HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread, Universal conversation regarding the second installment of FMA: B
Rating 5 V
temmy
post Apr 12 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,699

Okay, let's see here . . . Now, keep in mind this is after one viewing; I'll be waiting for the HQ subs.

I . . . didn't like it. I'm a sappy, sentimental person, and none of the feeling was there. Yeah, the animation was nice (it was amazing, though sometimes the faces looked a bit weird, especially Roy's), but it seemed like this episode was just "something-we-have-to-do" (which it was) and the quality of the storytelling itself was rather horrible because it showed. The grave scene? I stared and waited for some emotional impact to hit me: Nope, none, nada (though now it occurs to me that that was probably the umpteenth time they visited the grave; was initially thrown off by the similarity in dialogue from the first series with Al saying, "I'm hungry," the day of the funeral). The scene changes were jumpy and erratic, Trisha had a whopping half a minute devoted to her, and character-wise, she sounded a bit shallow (I dunno why; it's probably because I have a knee-jerk reaction to parents boasting about their kids - ugh). The transmutation scene itself felt rushed, and the result of the transmutation was definitely not as scary as the one from the first series. And they didn't show Ed screaming in pain at the automail surgery. sad.gif

I think the humor in this episode was badly juxtaposed with all the tragedy. It didn't work for me. (Ed's insult-competition with what's-her-name was nice, though).

Now, what did I like:

The opening (before the OP song) was cool, if a little artificial; lazy storytelling, because they could've easily inserted that into the episode itself, but nice showing all the souls trapped in the Philosopher's Stone. Pretty good foreshadowing.

I like how they threw the flashback on top of Ed's train ride to Lior. That was one of the things in the episode that felt natural. (Btw, anyone else bothered by the fact Al was sitting next to Ed on the train and not across from him? Haha, I'm so bothered by this it's not even funny, but it's just me being neurotically anal.)

The backgrounds were beautiful. Pastel, anyone? And the BG music improved markedly. The night they performed the transmutation? That red filter and crow were neeaattttt.

Winry. Winry, Winry, Winry; great characterization here. The Gate and the Truth were plain awesome. And Hughes's office was amazing (I know, I'm weird).

I loved, loved, loved Roy's confrontation with Ed and Ed's exam scene, though I wish the latter were extended. (Heck, I wish the entire episode were extended, but . . . ) They showed the floor caving in a little! smile.gif

I'm hovering on the brink of liking the design of this Ed over the design of the first Ed. Same with Roy's design (like his VA better though). But then they make this weird face just when I'm deciding I like them, and - argh.

Riza's VA: Whoa, I dunno if it's because she looks younger in this episode, but I wasn't bothered by it . . . Hm.

So far, I'd have to say I much prefer the old series to the new one.

ETA: Second viewing, and I have to say I like it much, much better (probably because I was pausing every which way in order to get down all my points for this post. Ha). Also, I think the next episode will be awesome; the fast pacing will be great for the action, 'nuff said. Though . . . I thought Lior was in the middle of a desert?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 12 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #47

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I barely managed to view the episode once and I need to view it again to catch more details. Right now, I'm happy to find out that they did not leave out Riza meets Winry part. ^^

-----------------------

QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Apr 12 2009, 12:26 PM) *
actually tombow...i didnt attack him at all....

@fma_milan_freak - Oh all right, maybe I misunderstood, and if so I apologize. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Apr 12 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

new lior looks brilliant...magnificent ...beautiful..and wat else....lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Apr 12 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #49

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

This was a great episode happy.gif of course there were a lot of similar things that happened in this episode that happened in the 3rd episode (Mother) of the original anime. Also there was scenes that happened only in the manga (such as Winry meeting Riza for the first time). Overall this was a awesome episode,my favourite part was when Winry was yelling at Ed for changing "her" automail and then he said something like " That means that you can change the shape of my head then" tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 12 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 12 2009, 06:22 PM) *
They are most likely rushing these scenes because they've BEEN seen BEFORE in the FIRST anime. Geddit?

Wait, were there in previous anime:
1) The apperance of Truth?
2) Riza Hawkeye being with Roy when he meets the Elrics?
3) The State Alchemist test where Ed used Alchemy to summon a spear to attack King Bradley?

No, no and no. In all these cases they've skipped many dialogues and it was rushed even though in previous version there was nothing of the sort.

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Apr 12 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #51

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

Well, I liked it. It wasn't too fast and I could follow it perfectly.

What I really HATED was the fact that that episode is TOO SHORT xD. Now I have to wait another week *sigh*

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Apr 12 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

Meh, I didn't like it. And I'm not telling it after watching episode once, but twice. It was very anti-climatic, rushed and too silly. I don't know the point of adding new material and then rushing with manga content, just to fit in one, 24-minute episode. They omitted some, not as important, but fun, or sad scenes, for example Ed vomiting when seeing their "mother" transmuted, Ed barking to Mustang and teasing him about his secret... Content lose its depth from manga. The dialogs were cheesy and VA haven't put any emotions to their roles (Mustang was yelling more energically and loudly in first episode, Trisha's happyness after calm disscussion with sons was also out of place, not mentioning Ed barely not screaming at the Doors.) Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY positively waiting for this episode and I was totally mixed with mud.

but sleeping Ed at the end of episode was very cute

ETA1: And the background with Elrics' house WAS HORRIBLE

ETA2: Maybe I will write down things I did like:

-well, a bit the beginning, but it also was very fast
-the mentioning of Xerxes
-Ed on a wheelchair at the beginning somehow
-kinda taking the Al's and Ed's bodies, a little bit scary
-Mr. Truth voice *shivering*
-Ed crawling to the suit of armor *shivering once again*
-Roy reading the raport was looking nice xd
-"Gomenasais" by Al
-the writings on the sheet of paper that Ed got at the end were legible and sensible
-sleeping Ed~
-

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post Apr 12 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #53

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

I feel... dissatisfied.

I expected more from the second episode... everything felt too rushed, too unnatural. It's like they jumped from one scene into another without making a good transition... and the "Doors of Truth" part didn't feel creepy at all (I blame the background music for that one... it didn't seem to fit that scene for some reason). I had a hard time feeling the same sympathy and emotions I felt while watching the first anime/reading the manga.

I know they had a good reason for rushing the scenes like that, but couldn't BONES at least portray it in a way that it feels more natural? For example, the scene with Trisha's grave. They could have shown some shots with Trisha, Ed and Al, together, then a short five-second flash of Trisha's death, then a few flashes of her burial. At least something to smooth the transition between one scene and another...

And anyway, I wouldn't mind them doing the episodes the same way as the manga. They could have done some parts a bit differently, so it wouldn't be a bore to watch... but the essence would still be there. ^.^

I'm not making any sense, am I? -.-' Ah, it's 1 AM here... g'night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 12 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Apr 12 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Meh, I didn't like it. And I'm not telling it after watching episode once, but twice. It was very anti-climatic, rushed and too silly. I don't know the point of adding new material and then rushing with manga content, just to fit in one, 24-minute episode. They omitted some, not as important, but fun, or sad scenes, for example Ed vomiting when seeing their "mother" transmuted, Ed barking to Mustang and teasing him about his secret... Content lose its depth from manga. The dialogs were cheesy and VA haven't put any emotions to their roles (Mustang was yelling more energically and loudly in first episode, Trisha's happyness after calm disscussion with sons was also out of place, not mentioning Ed barely not screaming at the Doors.) Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY positively waiting for this episode and I was totally mixed with mud.

Truth be told...I'm glad they didn't add Ed vomiting. I really don't particularly like watching anything (cartoons, real, whatever) throw up. I just can't get over how much you guys all complain about this, I think you're expecting too much too soon...=/ I liked it. I followed it just fine having read the manga previously. I didn't see anything wrong with it. Sure it was a little rushed. I thought the human transmutation scene was well done, and I thought it was rather emotional. I almost cried. I think people are forgetting that this is a whole new anime now loosely based off the manga, so it seems so far. This is only the 2nd episode. I'm sure we're going to see the whole thing more in depth later on in the series, like when the brothers go visit Izumi and tell her everything. This is only to just get the anime started so people understand the story.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Apr 12 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #55

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (Sal_san @ Apr 12 2009, 11:41 AM) *
I feel... dissatisfied.

I expected more from the second episode... everything felt too rushed, too unnatural. It's like they jumped from one scene into another without making a good transition... and the "Doors of Truth" part didn't feel creepy at all (I blame the background music for that one... it didn't seem to fit that scene for some reason). I had a hard time feeling the same sympathy and emotions I felt while watching the first anime/reading the manga.

I know they had a good reason for rushing the scenes like that, but couldn't BONES at least portray it in a way that it feels more natural? For example, the scene with Trisha's grave. They could have shown some shots with Trisha, Ed and Al, together, then a short five-second flash of Trisha's death, then a few flashes of her burial. At least something to smooth the transition between one scene and another...

And anyway, I wouldn't mind them doing the episodes the same way as the manga. They could have done some parts a bit differently, so it wouldn't be a bore to watch... but the essence would still be there. ^.^

I'm not making any sense, am I? -.-' Ah, it's 1 AM here... g'night.

Ah I know what you mean.
The scene with Trishas grave and the "should be" flashbacks of her burial and so on.
It wasn't at the beginning of the manga, so it wasn't in this episode. It will come later in another flashback

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
Goral
post Apr 12 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 59,458

@Kyelinn
I'm watching this show because I still have a hope that this anime will be better. I'm sure that when it reaches the point where first series deviated from the manga I would like to see that. For now I'm not dropping it so that I could talk about it and not be ridiculed in a way: "you haven't watched it so how can you be sure it sucks.". As you can see I'm arguing quite well since you haven't replied to my previous post :].

Edit:
Oh, and Alzea, I've replied to your post here.

--------------------
9 out of 10 connoisseurs recommend watching Kemono no Souja Erin.

+Quote Post
Sal_san
post Apr 12 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 62,930

QUOTE (black~hayate @ Apr 12 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Ah I know what you mean.
The scene with Trishas grave and the "should be" flashbacks of her burial and so on.
It wasn't at the beginning of the manga, so it wasn't in this episode. It will come later in another flashback

But if they're comfortable with making a completely new first episode, why not add a bit? I'm sure adding a few small details won't change to plot entirely... after all, it's a LOOSE adaptation, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Apr 12 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #58

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 12 2009, 12:58 PM) *
@Kyelinn
I'm watching this show because I still have a hope that this anime will be better. I'm sure that when it reaches the point where first series deviated from the manga I would like to see that. For now I'm not dropping it so that I could talk about it and not be ridiculed in a way: "you haven't watched it so how can you be sure it sucks.". As you can see I'm arguing quite well since you haven't replied to my previous post :].

*scratches head* I'm not aware I ever ridiculed you, nor am I even trying to argue with you, because I choose not to. I never even recall asking you WHY you watched the show...o_o Also, I didn't reply to your post because it would've led into a "1st Anime vs 2nd Anime" discussion and Tombow asked for it to be stopped. So, I'm respecting those wishes and I'm stopping.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Apr 12 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #59

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

I guess this bashin is not hurtin anyone here goral . So you better stop . . Cause i think that all you are tryin to do is get some attention . . I might be wrong here , but it surely looks like it . . I've seen people tryin to compromise with you and stuff , but all you do is bash , bash and bash . . . If you hate the new anime . . Why do you even watch it . . Ha ha . . Seriously with this kind of attitude , you'll make more enemies than friends anywhere you go . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Apr 12 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #60

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

The only thing that's chiefly wrong with the episodes right now is the incredibly fast pacing, and that will probably slow down as the series goes on. Sure, they could've fixed up this episode, but I'm fairly positive that they'll go more in depth with Ed and Al's bond with Trisha, the house burning, etc. once they meet Izumi. This is just an introductory episode to the transmutation, so they probably tried to keep it brief.

Maybe it would have been better if Ed and Al's visit at Pinako's place was used for more Trisha screentime, but overall, the episode really wasn't that bad.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 07:56 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css