HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Manga Roy, Anime Roy: FMA-1, Cos Movie, FMA: B, Which Ones Do You Like? (spoiler Alert!), Feel free to post & tell us your analysis/opinion of each Roy!
Manga Roy, Anime Roy: FMA-1, COS movie, FMA:B, Which ones do you like?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 80
Guests cannot vote 
fmadiva
post Nov 16 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,009

Just wanted to see everyone's opinion because I feel like Manga Roy and various Anime Roy could be different people. I personally sort of like all (anime-1 Roy a little more....Maybe cause I'm used to him..)I can hardly choose. IMO, all of them have lovable characteristics<3

Also, if you'd like, tell us which one you think looks best. wink.gif *cough*anime-1roy*cough*

--------------------
RoyxEd<3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alchemistpower
post Nov 16 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 47,494

ALL! biggrin.gif >.<

--------------------
"Just because i want to be loved doesn't mean i want to love"

+Quote Post
KwiatekAlchemist
post Nov 16 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 70,538

I love all happy.gif

+Quote Post
Irena
post Nov 16 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

I think I prefer manga Roy, because he seems more relaxed and not all *emoangst* like anime-1 Roy (especially in CoS sleep.gif).

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 17 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

manga/brotherhood Roy, anime1 actually made me hate Roy, and it took ages for me to like him again in the manga

He murdered Winry's parents (not that anyone really cared) and I remember a scene where he was making fun of Ed for crying when he lost him limbs, I was like wtf!? you b****** make a habit of bulling traumitized mutilated children do we?

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 17 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

Manga Roy and Brotherhood Roy own Anime1 Roy and COS Roy. Just look at the lust fight in episode 19/ manga vol. 10. That's all you really need.

+Quote Post
Thalogens
post Nov 17 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Alchemists

Member No.: 70,644

I love all forms of Roy. Yep. But it was anime1 Roy that I loved first -COS-Roy annoyed me. Manga-Roy beat them all, though, he's too awesome. Brotherhood-Roy is sort of manga-Roy, but with slightly strange animation and NOT ENOUGH DETAIL! Except the last two episodes of him in civilian clothes was brilliant-Roy -almost worthy of manga-Roy...

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Nov 17 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

Everyone's giving short responses, but I'm going to be that obnoxious person with a strong opinion that is going to get all the lurking flamers to attack tongue.gif

I read the manga first, which factors into it a lot, but I know for sure I wouldn't have cared for anime!Roy's character either way. While I was watching the anime, I was waiting for the Roy I knew and love to start being the loveable dofus he is, but...it never came. I feel like anime1 took the Roy from the first volumes of the manga, where we didn't know anymore about him other than that he wanted to be Fuhrer, and ran with it. He became self-centered, kind of conceited, egotistical, rude, and insensitive. Not that all characters can be nice and righteous. But I felt like he had no feeling whatsoever for the Elric brothers or his subordinates. And NO, I am not referring to RoyAi here, just to let everyone know.

Manga Roy is not the complete opposite of animeRoy, I know - he can still be self-centered and diabolical, but you know that he isn't out only for himself, and that he genuinley cares for everyone around him. There are times when we think he's being an @$$ (like with the Ross thing) but it usually turns out that he's out for the better for everyone. He WANTS to protect everyone - that his goal in life. AnimeRoy was out for revenge and power, and 'repented' for that in a really annoying, obnoxious way in CoS, which I'm not even going to touch upon.

Place animeRoy into a few manga situations. How would he have reacted about the Ross incident? Would he have stuck out her neck for her? Would he have stopped killing Envy if someone told him to? Would Goldtooth have used Riza as his weakness??? (I'm not talking about romance)

Not to mention how funny mangaRoy can be when he's useless, or just being a moron in general. All those goofy moments like when he was doing the different voices sending false reports about Scar, growing mushrooms when he was called 'useless', or any of the silly banter he has with characters like Riza or Olivia have happened if it had been anime1Roy? AnimeRoy was even serious during the humor episode, when they were looking for the haunted room and burying bones and all that nonsense!

AnimeRoy is a different character than mangaRoy. I think we can all agree on that. I prefer mangaRoy, but I doubt I'd have as much of a problem with animeRoy if it weren't for fans who ONLY know him as being like that.

OH YEAH AND SHIRTLESS ROY IN VOLUME 10. Just throwing that out there biggrin.gif

(don't throw any tomatoes or torches, plz xP I mean well)

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Nov 17 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 17 2009, 12:15 AM) *
He murdered Winry's parents (not that anyone really cared) and I remember a scene where he was making fun of Ed for crying when he lost him limbs, I was like wtf!? you b****** make a habit of bulling traumitized mutilated children do we?
And yet you think what MangaIshvalRoy did in the war was so much better? If Kimbley wasn't around, guess who would have done the job? And Roy would have definitely done such a thing (Only this time, I think he would have roasted the Rockbells instead of shooting them).
As for Roy's joke, that was harmless better, and let us not forget Edward was now a State Alchemist, therefore an adult to be treated as such.

Once again I in the minority choose Anime1Roy. He is simply Roy without the 'Get Out of Jail Free' cards his manga counterpart has. He has the common sense NOT to disclose the 'Bradley is a Homunculus' knowledge to some stranger (Then again, MangaRoy had the advantage of being a pawn so he got off easy. If Anime1Roy tried the blackmail scheme, Bradley-Pride would have his head flying). He does deserve some sympathy, considering the bind he was in. True, he threw away his ideals for revenge for his best friend (as if MangaRoy treated the revelation of Envy's actions in a calmer manner...), but he was in a no-win situation: Another massacre was coming up, and he was the only one capable of stopping it by stopping the one responsible (Anime1Riza probably knew this, which is why she didn't stop him). In the end, he got out of the situation maimed emotionally and physically, with the loss of an eye (whereas MangaRoy got a couple of stab wounds. Big deal...). The CoSRoy, IMO, was the logical conclusion. And for those who weren't happy about EmoRoy, isn't MangaRoy's planned ending for himself (trial & execution) just as bad?

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Nov 17 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

@RoyxRizafan: I started to read the manga first before I watched the first anime too. So I agree with all your points. They were well said. If I wasn't so tired, I would think and write down some of my own opinions.

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Nov 17 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

@royxrizafan you've made some good points but I disagree with one. Anime1Roy cares deeply for Ed and Al,he would always freak out when he found out that they went somewhere without his permission, he even hunt down Ed hiself in one of the later episodes.(He can be insensitive at times though dry.gif ...) Anime1Roy might not be a dofus or a total spaz but he was mysterious cool.gif which made him an interesting character and sexy too wink.gif plus him being cool-headed all the time made Ed's outbursts more hilarious XD and as for the movie..idk I though it was sweet how depressed Roy was over Ed's disappearence,he knew Ed wasn't dead and he waited for him all that long time. It really shows how strong their relationship is.

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Nov 17 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

Manga Roy fo sho. The eye-patch was a deal breaker.

Seriously though, anime Roy was too angsty and guilt-ridden. And I mean I guess he had reason to be, but...meh.

His character in the manga is also a lot deeper and more interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 18 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (hawkflame @ Nov 17 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Manga Roy and Brotherhood Roy own Anime1 Roy and COS Roy. Just look at the lust fight in episode 19/ manga vol. 10. That's all you really need.

Haha, I agree.

I still liked Anime1!Roy though, I dunno why, I just did. The people involved in the first series obviously had to make choices about his personality based on the first chapters of the manga... To be honest I'm not surprised they extrapolated his character out to be what it is in the first series. It was never going to be perfect. You might argue that all, or at least most, of the other characters in the first series were portrayed somewhat closely to the manga, but remember that Roy is a kind of mysterious and hard to figure out character.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 18 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

QUOTE (Claudius @ Nov 17 2009, 09:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 17 2009, 12:15 AM) *
And yet you think what MangaIshvalRoy did in the war was so much better? If Kimbley wasn't around, guess who would have done the job? And Roy would have definitely done such a thing (Only this time, I think he would have roasted the Rockbells instead of shooting them).
As for Roy's joke, that was harmless better, and let us not forget Edward was now a State Alchemist, therefore an adult to be treated as such.

Edward may be a state alchemist, he is not an adult, as is refferred to at many points in the manga, and am i seriously wrong in thinking making fun of a kid who lost their limbs, their brother, and musta been in a hell of a lot of physical and mental pain at the time, is inappropiet XD What kind of adult wouldnt cry in that situation and even if Ed was an adult thats just horrible, That 'joke' made Roy out to be a crule and heartless b@stard to me, and even though it was a small scene really made me hate him

The Rockbells were killed by Scar not Kimbley O_o And let us not forget, yeh Roy sinned a lot during that war but Kimbley is kinda a bad guy and Roy is not, I can't hate a guy like Kimbley, been bad is his charm xD for Roy on the other hand its not

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Nov 18 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 18 2009, 08:26 AM) *
Edward may be a state alchemist, he is not an adult, as is refferred to at many points in the manga, and am i seriously wrong in thinking making fun of a kid who lost their limbs, their brother, and musta been in a hell of a lot of physical and mental pain at the time, is inappropiet XD What kind of adult wouldnt cry in that situation and even if Ed was an adult thats just horrible, That 'joke' made Roy out to be a crule and heartless b@stard to me, and even though it was a small scene really made me hate him

The Rockbells were killed by Scar not Kimbley O_o And let us not forget, yeh Roy sinned a lot during that war but Kimbley is kinda a bad guy and Roy is not, I can't hate a guy like Kimbley, been bad is his charm xD for Roy on the other hand its not

But your example comes from Anime1, where several times Edward was reminded (by the Homonculus during the Lab 5 incident, by Granny Rockbell after Ed learned about Hughes death, etc.) that taking the State Alchemist job meant he is treated as an adult.
And Roy's joke was directed to no traumatized handicapped kid but Edward. He would never do it to anyone else (you don't see him ridiculing Al).
And in the manga, Kimbley was ordered to kill the Rockbells before Scar did that job. Without Scar, Kimbley would have done it. Without Kimbley, Roy would have done it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 10:45 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css