Watchmen, Your opinion on the film *spoilers contained within*
Dickens
post Mar 16 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,806

Hello smile.gif

So I went to see Watchmen on the weekend, and I've been waiting for it to happen for a couple of years now, since I heard it was in the making. I love the graphic novel, all the symbolism and content, the character development, the characters themselves...

But- I was a little dissapointed by the film.

Several reasons why, one being the violence. Now, yes it's an 18 and the GN does deal with some dark issues, but was there any need for changing and developing the more intense grusome bits of the book? I mean- spoiler- the whole guts on the ceiling after being blown up by Manhattan, the fact that in the book the bloke who gets tied to prison bars has his throat cut, but in the film has his arms saw off... is it really needed???

Overall I'd rate the film a 6.5 out of 10, but I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it and what the thought about it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blitz
post Mar 16 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Major General

Member No.: 18,681

I completely agree; the violence was rather gratuitous. A lot of unnecessary things were thrown into the movie, and it seems like they abused the "R" rating. :/

--------------------

just an ordinary kind of happy
Graphics by BlitzDeviantArt

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 16 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Completly agree, just like the sex scene. Did we have to look at nakedness for so long?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 16 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #4

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

At least it's a a fairly faithful adaptation even if it doesn't do it for fans of the comic as much as we'd like.
it may have missed the finer points (like Vedit worrying over whether he did the right thing and such) but as a companion piece to the comic it's not that bad.
The movie is basically an advert for the big huge DVD anyway.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 16 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Indeed, and I will even concede that leaving out the squid in replace of the explosion and framing Jon worked well in the film.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 17 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #6

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Oh yeah, expect lots of internet kiddies to idolise Rorschach and ignore all his glaring faults (or turn them into positive traits.)

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 17 2009, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Apprentice

Do you reckon they were trying to avoid that happening when they gave it an 18 cert? tongue.gif lol

Although Jackie Earle Haley did a great job on a very difficult character.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xXdark_angel_nek...
post Mar 17 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,808

well as for me i have to say that the movie was epic. i saw it at the imax theather. that was epic. Rorschach got blown up by Dr. Manhattan. he was my favorite person in the movie.

--------------------

Sometimes...... some memories ain't meant to leave traces. ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 17 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #9

Apprentice

It's a moving scene that, although i don't like that dan saw it, in the book he doesn't. I keep comparing the book and the film though, thats my problem. I should probably look at the film more objectivly but I can't seem to do it, I keep comparing. The extended dvd might give me some more joy.

I loved the actors they picked though. They were spot on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kelen
post Mar 17 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 66,705

I was waiting for this movie for some time, and before premiere I bought all volumes of polish edition. I knew that Alan Moore history is one of the greatest and most important graphic novel in 80's. And - wow - sure it is. Now, it's my fav comic book history.
Movie? I enjoyed it very much. It's the BEST movie based on comic book - Snyder made something special - a movie for comic book fan. For fan that wanted this epic comic book on screen with all original content. Sure, there are few changes (like the ending - but IMO, it's better in the movie - and it fits for it), whatever.
And about complaining that movie is too violent - I think it is NOT. First, categoery R, Sec, everything was like in comic book (well, maybe not the scene with fat man in prison). The scene when Manhattan blowing up bad guys is ok - I mean - if something would blow up from inside it would be messy. Very messy.
Sex scene - true, in comic book there were only few shots and in the movie there is full scene, but I think, if comic book and movie is concentrated around people - not action - then I think that is good to show something that is normal thing in our life (also, it's shows us something more about characters).

Annd, sorry for my english.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 18 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Hey Kelen, welcome to the boards smile.gif (I know I'm a bit late but oh well tongue.gif)

I still believe the movie is too violent. There are very dark themes covered in the GN, it contains incredibly violent images, but why include suct over the top scenes of violence. Yes if you were blown apart from the inside it would be messy, but why incluse shots of women with chunks of human on thier face, as well as camera shots of organs plastered onto the ceiling.

But its like most movies these days. It's assumed that to scare people, you need gore, and that for audiences to get the point, things need to graphically shoved in front of your face.

I'm excited for the DVD though, to see if the rumours are true...

--------------------

+Quote Post
kelen
post Mar 18 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Hello, hello smile.gif
why incluse shots of women with chunks of human on thier face

As fair I remember, that woman was Dr Manhattan fiancee, right? And I think that scenes shows us reaction of people that are close to Manhattan and their shock for this what thing he is doing with no emotions.
Probably (beacuse I didn't watch it - there is NO premier in our country of this movie and I don't know the reason) the film with too much violent is new Punisher, Punisher: War Zone.
I'm excited about DVD too, beacuse of more scenes (over 3 hour movie, yeah), including SPOILER death of Hollis Mason and Dan's reaction for it. SPOILER

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 18 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Apprentice

Violent spoiler I meant when he blows up a couple of guys in a bar, theres organs on the ceiling and then they do close ups of two women sitting at a table with chunks on thier face, not pretty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kelen
post Mar 18 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Yeah, not nice. I was wondering about reaction (and other scenes) of some people, beacuse... there were few parents with 8-10 years old children.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dickens
post Mar 18 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #15

Apprentice

You're kidding!?!? Thats awful, I'd never let my 12 year old sister watch that film at her age.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 12:52 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css