HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 10: Separate Destinations - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Spoilers for the first 10 episodes!!
Radadinator
post Jun 8 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #61

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,706

QUOTE (Goral @ Jun 8 2009, 07:27 AM) *
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Jun 8 2009, 09:22 AM) *
(...) The phonebooth scene was great, except that it would've been more effective if Envy spoke in Gracia's voice, in my opinion. (...)

That would be stupid. How exactly could Envy know how Gracia's voice sounded? For once creators of FMA:B used their brains.

I don't remember Envy ever meeting Ross, either, and he ended up sounding exactly like her. And there were all those times in the first series when he turned into Winry or Ed. I'm pretty sure Envy knows how to copy voices.

Seriously, it's like Armond White possessed half of the FMA fans.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 8 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #62

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

But we are talking about second series here, and what's more, I think Maria Ross is a bit more popular than a typical housewife wink.gif and don't forget that Envy often changes into a soldier to spy, so he could easly get info about the military.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 8 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Radadinator @ Jun 8 2009, 12:49 PM) *
I don't remember Envy ever meeting Ross, either, and he ended up sounding exactly like her. And there were all those times in the first series when he turned into Winry or Ed. I'm pretty sure Envy knows how to copy voices.

As for Envy not meeting Maria Ross I hope you are referring to the first series. Well I don't remember specifically either way in that case. But in episode 8 of Brotherhood Envy met Maria at Lab 5. Hence why Envy could imitate Maria's voice but not Gracia's voice.

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Jun 8 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 59,111

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 8 2009, 09:49 PM) *
As for Envy not meeting Maria Ross I hope you are referring to the first series. Well I don't remember specifically either way in that case. But in episode 8 of Brotherhood Envy met Maria at Lab 5. Hence why Envy could imitate Maria's voice but not Gracia's voice.

I completely forgot about that! You're right!

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 8 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #65

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I already knew I was probably going to cry, because damn if last episode got me teary-eyed, there was no way I was going to survive this one.

I prepared myself, and then they made it even more sad than the manga or anime1 by dragging it out with the "Gracia...Elysia...I'm sorry, I can't keep my promise" or whatever. That legit killed me.

It was done wonderfully, though. I loved this episode. So sad, so perfect. The burial scenes kills as well.

Then Roy's like, "Ize gonna revenge Hughes" and I couldn't help but laugh a bit, like, "Oh, just you wait..."

The Ishbal flashback is just one of those things that makes me go "YES! This is really a manga adaption!" and I get happy all over again.

YAY for only one episode of Rush Valley! I know it's really important for Winry's character (showing that she's not a loser like the first anime Winry) but it's certainly not my favorite.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 8 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #66

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 35,674

QUOTE ("Kirara")
But in episode 8 of Brotherhood Envy met Maria at Lab 5. Hence why Envy could imitate Maria's voice but not Gracia's voice.

Sometimes, you know, we have the answer here, before our nose, so evident... that we don't think about it laugh.gif Man, and I was going to enter into a big speculation mess tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 8 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #67

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jun 8 2009, 04:44 PM) *
YAY for only one episode of Rush Valley! I know it's really important for Winry's character (showing that she's not a loser like the first anime Winry) but it's certainly not my favorite.

Indeed. Winry was a true loser in the first anime. I don't mean to make anyone mad here, but if I may state my opinion she had no life. It was all waiting. Waiting waiting waiting for the brothers to return. And then when they left it was all "waah! T_T". It was pathetic! Also, am I the only one who is questioning her schooling situation? It seems like she's got nothing but time! It... KINDA showed school back in episode 2, but since then... nothing.
Anyway, it SHOWS that she has a life more in this one. You know, friends and stuff.
Sorry for the rant. >_<

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 8 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #68

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE ("Hagaren_4ever")
Indeed. Winry was a true loser in the first anime.

Love her in the manga. Hate her in the first series. 'nuff said.

QUOTE ("Hagaren_4ever")
Also, am I the only one who is questioning her schooling situation?

She must be like the brothers : she is too gifted intellectually to go to school (she slept in class. Come on). So as soon as she discovered automails, she stopped going and instead put all her efforts into learning about those, like the brothers with biology.

In fact, most of the "young ones" in that manga are most probably big time geniuses or smart enough to live without a lot of education : Winry is gifted for mechanic and already experienced at age fifteen, the brothers are big time alchemists at 15, May Chang is a bad-[All hail lord Xenu] fighter and alchemist at age twelve, Paninya is living by herself at a very young age, first by pick-pocketing and now by working on repairing roofs, etc. Roy and the others went to big schools, at least.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 8 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #69

Although it is never quite said outright I always assumed that in the Fullmetal Alchemist world kids go to school for a shorter period of time then we do and then apprentice themselves out.

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 8 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #70

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 9 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Although it is never quite said outright I always assumed that in the Fullmetal Alchemist world kids go to school for a shorter period of time then we do and then apprentice themselves out.

Oooh, a very good idea. I just assumed they were too cool for school and, indeed, young geniuses all around. Apprenticeship ftw. Dovetails nicely with Roy studying under Riza's father, too.

Although some sort of institutionalized education seems to exist, or am I dreaming up the existence of a military academy? It might very well be fanon...

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jun 8 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #71

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

No there was definatly an academy. Riza mentioned it when she was going on about her time in Ishbal. She also said at her Father's funeral, "At the very least my father was able to give me a good education." And during that time, she seemed to be a teenager, so schooling for teens seems to exist as well. :/

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 8 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #72

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 8 2009, 06:49 PM) *
No there was definatly an academy. Riza mentioned it when she was going on about her time in Ishbal. She also said at her Father's funeral, "At the very least my father was able to give me a good education." And during that time, she seemed to be a teenager, so schooling for teens seems to exist as well. :/

Then it could possibly be formal education is only compulsory to a certain age. Maybe you can continue to study to a higher level like Riza or maybe like Ed, Al, & Winry you can become an apprentice. In fact I am pretty sure in Japan, high school is actually not compulsory. Of course I am not necessarily saying the Japanese educational system is what Arakawa is basing the Hagaren educational system on but of course it can be partially influenced by it.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Jun 8 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #73

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Unless she showed any inclination for something other than automail repair/construction, there wasn't any real reason for Winry to go through any other sort of education. After her parents died, it was clear that she would have to learn her grandmother's trade to make ends meet. There was no way Pinako could have afforded too much further education fo her to begin with, and if Winry already had an interest, there was no reason for any more formal education, anyway.

I have a feeling that life in Risembool is feast or famine, it's a nice looking place but I don't see them being particularly prosperous unless the crops are doing well.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
mira mirth
post Jun 9 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #74

Citizen

Member No.: 44,190

Or else, combining all of the above and Riza's statement that Hagaren_4ever quoted, it might be that basic education is compulsory (we see Ed, Al, Winry going to school), then further education is both not mandatory and somehow expensive. Only the wealthier people can afford it (e.g. Riza); those who don't have the time and the money go into a trade from a young age. At the age when Winry is an accomplished automail mechanic, Riza would have only been reading her textbooks. Roy seems to have been lucky: he describes himself as a "country bumpkin" at some point, so he must have been among the have-nots; then he apprenticed under Riza's father and got a meteoric rise through the military ranks thanks to the flame alchemy of pwnage. The Armstrongs, on the other hand, have probably gone through the formal education channels.

I wonder what would have happened had Hohenheim not left his family. Would Ed and Al still have apprenticed in alchemy, or would they have chosen to study something else, or...? Hm. Can't imagine Ed as anything other than a crazy alchemist, but maybe Al would have become an alchemical architect, or something =)

+Quote Post
Sannom
post Jun 9 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #75

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE ("penguintruth")
I have a feeling that life in Risembool is feast or famine, it's a nice looking place but I don't see them being particularly prosperous unless the crops are doing well.

They're not actually in growing plants and cereals, that region is famous for its wool, so its mainly sheep.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 01:18 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css