HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can I Be Honest? I'm FMA-1 fan and I'm Not Feeling Hot About Having another FMA (Remake) anime, FMA:Brotherhood supporters, please kindly stay away :)
Rating 3 V
Tombow
post May 18 2009, 03:48 AM
Post #16

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Imbris @ May 18 2009, 06:43 AM) *
Haha yeah, I really didn't mean it that way, but I know how it came off. Continue as usual. tongue.gif

@Imbris - Yeah, that's kind of I thought. biggrin.gif
(I do the similar stuff, and my posts often do come off NOT the way I intended, then I go "oops" as I read back later, so I know that well. laugh.gif )
Anyway, in case others might also read your post in a wrong way, I'm glad we got that cleared up. ^^

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post May 18 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,332

Hmm...I guess I can't bash nor defend the new series.

I rave about each new episode in the episode discussions, but to be honest...I have been slightly disappointed with each one on some points.

I understand why they wanted to make a new one. That motion I'm not going to complain about. I want to see Ling, RanFan, Mei, the Father...all of them animated. I'm so excited for that.

However, I feel that they're being a little sloppy. Maybe this is because this is coming from someone who has watched the first series at least twice and reads the manga.

I don't know what the show looks like from someone who is watching it for the first time (and if there is anyone, they should make a thread exclusively for new viewers smile.gif...I'd love to read what they have to say about it wink.gif ).

Overall, I have to say I am pleased with the new series. I think the pacing is a bit rushed, and they left out some things I felt were important. I don't understand why they can't do it frame-per-frame from the manga. Other animes do it all the time, it shouldn't be difficult.

But...I won't stop watching it either. I hope in the end it all pieces together like intended biggrin.gif

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

Overall, I have to say I am pleased with the new series. I think the pacing is a bit rushed, and they left out some things I felt were important. I don't understand why they can't do it frame-per-frame from the manga. Other animes do it all the time, it shouldn't be difficult.

I agree with you that things have been going faster than I would like. But you have to keep this is mind. Besides a few details that differ right now what is basically happening is a rehash of what was already covered by the 1st series. We are all familiar with the manga so we know things are going to eventually differ. But you know what there are tons of fans only familiar with the 1st series who might not realize how different this new series will eventually become (sad but true I have seen many comments that have confirmed this. Basically people saying what is the point this is just going to be one big rehash).

Now I expect the Japanese fans are a little bit more familair with the manga (after all the manga is a top seller there) but even still I bet a bunch of fans don't really care to see the same scenes that were animated in the last series twice.

From a story point of view this series might feel a little rushed. But if you take the above into account it's a little understandable why they are rushing things to get to the new stuff. It is a shame that because of the 1st series the first half of this series is suffering a little but I do think it has gotten much better from the initial couple episodes and the pace is settling down despite the fact that they have been adapting 2 chapters into 1 episode.

I think once we get into the new stuff not covered by the 1st series things will be more exciting because we have never seen this stuff animated before and it will be fun to see everyone's reaction who are not familiar with this stuff. For now all we get is comparisons to the 1st series and that's not really that fun. And honestly I've seen mostly positive responses from people who are completely new to FMA. It seems the people who have the most complaints are manga and first series fans.

+Quote Post
Envy II
post May 18 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,400

I'm enjoying it, but it is going a bit fast.

I understand why... because we all want to get to the manga content that the original anime never got to, but in the process of rushing it's becoming less what I enjoyed from the original. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but the liking of the characters is less... Such as Hughes. In the original anime he was shown a lot, and we learned to like him a lot as a character. When you know what comes around in this anime, will we be as sad?

Really, they haven't shown that he loves his family like he does much at all this time. Perhaps some people like that, but I always found that really funny in the first anime. sad.gif

Hopefully the pacing will slow down a whole lot once they get to the manga content. It has to!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 18 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

QUOTE (Envy II @ May 18 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Really, they haven't shown that he loves his family like he does much at all this time. Perhaps some people like that, but I always found that really funny in the first anime. sad.gif

He won't be around as long but they will show this I guarantee it since the 1st anime did not come up with this trait for Hughes. As for being as sad honestly I don't know but the fact that you already know what happens is also going to have an effect.

As for liking the characters less well keep in mind that you are comparing your feelings for the characters in 51 episodes of the last series to only 7 episodes in this series. Having read the manga I can't even say what my feelings for these anime characters truly are because I am already heavily influenced by what I know from the manga. For example I know when I was reading the manga I was not a big fan of Roy & Riza at this point in the story but since I am now from the 95 chapters I have read of the manga I already love Roy & Riza at this point in this new series.

And sorry I know we are not supposed to debate here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post May 18 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #21

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

QUOTE (Kirara @ May 18 2009, 11:52 AM) *

I agree with you that things have been going faster than I would like. But you have to keep this is mind. Besides a few details that differ right now what is basically happening is a rehash of what was already covered by the 1st series. We are all familiar with the manga so we know things are going to eventually differ. But you know what there are tons of fans only familiar with the 1st series who might not realize how different this new series will eventually become (sad but true I have seen many comments that have confirmed this. Basically people saying what is the point this is just going to be one big rehash).

Now I expect the Japanese fans are a little bit more familair with the manga (after all the manga is a top seller there) but even still I bet a bunch of fans don't really care to see the same scenes that were animated in the last series twice.

From a story point of view this series might feel a little rushed. But if you take the above into account it's a little understandable why they are rushing things to get to the new stuff. It is a shame that because of the 1st series the first half of this series is suffering a little but I do think it has gotten much better from the initial couple episodes and the pace is settling down despite the fact that they have been adapting 2 chapters into 1 episode.

I think once we get into the new stuff not covered by the 1st series things will be more exciting because we have never seen this stuff animated before and it will be fun to see everyone's reaction who are not familiar with this stuff. For now all we get is comparisons to the 1st series and that's not really that fun. And honestly I've seen mostly positive responses from people who are completely new to FMA. It seems the people who have the most complaints are manga and first series fans.

Yes, I see what you're saying...and that's what I'm hoping for. That once they get to the stuff people who have only watched the first anime are unfamiliar with, it will slow down. I guess I should keep in mind they'll cut out a scene here or there, or a line now and then...but I think as long as the stick to the content and character well enough, I'll like it better.

And you're right, people have no idea what's coming if they've never read the manga (like Roy vs. Lust, Ling, RanFan, Mei, Olivier Armstrong...Bradley being Wrath and not Pride! lol...)

As of now, I'll keep watching though! I don't hate anything about it, even if some things bother me a bit wink.gif

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
FullMetalFist
post May 19 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 50,694

You know I did feel it was a little rushed, but did not know if I should say it. Ha ha, What happens if they do not slow down and this whole series is one big rushed thing. It is called fullmetal alchemist, and lets face it metal(music reference) is fast(aka lame joke biggrin.gif . That would suck, o well fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 19 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

Although I went on a huge hype when I heard about the new anime (in fact, I'm still in hype of some sort. XD ) I have to agree.. there IS something that makes me feel a bit uneasy, too. I don't know what. Maybe the whole fact that there's two animes now. It feels confusing, even though it's clear that they are kind of rotating in a separate universes from eachother. (Like Tombow said. :3 )

The story is indeed going way too fast now, but it makes sense in a way, we already saw these scenes in the first anime. But it's still kind of a shame, if, for example, someone watches Brothehood before the first FMA, they're going to miss so many great parts of the beginning of the story. D:

I guess I still love the first FMA more, for some reason.. although I'm more a fan of the manga storyline. smile.gif But I definitely can see your concern.

Guess we'll have to see how it keeps going. Who knows, maybe the true quality kicks in after we get all the way to the manga-only storyline.

+Quote Post
Lost_in_translat...
post May 19 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 68,889

QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 19 2009, 06:54 AM) *
Guess we'll have to see how it keeps going. Who knows, maybe the true quality kicks in after we get all the way to the manga-only storyline.

Yeah me too. Btw hello everybody! smile.gif

I'm glad this thread was created. I was lurking around this forum lately and everybody's been so thrilled about the new series I kind of dreaded posting that I don't really like it. I mean there are scenes that I enjoy and I esp loved the 1st and 4th episode but overall I'm still not used to it. It's probably because I finished watching the 1st series a couple of months ago and then I finished reading the manga. Now I feel like my head's going to explode x_x biggrin.gif

I hope it gets better and I hope I'll get used to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greensky
post May 21 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 7,478

I'm glad to hear that many people feel the same way I do about this "new" series. FMA is my all-time favorite anime. I've never read the Manga past volume 5 though, so I have no idea what to expect later on in the Brotherhood series.

I was thinking, "Ok, maybe the first 3 episodes or so will be the same storyline as the first anime, then it will branch off in a new direction!" But we're on the 7th episode so far, with the 8th episode looking like the same story as well...

I find that ridiculous.

It's the principal of what they're doing. What if every anime had a remake like this... Would you endorse that? What's the point? Different art style and SLIGHTLY shifted events aren't worth it at all. Not even close!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
^ Cowboy Bebop-----------------^Samurai Champloo

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 21 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 12:03 AM) *
I was thinking, "Ok, maybe the first 3 episodes or so will be the same storyline as the first anime, then it will branch off in a new direction!" But we're on the 7th episode so far, with the 8th episode looking like the same story as well...

I find that ridiculous.

It's the principal of what they're doing. What if every anime had a remake like this... Would you endorse that? What's the point? Different art style and SLIGHTLY shifted events aren't worth it at all. Not even close!

@Greensky - With all due respect, I think you have it backwards.
Let's get your fact straight. First there was FMA manga, and if anything, it was the first series of FMA anime that veered off from the original FMA story, and now this series is following the original FMA story, so calling that (how close the storyline of this series is at the beginning to the storyline of first anime series) "ridiculous" is rather ridiculous, IMO, as this was already CAUSED by the FIRST SERIES of anime, and this second series has no control over it, IMO.

What should you expect them to do to "satisfy" you? Alter the original FMA manga story for this series? AGAIN? And, for what? That does not make sense to me at all, as, having the FMA anime series that is closely following the original FMA manga IS, IMO, probably the biggest reason of having this second anime series.

On this thread, I can understand people talking about their uneasy feeling of having this new series in many aspects, EXCEPT the story line differences, or how close the first series and the this new series are at the beginning, because that is, IMO, clearly NOT the fault of the manga, and hence, inherently, not the fault of this new series. That fault (if you call it as "fault"..I don't, but you seems to think it's some kind of fault...) lies clearly on the FIRST ANIME SERIES, and IMO it is not FAIR to criticize the aspect of this series for which this series has no control over. The pacing, yes, they have control over it, but how close or not close this series' storyline is to the storyline of the first series, that condition is already set in cement and not some element they can change at their whim.

So, please check you fact straight before you start falsely accusing this new series (and since the storyline for this series is following the original FMA, you're accusing the original FMA maga story, in effect) for what the first series of FMA anime has done "wrong" ('wrong" in your line of thinking, not mine.)

I already stated that this thread is NOT going to be used to bash and trash new series, and I would certainly NOT allow this thread to be used for falsely accusing this new series (and inherently, accusing the FMA manga) for what the last series of anime has done, according to your complaint. (BTW, I'm not the one accusing the story difference/or closeness, mind you. To me, the difference/or closeness of the storyline of this series to the first series is GIVEN, preset condition, as this series is closely following original FMA manga story.)

For anyone who does not know FMA manga-anime (first series) differences, I suggest reading FMA anime (first series) - manga differences thread to learn more about the FMA manga/anime (first series) differnces (or closeness) and maybe it will help learn little more about "history" of FMA manga and the first series of FMA anime to help you stop making any more "false" accusations like this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greensky
post May 21 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

QUOTE (Tombow @ May 21 2009, 10:32 PM) *
On this thread, I can understand people talking about their uneasy feeling of having this new series in many aspects, EXCEPT the story line differences, or how close the first series and the this new series are at the beginning, because that is, IMO, clearly NOT the fault of the manga, and hence, inherently, not the fault of this new series.

Oh I'm not blaming the manga storyline, or the 1st anime series, or any storyline at all, I'm blaming the creators or Brotherhood for deciding to publish the same first part of the story over again. That's all.

I certainly wouldn't want to see a remake of Hajime no Ippo or any other anime up until the point where they switch to a new manga story... because the vast majority of people have already seen it, yes? That story already exists!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 22 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 02:57 AM) *
I certainly wouldn't want to see a remake of Hajime no Ippo or any other anime up until the point where they switch to a new manga story... because the vast majority of people have already seen it, yes? ....

@Greensky - My personal reply is basically, "no." But, I refrain from posting the rebuttal because now you're posting how you feel about having watched the similar story told twice in the beginning part of the series, and I think that's fine as posts on this thread, (so I'll leave the discussion to you guys.) That's different from posting "It still has the same story from series-1!! This series is stuupiiiid!!" or some similar trashing of the series you posted on your prior post. In your mind, you might think these two posts are saying the same thing, but these two are saying two entirely different things to the readers of the posts; One is "calmly explaining why you hold 'unfavorable' feeling/view on some aspect of the new series," (or, at least trying, in part) while the other one is simply trashing the series. The former is fine, but the latter, and any similar "plain trashing of the series" is not allowed for this thread, as part of the condition for this "sanctuary" thread.

....Or, I can just remove all these cumbersome "conditions" and just turn this into regular discussion thread. But then we already know (at least at this point) that the minority opinions would very likely to get overwhelmed by people who are enthusiastic FOR the series, as this is in the FMA-2 forum. (And, I get PMs from people who are afraid to post "unfavorable" opinions of the series in this forum.) Hence, we have this protected thread, but in return, people who have "unfavorable" opinion on the series can NOT take the advantage of the protection and start posting trashing of the series here. Those are the set conditions for this thread. Hence, NO TRASHING posts of the series here, please.

As for the rebuttal, I think penguintruth had replied to that point of yours on Ep 7 discussion thread (a "regular" discussion thread,) and answered better, and in a more concise way than I probably could, so if you'd like to, you can continue the regular discussion of this point there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greensky
post May 22 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #29

Apprentice

Yes, I must apologize for the way my first statement came across to people. I didn't want to trash the new series, but I was quite irate at the time of writing that post.

I'm such a huge FMA fan, and I will continue watching Brotherhood. The story is beyond good, it's amazing, and I'm sure when the manga story starts up (finally! =p), I'll enjoy this new series!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astria
post May 24 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

Wow. My log-in still works after so long? Nice.

Anyway, I wasn't sure about the remake when I first heard about it. It seems too soon after the original anime, almost as though Bones is attempting to cash in on what is still could be for them a very lucrative series. Nevermind doing it because Arakawa's storyline could work so well animated in its entirety. I reckoned that if they don't put thought into how they pull it off, it could come off badly and be a waste of time for fans no matter how the creators profit. I've had episode 1 around for a while, but haven't watched it yet. Partly because I've had other things to do, partly because I'm anxious about what I will find. However, having recently been catching up with the manga, I'm going to get into it soon. Just can't let my interest in this series lie, it seems.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css