Joined: 29-June 09
Member No.: 69,791
-Al vs Pride and Kimblee was the highlight of the episode for me. -Nice surprise use of "Rain", I found it to sync really well (and all the fights transitioned well too) actually and improved Olivier's moving (?) eyes when Alex saved her yet again, one of the few times she blatantly shows any sign of affection for her brother. -Central soldiers are kinda dumb - looking for an "Ice Cream" truck when there's a Flame ALCHEMIST on the other team and pointing guns at the Armstrongs. -The BGM track when Kimblee ate Pride - has that been on an OST yet? I only remember hearing it when Winry picked up that gun. -End of the episode seemed abrupt. -I don't like how Envy looks in the preview. Next week's set of episodes (10 & 53) will go together really well.
Joined: 21-May 09
From: Yorkshire, UK
Member No.: 68,926
I liked this episode; the animation was great. However, the art looked really weird in some places. xD The zombie dolls just scare the crap out of me, things that are dead should stay dead. Same with Sloth- his speed was freaky; if something was coming towards me at that speed, you wouldn't see me for dust because I'd be straight out the door. xD
I felt like I couldn't breathe when Kimbley was struggling for breath; it sounded so painful and it sent shivers down my spine.
The music was also really good--adding Rain was a little weird, but it wasn't entirely unfitting.
Also, Mustang's entrance was win. Even when my sister walked in she was like "YEAH! GO MUSTANG!" xD
Joined: 21-January 08
From: The cold, icy north
Member No.: 55,758
As I've already mentioned, I haven't read this part of the manga, so didn't know how things would play out dead on, which was a nice change. Slightly mixed feelings about this episode though, to be honest. It was pretty good, but in comparison to last weeks, which slightly much blew me away, it was a minor letdown. Animation was overall more consistent here, but the music was not used as well at all.
- I liked the fight against Pride and Kimbley. Alphonse handled himself pretty well out there, both in terms of wooping some butt, and also of course in looking awesome while doing it. Both the sword sequence and the dragon transmutation were pretty neat, I especially found the angles of the latter to be damn cool.
- Yoki saving the day, I really felt his bravery While it was lolful, it was still epic, and a little moving in a way, no one had expected him to come out there. But he did.
- Kimbley getting bitten was lacking on impact for me, could have been much, much better. But the scene afterwards, where he is lying in pain on the ground, struggling for breath, almost made up for it. Pride eating him was definitely creepy and disturbing enough in my opinion.
- But really, despite some pretty good scenes on Al and co's part, Olivier and Alex owned this episode. The Opening song did not feel right for me, while Ed was fighting zombies. The scene itself wasn't powerful or emotional in any way. So I thought that was lame. But then it transitioned to Alex and Olivier, the former being all noble in a moment of epic heroicness. HERE the song fitted, accompanying - or even enhancing - the scene very well. Quite nice.
- About the zombies, I really feel they missed out on some "scariness" potential. They don't really feel like that much of a big deal, and they're not treated as one either, by neither directors or characters. Not until towards the end of the episode, anyway. Also, why is there no gore? I felt this goes for Heinkel snogging with Kimbley as well, snd some Sloth parts. This show has already shown it can be more brutal than the manga, so why the timidness now?
- Mustang's entrance to the scene was good. But the ending of the episode was a bit awkward.
Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3 Bye bye, Edward Elric :(
Joined: 1-November 09
From: New Jersey
Member No.: 71,737
An excellent episode, not a lot to complain about, really.
A lot of great moments here- Al vs. Pride and Kimblee, Yoki's Crowning Moment of Awesome, Alex going all out against Sloth, etc.
But no one's yet mentioned my favorite moment- when Olivier's on the ground, and the Central troops bust in, under orders that she be shot on sight. Then the homunculus army breaks in, the troops have no idea what's going on, and she grabs the guy's gun hand and forces him to put the barrel of the pistol right up against her forehead and commands him to basically grow a pair and make a choice one way or the other.
Now -that- was badass, and even a slight improvement on the manga version, where she simply leaned her head up to the gun.