Reply to this topicStart new topic
Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time
Plastic Yakuza
post Sep 21 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 423

Anyone get this game yet. I've been drooling over the commercials trying to decide what I can go without a bit to buy it. Its between food for a week or rent right now. Any way, anyone have any impressions of the game to share?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roy
post Sep 21 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 703

What the hell. Go without food for two weeks, three if that's what it takes, and buy it. It's sooooo worth it.

+Quote Post
AoiSora
post Sep 23 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 667

It is a really cool and complex game! I am really enjoying it. I have only played about 9 hours, and haven't gotten very far. I want to make sure I haven't missesd anything. The map completion can be a little tedious, but that add to the difficulty. Some reviews says it is to hard, especally the item creation. But I am looking forward to it. I have been waiting so long for the english version, I bet it will be so worth it! And I think some of those reviews are lazy! To hard! It was like this in Star Ocean 2, I guess they forgot! dry.gif stupid lazy people.....

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 24 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

i didn't finish Star Ocean 2... i got frustrated with the game. its seemed like no matter how high a level i get in a low level plane, random high level monsters will still get me.

ahehehe, i remember this one character in the game... the reporter girl... anyway, although she's a good character, i just couldn't stomache to use her. she has this one fighting line: "EEEEEEE-HOOOO!!!" and she sounds like a donkey. i didn't want to trun off voice over since it's so fun listening to their voices while they fight... this is the one part of the game that i couldn't forget.

oh, Star Ocean 2 was turned into an anime... Star Ocean Ex... i still didn't watch it though.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
AoiSora
post Sep 24 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Alchemists

Really? I really like Star Ocean 2. The anime is ok... but it has one of those.. "Yeah and we need to do this, this and this!" Endings... but sadly it ends. So they never really finish their quest. To know the end, you have to finish the game.

BTW Geneon is going to bring the anime to the US.. finally. But like I said, unless you like the game, it will probably be an ok series to get.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 25 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #6

Moderator Emeritus

so... does anybody know if this game is worth playing? i've read some reviews... they're good so far, but i need personal opinions about it...

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
AoiSora
post Sep 26 2004, 01:13 AM
Post #7

Alchemists

Yes it is a good game, so far (I haven't finished yet) But I like Star Ocean, and I like challenges. So As long as you do, you should like it too. Frustration is my Friend, is he yours?

Oh be prepared to spend a lot of time on it. To see every ending you have to at least play 3 times!

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 28 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Moderator Emeritus

multiple endings are a dedicated rpg fan's bestfriend. :,3

frustrations are okay as long as they're not too much that i'd throw the joystick at my tv for it.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Plastic Yakuza
post Sep 28 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 423

Star Ocean EX was rather disappointing. It followed the game fairly closely with a few filler episodes but got canceled before they reached the second disc. there is suppose to be a series based off of the gbc Blue Sphere but quite a bit of time has passed since I last heard any news on that so it looks liek it got dropped.

I look forward to the challenge. Love a hard game. Too many rpgs are just so easy. Hopefully there will bea lot in this one like the second game to keep my occupied for a long time. Also hoping for better endings. Not just the same few with a hundred minor alterations.

+Quote Post
AoiSora
post Sep 29 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #10

Alchemists

That is so true for the second game. I didn't bother with most of the endings. Just all the Claude and Rena ones. The one on SO3 I want is the Fate and Sophia one. So that is the one I am working for. But for once I am happy to see the English side get all the extras of a directors cut in Japan. I guess our paitence was quickly rewarded! laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Roy
post Sep 30 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #11

Citizen

The challenge gets less and less. I beat the last boss in 2 minutes/

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 30 2004, 07:02 AM
Post #12

Moderator Emeritus

so what are SO3's features compared to SO2?

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
AoiSora
post Sep 30 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #13

Alchemists

QUOTE(Roy @ Sep 30 2004, 07:59 AM)
The challenge gets less and less. I beat the last boss in 2 minutes/

Really? What about the item creation? I have been distracted with other games (FMA-Dream Carnival and replaying KH again) so I haven't gotten very far as I would like to have. Have you fought the Bonus bosses? I was happy to see the the Valkyrie Profile characters are getting a second chance!

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Roy
post Sep 30 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Citizen

QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 30 2004, 02:02 PM)
so what are SO3's features compared to SO2?

Very similar to SO2. Private Actions are handled differently and less efficiently; there's no world map, so you can't say, split up in Peterny or whatever. Instead, your party automatically splits and you have to talk to people at just the right time to get the PAs. It made me miss a good chunk of the PAs in the game. I'm gonna play through a second time to see all of them.

Also, item creation is a complete drag. You'll have NO idea what you're doing unless you have a strategy guide, and even when you do know what you're doing, making the correct item is a hit-or-miss at best. Kind of unfortunate since without Item Creation, you'll wind up getting totally screwed. I had to have a weapon with eight attack + 500 attributes before I was able to beat a certain boss, and the items that created that weapon I only created out of sheer luck. After wasting my time with the item creation, I gave up and bought the strategy guide and just aimed for the items I needed/wanted. Also, some of the requirements to get the better item creators are absurdly difficult to fulfill. I spent literally five hours plugging away at ~2,000,000 Fol and ended up with 32 Fol, and no item for the item creator I wanted to recruit. Of course, I reset after that but that item creator was essential in increasing Sophia's effectiveness in battle. I'm gonna try getting the ATK + 1000 scroll and synthing it with a Veinslay first before I do anything esle with this game.

As for bonus bosses, I beat Gabriel Celesta, but Lenneth is being a bitch and keeps using Nibelung Valesti on me (*@&^#*ing cheap ass attack). I'm gonna go power level some more (At level 206 right now) and get back to fighting her again.

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Sep 30 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #15

Moderator Emeritus

I was happy to see the the Valkyrie Profile characters are getting a second chance!

EH?! who made a comeback? valkyrie? lezard? odin? freya? i wish it was valkyrie though... she kicked major ass! the goddess version of GS3's Chris Lightfellow.

Also, item creation is a complete drag. You'll have NO idea what you're doing unless you have a strategy guide, and even when you do know what you're doing, making the correct item is a hit-or-miss at best.

sounds like the item alchemy part of FMA:Dream Carnival, only more frustrating. just how many characters are there in SO3?

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 04:35 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css