HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 9: Created Feelings - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Spoilers for th efirst 9 episodes!!
Vagrant
post May 31 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #61

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,830

Ed's face at the beginning was straight from the manga. Hah.

Unsubtitled intro and Ed being called a steel alchemist? I definitely watched a dodgy translation. Someone else in the thread mentioned Eclipse subtitles...I think they're what I usually see.
Manga seems much better written, but it could be due to this translation, so yeah.

Hah at the hand bit, but what the hell was with Ed's weird moment afterwards? I'd like to think that was bad translation rather than what it actually seemed. O_o

Angry Winry sounds like Ed. She also gets to be freakin' evil.

Blood spurt = hilarious. Shame they missed the extra bit from the manga with him almost passing out and thinking he can see his mother on the other side.

First sign of Ed's love of milk in Brotherhood. Hah at Ed versus the milk later.
(Also Armstrong is a psychopath)

I've just noticed that some of the main art seems to look better. (might be the slightly different video type) But the backgrounds do not.

As Kiara pointed out, I liked the touch with Sig and Izumi in the background. I missed them in the anime, and didn't check until I spotted them in the manga.

Shame they missed the joke with Winry presuming Ed had been convicted. And the part with Ed having been crushed by Armstrong.

Hah. Hughes is an awesome psychopath. (kidnapping Winry ftw)

Aww at the Maes family.

Fullmetal Alchemist guy sounded apologetic again at first. I presumed the giggling was carried on from the scene or something. Was it him? What the hell?

Once again, Hughes is an awesome psychopath. (shooting children also for the win?)

I feel like they missed a bit of characterisation for Hughes' family and Winry, but it's not too bad. We got the gist.

Good for Winry beating Al and telling him off.

I enjoyed the scene with Ed and Al towards the end. It's easy to forget just how well written, touching and clever the bond and the characters are there.

I'm guessing the bit with Scar doesn't come up for a while longer in the manga.

Excited by the promise of Ishbal flashbacks next week. But people seem to be saying that the big bad is coming next week. D:

Anyway, enjoyed the episode. Largely plot though. Ed and Al bit was touching. Manga still seemed to do it better.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 1 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #62

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Now, I'm a huge fan of the first anime series, but while I would argue that a lot of the material from the manga was utilized better in that show, I must admit that this episode, and of course, the manga material it's adapting, handled the Alphonse memory situation better, more naturally, and with subtlety. The first series sort of dragged it out needlessly into a largely filler episode involving Scar, two Ishbalan kids, and the reveal of the Fuhrer's secretary being something other than human. While that wasn't a bad episode, this was a better fit for the story.

Romi Paku and Rie Kugumiya really acted their hearts out in this episode. It's possible that they've improved considerably from the first series, and I thought they were perfect in the roles then. I'm still adusting to Maria Ross' voice, which seems too soft and submissive. Winry's new VA is improving. The new Scar is putting my fears to rest so far.

I love that little bit with the child playing with a robot toy and what it represented. A great add-in. If only they hadn't used that awful Italian restaurant music in the rooftop scene. At least use the vocal version of that piece! Overall, a good episode, though.

Next week is that event. I doubt it'll be nearly as rough, but it'll still be sad.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Elemental/Alchem...
post Jun 1 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #63

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,136

now i haven't seen this yet - but i can guess what's coming here or in the next episode... oh Hughes....

as with the noted picture of izumi's appearance being kept as cameo, and as all who read the manga can open the books and read side by side with the show know - they've been doing a really excellent job keeping in line with the story, and even adding a few lines here and there to cement feelings and expressions meant to be conveyed by shading or otherwise smaller or larger text etc...

What really matters to me now is how they direct it, how they design it, how they show Hughes and Roy in these next 2 -- b/c (and not to spoil any plot points for later manga chapters) this really is a key aspect and influence on Roy's actions in the future and throughout the series - brotherhood was a great title for this proper second adaptation of the show, not only for Ed and Al but for Roy and Hughes and the military team behind them

I hope they do them and Ms. Arakawa's work justice

edit: (and I hope to g-d i can see the damn show - funimation still hasn't posted any notices on their streaming website....)

--------------------
Roy's partner in arms - Maes Hughes:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 1 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #64

Apprentice

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 1 2009, 08:04 AM) *
Romi Paku and Rie Kugumiya really acted their hearts out in this episode. It's possible that they've improved considerably from the first series, and I thought they were perfect in the roles then. I'm still adusting to Maria Ross' voice, which seems too soft and submissive. Winry's new VA is improving. The new Scar is putting my fears to rest so far.

I love that little bit with the child playing with a robot toy and what it represented. A great add-in. If only they hadn't used that awful Italian restaurant music in the rooftop scene. At least use the vocal version of that piece! Overall, a good episode, though.
Oh, I was meaning to mention how good Al's voice actor was in this ep.

Though I like that music.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Haineko
post Jun 1 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #65

Citizen

Member No.: 68,002

Hurray, another great episode! Two in a row now, and likely to be three ^^

- Pacing was again perfect. If they keep this up, I'll completely drop any mention of it and be completely satisfied. I'm very glad, like someone said, that they showed that they can do a slower and reflective episode well. Some manga jokes and little scenes were cut out, but the right ones were cut out to improve the overall flow of the episode. Another great job on the directing.

- I actually though the animation was very good this time around. Sure, the backgrounds weren't as detailed (lol @ the runes on the bulletin boards at the train station), but the character animation was excellent this time around, something that I felt has been lacking in some other episodes. Winry in particular looked very pretty, and we didn't have a single shot of a character looking weirdly drawn.

- I'm so glad they kept Hughes with his gun XD, as well as Ed's blood spurts tongue.gif

- That rooftop scene was probably my favorite scene out of the entire series so far, no joke. The whole moving forward and getting stronger together theme is what FMA is all about, and there's no better scene than that to convey it. I loved the music, the cinematography, and the nifty visual of the two brothers fist-bumping with their metal arms. Al's outburst, and Ed and Winry's reactions were also very well-done. It really broke my heart to see young Ed in pain too.

- NEED. NEXT. EPISODE. NOW. Or maybe not sad.gif

- Man, I'm gonna miss Hughes. We probably won't have the same emotional impact when he goes as the first series did due to the shorter time we spent with him, but then again, the sense I always got from the manga was that of a life so full of potential cut tragically short. We saw in this episode how he's become something of a father figure to the Elrics (offering them shelter, visiting them, questioning to Roy why he made Ed a state alchemist, etc.) and Winry as well as a great ally, and the way he's suddenly offed is very shocking. The real tragedy I think is how his life was cut so short and just when his relationship to the characters was developing. In this series, the full emotional impact I think is going to be more subtle and take more time to develop. It's only going to be after his death that we'll really begin to feel for Hughes and what he meant to everyone.

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jun 1 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #66

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

Romi Paku really did an amazing job in this episode. She was awesome. And the music was good too...it was a little Harry Potter-esque at times lol but I liked it. And the show seems to be settling down in terms of pacing, which is nice. I really hope the good pacing keeps up next week, because I think it will be crucial for all that emotion that they don't rush through anything...(although I kind of do want to rush through it)

On a lighter note...the FMA guy was especially ridiculous this week laugh.gif. *facepalm*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 1 2009, 04:28 AM
Post #67

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Wow, this was another good episode!! First off, I'm glad the "Alchemy" intro is gone. And, I'm a sucker for brotherly love stuff, and this episode even got me teary a little. The art style was fine, IMO. All the characters did look like them, and they did very much look like how they looked in manga, and I liked how they look. smile.gif Also, I understand they can't include every scenes from manga, and for the parts they did include, I think they did very good job. I loved the scene where Winry beats Al with wrench and talk some sense into him. Very emotional scene. ^^ And, I think Kugimiya-san did awesome job with Al's VAing in this chapter (again!!)!! I hope Funimation.com site will bring FMA Brotherhood episodes back on, because I can't wait to see this with official English sub!!

@Kirara - Thanks for posting the pic with the cameo appearance!! I would have missed the scene otherwise. ^^

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (Radadinator @ May 31 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Edit: I'm not exactly happy with how they're ripping so many manga panels from the manga...it's an adaptation, it should get creative sometime with the angles.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. I jump for joy every time they include a manga panel just because I'm happy they're sticking so close to the manga. And they did include some other scenes, like Al with the little toy robot.

So far, I'm with Radadinator on this one. I may get tired later, but for now, I like seeing the manga panels being animated. And, IMO, so far they are doing good job of animating those scenes, like the one with Winry talking to Ed in the hospital room while Al goes off and leaving Ed and Winry puzzled, in this episode. I think that manga panel came out very nice as the animated scene.

=============

Reminder:

For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming next. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read managa. I know many of you would like to talk about future upcoming events. If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS for upcoming events, so that those who have no idea for the future storyine would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KenRik
post Jun 1 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #68

Citizen

From: Somewhere where the sky is blue and hearts are one.
Member No.: 68,268

Just like everyone else, I really loved the way the emotions spurted out of the voice actors. Actually, before watching the episode, I thought that this episode in particular wouldn't hold the same emotional level compared to the first anime, but alas, I was mistaken. And it's all thanks to the GREAT combination of the art and the seiyuus!!!! I can finally sleep tonight in utter fulfillment!

And my, was I amazed. The art. It's superb compared to the others! And it was great! Finally watching the manga move in animation, even though they skipped some parts in the manga. But seriously, how many episodes will they be making for the Brotherhood? I'm asking since they seem to be moving rather quickly... or rather differently. I was hoping that they'd follow the course of the manga at least. Mostly since there are parts I'm really waiting for.

Either way, the ninth episode was great! I'm looking forward to the following episodes!

--------------------

I'll end this fight with one big blow.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 1 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #69

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

PROGRAM NOTE:

I would like to see this thread to be filled with discussions about THIS EPISODE, and not overrun by the talk of the possible content of upcoming episode, so... I ask anyone who would like to talk about the content of episode 10 to kindly head over to Future episode discussion thread ... please talk about the possible content of episode 10 on that thread. smile.gif

----

@Hagaren_4ever - I moved your post on episode 10 to Future episode discussion thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 1 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #70

Apprentice

QUOTE (KenRik @ Jun 1 2009, 01:16 PM) *
And my, was I amazed. The art. It's superb compared to the others! And it was great! Finally watching the manga move in animation, even though they skipped some parts in the manga. But seriously, how many episodes will they be making for the Brotherhood? I'm asking since they seem to be moving rather quickly... or rather differently. I was hoping that they'd follow the course of the manga at least. Mostly since there are parts I'm really waiting for.
Well, they seem to be slowing down since last weeks or so. Episodes aren't being exactly two chapters long anymore.
And they've found room to have some over-lengthy pauses in this one. (which totally could have been cut for more Ed or Highes tiem >_<)

Hopefully they'll start including everything, with a few extras once we really hit where the old anime has never been.
I'm less worried about what they'll miss and more worried about what they'll change though really...(the previous episodes' censorship springs to mind)

--------------------

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 1 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #71

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Weird how people's opinions on the art quality in this episode diverge =) I never notice art, normally, apart from the first episode where I remember thinking it amazing. However, I thought that this episode was quite unfortunate, with faces looking weird and that Ishbalan kid freezing in that frame for the entire conversation.

Now, the first part of this episode had the three things that always annoy me - Winry thinking that physical violence is an okay expression of her feelings (i.e. wrench-throwing); Maria slapping Ed because she thinks that she is in a position to tell him what to do and that slapping him will get the message across; and Al believing a deranged suit of armour who wants to kill him over his brother, Winry and Pinako.

That said, I loved the scene where Winry and Al are on the floor and she is hitting him repeatedly with a wrench.

Hughes generally brightened up this episode, and Elysia's party was great - I'm glad they kept the Winry/Elisia bonding. And the Al and Ed fighting and making up scene was great, too. Scar was all macho with his manly growls =)

The Fullmetal Alchemist eyecatch guy needs to just... stop.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Jun 1 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #72

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 10:47 AM) *
Now, the first part of this episode had the three things that always annoy me - Winry thinking that physical violence is an okay expression of her feelings (i.e. wrench-throwing)

That said, I loved the scene where Winry and Al are on the floor and she is hitting him repeatedly with a wrench.

The Fullmetal Alchemist eyecatch guy needs to just... stop.

Your two comments gave me a little laugh, but it is so true! Winry's wrench throwing is out of hand, but on the other hand the wrench slapping of Al was a good scene.

Ahh. the Fullmetal Alchemist guy! It brings back memories of going to a commercial break with Voltron, although the voice was Peter Cullen which made it better. The Robotech breaks were pretty bad too. tongue.gif Now you know where the name "Animeoldtimer" came from. wink.gif

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Jun 1 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #73

Apprentice

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 03:47 PM) *
Now, the first part of this episode had the three things that always annoy me - Winry thinking that physical violence is an okay expression of her feelings (i.e. wrench-throwing); Maria slapping Ed because she thinks that she is in a position to tell him what to do and that slapping him will get the message across; and Al believing a deranged suit of armour who wants to kill him over his brother, Winry and Pinako.
Winry's wrench rampages (don't try and say that too fast) seem no worse than Ed and Al beating the crap out of each other (like after Ed got his arm blown up). She's like another sibling to them, after all.

What's the problem with Maria slapping sense into Ed? That's a classic move.

And as for the whole thing with Al's identity crisis...It's not just like Barry lied to him and Al believed him. Barry simply suggested what could have plausibly happened, planted the seeds of doubt. And given what Ed had said, Al worrying about it being true is understandable really.
Besides, he did get a good kicking for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 1 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #74

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Animeoldtimer, heehee. The poor Fullmetal Alchemist guy has no idea how much dislike he's generated in the fandom. I'd hide, if I were him, and never admit to taking this job...

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 1 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Winry's wrench rampages (don't try and say that too fast) seem no worse than Ed and Al beating the crap out of each other (like after Ed got his arm blown up). She's like another sibling to them, after all.

It's just that her wrench-throwing got old for me really, really quickly in FMA1 and I've never warmed to it since. This is my greatest beef with Winry, this reliance on violence to articulate her worry/sadness/anger. That said, it might very well be that FMA1 ruined her for me (and I watched the anime before I read the manga). She does seem to have a greater range of emotion than WRENCH, I THROW IT it the manga, so I'm slowly growing to sort of tolerate her.

What's the problem with Maria slapping sense into Ed? That's a classic move.

Quite apart from the fact that hitting a child should never be a classic move, I just dislike her presumptuousness here. What does she know of the Elric brothers and their relationship with adults? Nothing. And she does, of course, have a good point about them needing to warn people and not only think of themselves, but she can't know how true her assumptions are.

And as for the whole thing with Al's identity crisis...It's not just like Barry lied to him and Al believed him. Barry simply suggested what could have plausibly happened, planted the seeds of doubt. And given what Ed had said, Al worrying about it being true is understandable really.
Besides, he did get a good kicking for it.

Al getting a good kicking for it is the only thing that reconciles me with the situation =) It's just that it's such a huge betrayal of Ed, in my eyes. I mean, Al seriously believes in Ed being the kind of person who would want to create an artificial brother and then lie to him about it for years on end. Worse, Al clearly thinks that Winry and Granny Pinako are capable of lying to him, as well. It's as if he doesn't know these people - everything is eclipsed by his sudden wangst. In her Quick Episode Summaries for FMA1, Mikkeneko sums up the episode 24, in which the whole Al angst happens, this way:

Al: I'm having an existential crisis. These things are a lot more severe when you don't actually, y'know, exist.
Rick and Leo: Allow us to distract you with our oppressedness.
Al: You're Ishvarians, like Scar! Boy! Why didn't I think of Scar earlier? If there's a better person to go to for emotional validation and reassurance than a proven sociopath whose stated goal in life is to kill my brother, I can't imagine who!
Ed: You dumbass, don't you realize that it's always about MY angst?
Al: Oh right. Well, let's jump in front of danger for each other to make the fangirls happy, and call it a day.
Scar: Al, you're human. Because my arm also has the script programmed in, and it told me so.
Al: Oh, thank you! That's MUCH more convincing than the evidence of the people who have known me all my life!

And, while the manga (and therefore this episode) deals with this sequence in a way that makes a hell of a lot more sense, the general weirdness of Al's emotional vicissitudes remains, as for me.

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post Jun 1 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #75

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

LOVED this summery version of FMA1! I started laughing as I read it.

QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Jun 1 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Al: You're Ishvarians, like Scar! Boy! Why didn't I think of Scar earlier? If there's a better person to go to for emotional validation and reassurance than a proven sociopath whose stated goal in life is to kill my brother, I can't imagine who!

I mean, of course!!! Who else is he supposed to go to? Someone who will tell him the truth--like the person who clearly wants his brother dead. Because obviously Scar won't sugar-coat the truth and lie to him! The blinding hatred and rage wouldn't allow it. lol

In all: Definatley prefered ep 9 to the version of events in FMA1

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 01:58 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css