Joined: 10-July 09
From: Lincoln, Uk
Member No.: 70,019
Hey not seen the whole ep ep subbed yet but have a had a quick look at the Envy True Form scenes after I saw the pics and heard that people were wondering if it's CGI or 2D. Well it might just be the quality of the video and I'll have a definate answer for you in a few hours once I've seen the whole thing subbed but as a prelimary opinion I'd say that it's both. They've used CGI for some shots when you see him move alot or his whole body, and 2D for the close up, more dramatic shots. Like I said, just a prelimary opinion I may change that after seeing it in better quality.
Joined: 14-November 06
Member No.: 42,805
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Sep 27 2009, 10:07 PM)
-I don't remember the Fuhrer talking about Elicia like that, but it was a nice touch. (to make you hate him more)
Is this new dialogue or is it the adapted 'Girl behaved badly at her father's funeral' quote from the manga? Interestingly, Bradley wasn't the only one. I remember back in the days of Anime1 when some viewers thought Elysia should have known better.
Joined: 10-July 09
From: Lincoln, Uk
Member No.: 70,019
Seen the whole ep now, here are my thoughts:
- As a few have pointed out, err... why aren't Ling and Ed drenched in blood? I'm guessing its cause it'd be harder to colour the characters if they were, or maybe it's a censory issue. I hope it's not the latter as I direct their attention to Gluttony being ripped apart back in Episode... 20 something. Either way... odd.
- Loved Ed's telepathy joke in the manga, love it here.
- Oh Yoki, you do amuse.
- ...did I just see May Chang and Shao May sparring?
- Ed and Ling make such a great pair (NOT THAT WAY) I find them more amusing than Ed and Al in some ways.
- Like the athletes foot joke
- So Ling actually ate the shoe? I always thought that was left ambiguous... hang on
*goes and checks Manga*
- Okay I guess he did eat it in the Manga you just never see it... they mention eating it and then its sort of... gone so that explains it I suppose.
- Whoah Envy arrives and the animation goes up a notch, some of the acting on him when he's talking about Ishbal is some of the best I've seen in the series.
- Like how the ended the first half
- Also like Envy's eyecatch, it stands out to me for some reason
- Like that they added the scene of Envy shooting the girl, it was nice and creepy, just how I like my murdering of the innocent.
- Hmm... they removed Envy calling Wrath a brat but added that the man Envy imitated was definately put to death. Though on the latter point, I guess it was always assumed.
- Ah this is what we're here for! Envy's true form! And looks like what I said in my earlier post is true, but waaaaay better done than I thought. I direct you to the part when Envy lashes Ed with his tail. Envy's body is CGI, but his tail is 2D, but blended so well it's scary. I suspect that their using the CGI model primarily for long and wide shots, to make it easier on the animators. I just wish they wouldn't have Envy do that weird rocking/bouncing thing all CGI characters do when not doing anything else. I know it's supposed to be like he's breathing but in something where NO ONE else does that, it stands out a tiny bit. Otherwise, he looks fecking awesome.
- Wrath talking about Elicia speaks to me as I do find her annoying at times.
- I like that they added the Seilm/Hawkeye comparison.
- I love that Envy's voice hasn't changed much despite his size, from what we can hear in this week anyway, they've just sorted added a... well an effect similiar to the one on Pride's voice from last week.
- Ed's bad taste strikes again lol
- I love Gluttony during this little arc, he's so innocent and adorable.
- Honestly, I've always hated Shao May, I didn't think she was cute at all in the Manga but she's starting to grow on me now.
- Huh... you know what, I like that they added that little scene of Al going 'OMG Your Father's in Central?!' because on reflection the manga sort of glosses over that little surprising fact. No one seems at all surprised or bothered about it. It also makes a good cliff hanger... especially when you consider there's a shot of Hohenheim in the ending that looks very similar to the last shot of Gluttony and Alphonse.
- Next week: LET'S KICK [All hail lord Xenu] AND CHEW BUBBLEGUM pretty much sums it up from the preview. I suspect though alot of that will be contained in the first half, judging from the title anyway
Joined: 15-May 09
Member No.: 68,794
I don't like very much the Envy's true form color scheme, and I think that his true form was more detailed in the manga (also, here it seems soooo much bigger than there, but I could be wrong). And I agree with the one who said that Hawkeye and Mustang look a bit strange, sometimes, in this episode.
Except for that, one of the best episodes so far the Ishbal flashback is awesome as always and generally talking is a really excellent episode.
Joined: 12-June 09
From: Owl City
Member No.: 69,452
I love this episode.. ed and Lin is ♥ xP I don't like how envy was drawn but it's still good...but not as creepy as it was drawn in the manga.. I just noticed something..just where did Ed put the gun lend by Riza.. I reread the manga and found that it was placed it his back, on his pants.. I saw no gun in the ep..just where it is? Mei-chan looks really cute. and the Ishval flashback was WOW!.. the little girl looks like Canaan xP
Joined: 3-May 08
Member No.: 59,190
This episode was good I loved the Elric telepathy. The Winry flashback was nice haha (when Ed said it was Envy's fault that Winry lost her parents). Bradley's comment about Elicia was cruel,she just a little kid who lost her father,not like your son who's a homunculus Overall the episode was very good
Joined: 24-February 06
Member No.: 31,830
Found it pretty funny. Some serious shiz going down too. Enjoyed it. Although I really didn't like the Envy flashback to killing the little girl. Although I don't think they ever showed it in the manga, the idea of a stray bullet at border riots or something (I believe I get from the original anime?) makes a lot more sense and is a lot more real than it just seeming like some nutter shot a kid in a ridiculously evil way.
Still think rereading the manga version and seeing what they edited will make me vomit with purist rage, but hey. ;D
Joined: 12-March 05
Member No.: 9,551
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Sep 28 2009, 08:07 PM)
Watching the episode again, I noticed that Envy/tumors never say "Don't look at me." Just thought it was kind of weird, considering that the preview narrator guy said "Dont look at me" last preview.
You're right! The tumor things also should have been saying "help me" and other stuff.
But so happy that the animation for Envy's true form was sooo awesome!! The movements were blended so well that his movements were almost fluid. I also liked how the animation was for when Envy was just starting to transform.
I'm very happy that they kept in Ling asking Ed if he saw the ground under Envy when they last fought. In the last episode, they showed it twice, so they could show that Envy really weighs alot. IDK, I'm just happy they kept that in.
Loved the elric Telepathy!!
The Xiao mei backstory was so cute!!!
Ummm....where's the gun Ed was given? Darn, they took that scene out! It was small, they could have kept it!
Wow, even after falling into the blood, Ling and Ed are clean. Bones must have used alot of their budget to animate the awesome Envy's true form.
Gluttony is actually cute!
Mustang's crew is split. Love the look on his face. Shows that he does care. And that he has to make a new plan.
Action filled episode next week!!
Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^ My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!) Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist
Joined: 10-July 08
Member No.: 60,921
I liked how they included the "Elric telepathy" scene. It was pretty funny in the manga and here as well. It's one of those bits of humor that really works, even in the tension of the scene, or perhaps because of it, because Ed's worried about his brother's reaction. Ling's reaction to it is also amusing. Sometimes I dislike the humor injected into the story, but this worked, as did the shoe-eating and Ed asking Envy to help them.
They certainly added to the backstory of Mei and Xaio Mei. It was severely adorable watching the two of them train and eat together. I also liked Mei's scene with Yoki. The poor guy.
The flashback to Envy (disguised as the soldier) shooting the little girl and starting the war was entirely unexpected, as it wasn't in the manga, and I thought was pretty shocking. I have a hard time deciding whether it was gutsy or excessive, but for now I'll just say that it was a surprise.
Another thing I have difficulty deciding on is whether Envy's true form looks good or not. There's obvious CGI at work, but I don't think it's that ugly. I think they probably could have done a slightly better job, but it doesn't look that terrible. I'll just have to see how this plays out in the next episode.
I felt like they tried to sneak in a little too much in the latter half of the second half the show, though. Bradley telling Roy why he spared him, Riza's reassignment, Alphonse deciding to have Gluttony take him to Father, all of that sort of whisked by, I felt. Still, I guess it was all right, I guess I just wasn't expecting it and thought they could have included more of Ed and Ling's battle with Envy instead and taken care of the other things in the next episode.
Still, a pretty impressive episode.
Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;