HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Japanese Version Vs English Version, Changes in dialogue ?? Omitted/Edited scenes??
Amethyst Sunset
post Sep 14 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,435

QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 14 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]446153[/snapback]

QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 13 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]445949[/snapback]

QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 12 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]445884[/snapback]

QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Sep 11 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]445518[/snapback]

Both are fine with me. I used to be really against the dub, but that changed.

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is when they change the message the creaters were trying to give. For example, when Alphonse was doubting his excistance, he sounded sad, and scared. Unsure.

In the dub, he's childish and angry. "Drink the dumb milk.", "Shut up." That sort of thing.

Ooh totally. When I heard Al in that episode, I literally went scrambling for my brother's CDs to check if that's what Al really said. dry.gif Seriously, Al seems more... harsh (harsher?) in the dubbed version.

If I had just found out that everyone was lying to me and that my whole idea of self was artificial, I'd be a bit pissed off myself.

Yeah, and he was, but harsh words are really not Al's style, if you know what I mean.

I think they (the people behind the dub) meant Al to be harsher, probably because...well, it would really become a serious and dramatic episode if Al suddenly became angsty, and it adds a new dimension to his character.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
air_alchemist_of...
post Sep 29 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 41,516

i would have to say the english sounds better for most voices, the homoculi voice are horrible in english. the rest is better in english.

e.g. Ed voice is by far better in english ( except that his voice is a tad to deep when he's 11 lolz). reason: mainly he sounds alot calmer in the english.

--------------------
best way to tell if some one is high, if u ask them where the live they answer "the dark side of the moon"

+Quote Post
TheSnig
post Sep 29 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #48

Apprentice

Member No.: 41,484

yeah, i think that the japanese voices are better... i know the english ones have to match the mouth movement and stuff, but the english dont sound like theyre actually talking (although some of them are better than others; Al's english voice is pretty decent)

QUOTE(air_alchemist_of_doom @ Sep 29 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]452970[/snapback]

i would have to say the english sounds better for most voices, the homoculi voice are horrible in english. the rest is better in english.

e.g. Ed voice is by far better in english ( except that his voice is a tad to deep when he's 11 lolz). reason: mainly he sounds alot calmer in the english.

Ed's voice isnt supposed be calm though

+Quote Post
air_alchemist_of...
post Sep 29 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 41,516

QUOTE(TheSnig @ Sep 29 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]452977[/snapback]

Ed's voice isnt supposed be calm though

true but i myself like it a little more than the japanise version for that very reason and i'm sure there are others that think the same

--------------------
best way to tell if some one is high, if u ask them where the live they answer "the dark side of the moon"

+Quote Post
Nicoli Flamel
post Sep 29 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 41,353

Japnese:I hear she's a real Beaut.
English:I hear she's a real ten.

The reason for this is the slang. American slang is very different then japanese slag. I also think they(the Japanese VA director) wanted to give a feel of the 1900s. A beaut was slang in America and other countries for beauty. How many people seriously now would know what a beaut really is. Saying she's a ten is a way of convaying this.

As for me I watch English with Subs on to see what was really said. The thing that gets to me is all the dub bashing. It's a lot of work to get the series translanted, and while I think Romi Paku (sp?) who provides Ed, is an excellent actress. She sounds to High to be a 15 year old guy. I actually like Envy's voice in the dub, becuase it sounds a bit more masculine.

Also I must ask this. Has anyone ever listened to a show from america dubed in Japanese?

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Sep 30 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #51

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(Nicoli Flamel @ Sep 29 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]452984[/snapback]
Also I must ask this. Has anyone ever listened to a show from america dubed in Japanese?
Yap, I have. XDD Those are kinda fun!! tongue.gif
Often the dubbed voices are completely different from the original voices. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
000_neji
post Oct 1 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #52

Alchemists

Member No.: 40,666

Japanese are better,if dubbed...or has a subtitle...

--------------------
"I'm Hyuuga Neji and you know It...."
"I refuse to a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person..."

Our own site...Check it out...

+Quote Post
Untitled
post Oct 1 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 38,823

Both are fine for me.. Just as long as the dubber's voice isn't annoying that is! laugh.gif

--------------------
Back from the <insert place>. Reconstructing <:

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Oct 7 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #54

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 34,479

QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 11 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]445286[/snapback]

Anime Otaku sleep.gif

I much prefer the Dub version over the japanese version because all the voices, to me, seem to mix and mingle, so if you aren't paying close attention it would get confusing as to who is saying what.

In the dub version I think the dialogue is better and the emotions felt by the characters is more pronounced than in the japanese version. All the voices in the english dub are great, and fit the characters very well.

Yup. Enough said.
I like the dub better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VincentProxy
post Oct 7 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 41,751

I prefer the dubbed, dunno why just do. Some of the explanations are a bit wierd, but thats only because they have to fit the words to the timing of the mouth, so they have to use wierd words at times lol.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Oct 7 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

I prefer the dubbed version - all the main characters have very distinct and interesting voices, and aside from a few sub-par deliveries the acting is excellent.

One thing that does bother me about the dub however is some of the dialogue changes that affect meaning or understanding of the plot. For example:

[spoiler] When Scar confronts Kimbley in Lior, the mad bomber reveals his philosophy that all human beings are worthless/empty on the inside. He then transmutes Scar's arm into a time-bomb, but Scar destroys his own arm to stop the alchemic reaction. In the Japanese subs, he has an awesome speech telling Kimbley to look at his bleeding arm to see what a real human is made of. In the english, he has a cringe-worthy one-liner "See what kind of an impact I have on you!" Ugh. Totally alters the depth and meaning of what Scar is saying.

The other, more egregious alteration comes at the end of the series, after Dante has removed Gluttony's emotions for Lust to turn him into an eating machine. In the Japanese, Dante explains that Gluttony was created by her as a way to refine red water. This sentence is the only reference to Gluttony's origin and purpose and also helps to explain what happens to him in the movie. The english dub has none of this information! [/spoiler]

+Quote Post
Ting
post Oct 8 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #57

Apprentice

Member No.: 39,859

I liked the Jap version the most, because u can really feel the emotion of the voice actor in the series, I have also watched the Cantonese version of FMA, and I think it is better than the English one (the dialogues are more appropriate). But the english dubb is one of the best of English dubbed version of anime.

I don't know if it was only me, but I think some parts of the English dubb are wonky laugh.gif (maybe of lip sync)

--------------------
hito wa nanika no gisei nashi ni, nani mo eru koto wa dekinai.
nanika wo eru tame ni wa, doutou no daika ga hitsuyou ni naru.
sore ga, renkinjutsu ni okeru "toukakoukan" no gensoku da.
sono koro, bokura wa sore ga sekai no shinjitsu da to shinjiteita.

Humankind can not get anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of equlivant exchange.
In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one and only truth.

Please check out my fandubbing project: script writing, OST and SFX needed!
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/pm/?id=199

+Quote Post
Hugh the Hit Man
post Oct 11 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #58

Citizen

Member No.: 40,660

I think that it really does depend on the anime. Also, if I see it with subs first I'm more apt to only like it with subs. Dunno, guess it just depends

--------------------
Are YOU a member of the belly button club?
"There is such a thing as good grief... just ask Charlie Brown"

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Oct 14 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #59

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

QUOTE(His Name is Unknown @ Oct 7 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]456344[/snapback]

I prefer the dubbed version - all the main characters have very distinct and interesting voices, and aside from a few sub-par deliveries the acting is excellent.

One thing that does bother me about the dub however is some of the dialogue changes that affect meaning or understanding of the plot. For example:

[spoiler] When Scar confronts Kimbley in Lior, the mad bomber reveals his philosophy that all human beings are worthless/empty on the inside. He then transmutes Scar's arm into a time-bomb, but Scar destroys his own arm to stop the alchemic reaction. In the Japanese subs, he has an awesome speech telling Kimbley to look at his bleeding arm to see what a real human is made of. In the english, he has a cringe-worthy one-liner "See what kind of an impact I have on you!" Ugh. Totally alters the depth and meaning of what Scar is saying.

The other, more egregious alteration comes at the end of the series, after Dante has removed Gluttony's emotions for Lust to turn him into an eating machine. In the Japanese, Dante explains that Gluttony was created by her as a way to refine red water. This sentence is the only reference to Gluttony's origin and purpose and also helps to explain what happens to him in the movie. The english dub has none of this information! [/spoiler]

That is exactly the reason I prefer the Sub over the Dub.
And the fact I really dont like Edo or Aru's voices *Hides from now enraged fangirls*

QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Oct 11 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]458358[/snapback]

I think that it really does depend on the anime. Also, if I see it with subs first I'm more apt to only like it with subs. Dunno, guess it just depends

I think this thread being in the FMA section, its ment About fma, Although I could be under the mis-interperation that a section header tells you what the section is about. Where-as it is just a random set of words then eh?
My My, I do get bitchy some times, tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Oct 16 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #60

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

I like the English voices better because with the Japanese subtitles, I'm confused a bit.... I can read and listen and watch at the same time, but for some reason, when I listen to the Japanese voices, I can't really absorb what's going on in the show because I'm reading what they're saying while they're saying it, and it leaves me a bit confused and I just can't understand the point of the episode for some weird reason.... if I'm confusing you, I apologize biggrin.gif

I like Ed's voice equally in both the English and Japanese, though smile.gif

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 02:13 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css