... I suppose if they put the papaer on top or under what their transmuting? I dunno tbh, and I think we're getting off topic lol.

Also I agree with Broken Chouchou about the scene being still unrealistic, however how MIND-NUMBINGLY DULL, would it be if they did everything realistically lol.

I don't think it's a problem. The way that they cut away in the middle of that scene suggests that it may have taken some time to get the placement right.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Feb 4 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #21

Apprentice

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Feb 4 2010, 10:32 AM) *
How would you know which pages go on top of eachother and which ones under?

Hmm, I suppose Mufasa could have put the same circles on both the top and bottom pages just in case. I took another long look at this scene... You start with the assumption that all the pages are in the same orientation, since that way the directions won't be arbitrary. The keywords are spread so as to link the pages with each other, which puts them in the proper positions once all the links are found. The most prominent circles seen in this arrangement form the key points of the big transmutation circle, while the smaller circles next to them tell which directions to radiate the lines in. (That's how they know to draw a circle and a pentagon on the outside and another pentagon on the inside, rather than pentagrams or another circle on the inside.)

Now for the reverse circle... Again, I think the circles that served as its endpoints would have to be drawn on the backs of both pages that contained the key words, in case you put a different page on top. It appears you're supposed to assume that the inner lines stop at the inner circles rather than continuing back to the outer edge and forming a pentagram--the little line guide circles are starting to look ambiguous to me at this point. You're also supposed to realize that the little circles are actually used in the full circle rather than just guiding the lines, I think.

It's also interesting to think about how Mufasa would have made the code in the first place. He would have needed the finished circle somewhere as a guide, without it showing up on the pages themselves. Maybe it was a big sheet underneath everything, and the pages were thin enough to see through? So he gets the papers in this neat overlapping pile, draws the key points of the circle as prominent little circles, and writes key words where the pages overlap, carefully peeling each top page back to write the words and draw the circles again in the same spots on the bottom page. Then he flips all the pages and draws the circles for the reverse circle, again doing both top and bottom pages. Then he's got to write all those notes, trying to make those seemingly random circles make sense in context, and writing paragraphs so that wherever a key word happens to fall seems to make sense. Wow, and then our future scholars happen to think of the exact same scheme!

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Feb 5 2010, 01:12 AM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Feb 4 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Hmm, I suppose Mufasa could have put the same circles on both the top and bottom pages just in case.

It took me ages to figure out that reference XD Haha, either it's a pretty clever one or I'm just stupid. Gah, haven't watched the Lion King in years, so that might have something to do with it.

At first I was "what the HELL is he talking about", then after some pondering, I thought that perhaps by 'Mufasa' you were referring to Heinkel, if you had gotten the chimera names mixed up or something. Because Heinkel belongs to the other 'set' of chimeras.

Ahem, yeah, anyway, I like your theory about how Scar's brother created the code, makes sense.

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Feb 4 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Wow, and then our future scholars happen to think of the exact same scheme!

As I said, strike of luck.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 5 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #23

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Program Note>

@Disasterpiece - I took out the post with only a picture of a baby as your reply. Please join discussions on this thread by kindly using written words for expressing your thoughts and opinions. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Feb 5 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #24

Apprentice

Well, did they ever give Scar's brother a name? Because if not, then I'm sticking with Mufasa.

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post Feb 5 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #25

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

Was it ever explained how Kimblee managed to get a hold of the Drachma army? And in such short time? I'm guessing it's just something that's rushed over. When I first read the corresponding manga chapters, it felt that way, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Feb 5 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #26

Apprentice

I'd always assumed that this was a case that the Homunculus had already layed down teh ground work for Kimblee and that Drachma had always been ready to attack at any moment. Indeed the way Drachma is mentioned by the Briggs soldiers throughout the Briggs arc seems to suggest this. I think it was more of a case that Kimblee went into Drachma more as a 'oh hi yeah they say you can attack' sort of guy than he went in and convinced them to attack.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post Feb 5 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

Or maybe we were supposed to assume that Scar, Winry, Mei and co. were in that Isbalan settlement trying to decipher the code for far longer then it seems.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Feb 6 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #28

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I hadn't thought about that. Kimbley really did just kind of pop out of no where with an entire army. I guess we'll just have to assume more time passed than what we thought like Tezrath said.
I hope Brotherhood shows some of the action from it. That was the one thing with the Manga that made me a bit mad. I wanted to see Briggs just wipe Drachma all over the floor.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post Feb 10 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

I thought the episode was pretty good. I feel a little disappointed. I have not read this far into the manga though so hopefully it gets better. The timing of things in this show is a little weird but overall I am enjoying myself.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 13 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #30

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Progam Note>

QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ Feb 10 2010, 06:35 PM) *
...Does anyone know how many episodes there will be when the series ends?

@FullMetalFist, Hyperthia, & hawkflame - I moved your posts with the future episode discussions to FMA: Brotherhood future episodes discussion thread as this seems to be on the way to becoming more of an on-going discussion, but this is not about the content of this episode and hence off-topic on this thread. smile.gif

Please continue the discussions on "how many more episodes FMA:B will have," etc. on FMA: Brotherhood future episodes discussion thread. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css