Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter=devil?
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 8 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,729

Over the past few years, the extreme right have lost their power in this debate, but they're still out there. Some people believe Harry Potter is really a horrible series that is introducing our kids to devil worship and sorcery. But honestly, what I'd like to know is how many of these people have even read the books. I've got a perfect example. Ever since the books have come out, my pastor's been preaching on and on about how these books will "take us down a road we don't want to go". One day, after another one of his rants, I just got pissed and walked up to him. "Excuse me, but about your sermon today. I've got a question." "Yes?" "Have you even read Harry Potter?" ".......................Well.............no."
I have read all of these books several times, and I have yet to find a single source of evidence supporting this devil worship crap. I mean really, the entire theme of these books - love is the strongest bond, self-sacrifice, friendship - yeah, those are some real devil worshipping ideas right there.
And there are some concrete allegories (I'm not sure if this is the right term) that relate Harry Potter to the Bible, like what happens to Harry in the last book: Harry (Jesus?) gives his life freely, dies, then comes back to life and defeats Voldemort (Satan?)
Honestly, I would like to hear from some of those who believe these books are evil. I've wanted to get into this argument for years now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sokka12fan
post Oct 12 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 47,862

Ugh, that pastor shouldn't be talking about it if he didn't read the book >.<
i think it's evil. evil that it's such a good book XD

--------------------
hi people! i'm new here, so please be nice ^^

Watch my amvs:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Sokka12fan

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Oct 13 2007, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Lulz.

I am reminded of Gabriel.

Pft, this stuff was going on long before Harry Potter. Dungeons and Dragons for example got this sort of fire. Pokemon, Sailor Moon and other anime got this. Irt's just an irrational fear of something they don't quite understand or doesn't relate to their beliefs. All you can do is point and laugh.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Hanae Mai
post Oct 13 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 47,623

Harry Potter=devil?

WAHAHAAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Just like saying that Ed is the tallest char in FMA and Roy cries every four minutes

It's a book for children! Lovely and nice. Pple who say it's evil are pious, devout, and completely madheads. Especially those who haven't read it.
You don't need to argue GREED-chan. Harry Potter is not devil. Don't resent those stupid pple, and don't get pissed off. smile.gif Say, you can't argue with crazy fools, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 13 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Religious freaks cannot explain why there is so much evil in the world if God is meant to be looking after us. So lay the blame on childrens books destroying the minds of the young and you have your reason. Luckily not all religious folks are this nutty, I'm not suggesting that....but blaming a book like this for corruption in society is an easy way out.

Rock music and Columbine syndrome, find a scape goat and all will be well (I'm going to have to add a "like not" in here so some of you don't take that seriously as my opinion)

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Oct 16 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

I like to call those people Mr. Seriousface Grumpypants. Why not as well jump on Hamlet or Macbeth?

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 16 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Alchemists

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 16 2007, 08:41 PM) *
I like to call those people Mr. Seriousface Grumpypants. Why not as well jump on Hamlet or Macbeth?

That's a good point. Shakespeare is considered one of the greatest playwrights to ever live, and yet I seem to remember that the opening act of Macbeth involves three witches, not to mention that Hamlet has a ghost in it. Yet I don't here any fanatical right-wing religious freaks yelling about them!

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Oct 17 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #8

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 17 2007, 04:41 AM) *

Hamlet and Macbeth die though, thus getting what they deserve for mixing with the evilness.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
TheRainbowConnec...
post Oct 18 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 45,133

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 17 2007, 12:25 AM) *
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 17 2007, 04:41 AM) *

Hamlet and Macbeth die though, thus getting what they deserve for mixing with the evilness.

Point taken.

Rebuttal: A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest

Anyways. Do these people also act against Tolkien? Better yet...what about C.S. Lewis? He crafted worlds imaginary and downright magical, populated with fantastic creatures and bestrewn with dragons, witches, and magic-imbued artifacts. And yet, the entire series is a frickin' Christian allegory. OMG SPOILER: ASLAN IS JESUS. HE'S ALSO A TALKING LION. The Bible did not say that God made talking lions. Obviously, this is the work of evil magicks. Either that or God is speaking through a lion in a fairy-tale world with centaurs and witches and auto-healing trinkets. So do you condemn it or what?

For that matter, Harry is Jesus. And for what counts, he's a pretty swell guy with honest, down-to-earth values. If anyone wants to boycott the HP books, it's their prerogative to try, but it is awfully short-sighted and narrow-minded of them. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, if you will.

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Oct 18 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Lt. General

^They do act out against Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, I'm sure. You just don't hear about it as often because their books have been around longer, where as Potter is still relatively recent and a huge part of pop culture right now.

Preachers mostly preach about what's big in the media and most talked about right now, because it attracts more people to their sermons. Harry Potter, evolution, the Da Vinci Code, etc, etc.

--------------------
My icon comm

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
coyote_sprit
post Oct 18 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 52,041

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicle...arnia#Criticism

Narnia gets its fair share of criticism as well but as Fushigi Rockna said going after something controversial and more recent will get more people aware of you. A common example is Jack Thompson.

And LotR also gets some criticism but not much. I think that these pastures and priests need to learn what fiction is and stop trying to fuel their own agenda.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 20 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #12

Alchemists

Religious nuts don't freak out on C.S. Lewis because his story is a direct allegory of Christ's ressurection, and they don't freak out on Tolkien because his books, too, have Christian overtones. Though I'd have to agree that they only agree because these books have been around long enough.

But the real reason they're so fired up is while Tolkien's books are mostly adult, and Lewis's children's books have really, really strong Christian themes, Harry Potter was first a children's book. And as soon as those nuts saw that their kids were reading about sorcercy BAM!! They didn't even bother to find out anything else about the books.

I grew up on these books, and in my opinion these are about the best books any kid could grow up reading.

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Oct 21 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #13

Lt. General

LOL, expect to hear "Dumbledore is the gay, more proof that Harry Potter is the devil!" in your sermons for a while! XDDDD

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Colette
post Oct 21 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #14

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

Harry Potter is one of the most awful overrated piece of literature out there, but not the devil.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Oct 21 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #15

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

Harry Potter is okay, and I can see where they'd get the ideas of those from some of the commercials (i.e., the 3rd movies dementors) but in general, it's probably more for a middle school level. But that's still qualified as children's I think. My Nana(BIG Religious) says that Harry Potter and Anime are like that because they make people 'not believe in God'. Like, Naruto is 'bad' because most of the Japanese don't believe in God, therefore making the anime's goal into making other's feel that way. Well, that's what my Nana thinks.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css