Dear America, July 4th Banter.
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jul 4 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #16

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^We just got burned. tongue.gif But I couldn't agree more!

Happy Independence Day, America!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 4 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #17

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE (ἀρχή @ Jul 4 2010, 06:49 PM) *
I don't think we can go back to a country that has such an over-hyped soccer team tongue.gif

Odd, I don't remember us having a soccer team.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 4 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #18

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I don't think we can go back to a country that has such an over-hyped soccer team tongue.gif

This is the best way to return after a long absence.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jul 4 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jul 4 2010, 07:43 AM) *
QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jul 4 2010, 02:23 PM) *
on this day in history our Forefathers declared their independence from tyranny and oppression, and by doing so, our country was born. Lest we forget the noble sacrifices they and so many before us made, 234 years ago today.

What are you talking about? On this day a bunch of terrorists rebelled against their legally recognised rulers of our country and would go on to attempt to be the worlds police. We can only hope that one day they return to the Empire.

So you support the violations of liberties against the colonists, such as hindering commerce which damaged the colonial economy (President Obama is doing something similar with cap and trade), criminalizing expansion of territory, taxation without representation, the Townsend Acts, the murder of five innocent civilians in Boston, and the Intolerable Acts, ALL methods of oppression by the tyrannical King George against the colonists?

And do you also believe that other countries' independences were terroristic acts against THEIR legally recognized rulers? India? You don't see me criticizing the Filipino movement for independence as I am against imperialism, the similar kind that America rebelled against in the American Revolution.

In some countries you would be tracked down, kidnapped, and never seen again for your statement which would be labeled as "hate speech." In America that would never happen. Think about it.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 4 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #20

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE (Chiyo @ Jul 4 2010, 01:01 PM) *

Odd, I don't remember us having a soccer team.

Note that the word "Soccer" is a British shortening of the term Association Football. So we can't help but keep to our old British roots even.

Oh, and Go Germany!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 4 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jul 4 2010, 03:09 PM) *
on this day in history our Forefathers declared their independence from tyranny and oppression, and by doing so, our country was born. Lest we forget the noble sacrifices they and so many before us made, 234 years ago today.

What are you talking about? On this day a bunch of terrorists rebelled against their legally recognised rulers of our country and would go on to attempt to be the worlds police. We can only hope that one day they return to the Empire.

So you support the violations of liberties against the colonists, such as hindering commerce which damaged the colonial economy (President Obama is doing something similar with cap and trade), criminalizing expansion of territory, taxation without representation, the Townsend Acts, the murder of five innocent civilians in Boston, and the Intolerable Acts, ALL methods of oppression by the tyrannical King George against the colonists?

And do you also believe that other countries' independences were terroristic acts against THEIR legally recognized rulers? India? You don't see me criticizing the Filipino movement for independence as I am against imperialism, the similar kind that America rebelled against in the American Revolution.

In some countries you would be tracked down, kidnapped, and never seen again for your statement which would be labeled as "hate speech." In America that would never happen. Think about it.

Wouldn't the terrorist acts in Iraq and Afghanistan be also an attempt to gain independence from their perceived current rulers. Remember, the American rebellion was acted on by the minority of people and not a popular rebellion at the time. All rebellions are justified only in the eyes of the beholder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jul 4 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #22

Alchemists

QUOTE (ἀρχή @ Jul 4 2010, 05:28 PM) *
QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jul 4 2010, 03:09 PM) *

Wouldn't the terrorist acts in Iraq and Afghanistan be also an attempt to gain independence from their perceived current rulers. Remember, the American rebellion was acted on by the minority of people and not a popular rebellion at the time. All rebellions are justified only in the eyes of the beholder.

What terrorist acts? laugh.gif Are you actually insinuating the United States military committed terrorist acts against an inhumane dictator (though my thoughts on Iraq are my own) due to the possibility of cooperation between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, and also implying that the United States presence in Afghanistan, the home base of Al Qaeda, the same group that was behind the mass murder of 3,000 innocent men women and children plus many more in other parts of the globe, is one of TERRORISM? I'd like a list of these terrorist acts (for your information, the majority of civilians killed in Iraq and Afghanistan were due to insurgent attacks if that is what you're trying to say; collateral damage done by the U.S. is expected, any collateral damage is expected in any war) We were attacked by Al Qaeda. It is our duty to completely rout them out. Or am I supporting terrorism. Do some research on combat operations by the military, don't base what you hear from media and entertainment.

Do you actually believe what you said to me? Or are you simply politicizing something that you've heard from anti-war activists or thinkers combined with a disdain for America's actions against a violent Islamic extremist group?

Onto your mention of the rebellion, half of colonists supported the rebellion, while less than 1/5 of all the colonists were loyalists. The rest were neutral. Have you heard of the saying "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter?" On the contrary to what you said, the British public was divided on the matter of the American Revolution. People like Edmund Burke, a British national and political thinker of the time, supported the rebels and understood their plight against the tyrant King George.

I don't understand why I'm being persecuted by this type of baseless political rhetoric when all I mentioned was the birth of America and the day I, as an American, celebrate it on.

I'm no white knight. There are things America has done that I have been ashamed of. No country is innocent. But I believe in the core principles that my Founding Fathers fought for against tyranny two-hundred years ago.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jul 4 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jul 4 2010, 06:44 PM) *
I don't understand why I'm being persecuted by this type of baseless political rhetoric when all I mentioned was the birth of America and the day I, as an American, celebrate it on.

I believe the persecution is in your head. I just think that you missed the point completely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 4 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #24

Master Alchemist

I don't believe any country has ghosted people away for hate crimes. Treason and various "crimes against the state" maybe, but not hate speech.

taxation without representation,

You get to live in America, land of sunshine and really picturesque places (New Jersey now withstanding). We have to stay in Britain, l;and of gloom and misery. I think it's a fair trade.

the Townsend Acts,

Hey, The Who are a great act.

the murder of five innocent civilians in Boston,

I learned about this at Kent state!

the Intolerable Acts, ALL methods of oppression by the tyrannical King George against the colonists?

You mean the Patriot Act, all that oppression by and President George Bush against "we the people", right?

I'm no white knight.

That's right, son, you're a red, White and Blue knight, fighting the good fight under the rockets red glare! Show those Red Coats what freedom tastes like! It' tastes like a boot to their yellow, misshapen teeth!

Woop, woop! This is all getting heated! Best Filipino-America Friendship day ever!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jul 4 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #25

Alchemists

I believe the persecution is in your head. I just think that you missed the point completely.

Please. It's anti-American sentiment. You had me at "world police." But whatever, since I'm a lazy American I'm innately ignorant right?

I don't believe any country has ghosted people away for hate crimes. Treason and various "crimes against the state" maybe, but not hate speech.

Any negative opinions or statements made by people resulted in disappearance. You don't need to look far for various regimes, past and current. Saddam Hussein? Interestingly enough, did you know that "hate speech" is against the law in Canada? They won't lock you up in an unknown jail but they'll definetly prosecute you. I'm not joking. It's that kind of tyranny our past patriots fought against.

You get to live in America, land of sunshine and really picturesque places (New Jersey now withstanding). We have to stay in Britain, l;and of gloom and misery. I think it's a fair trade.

Jersey's not as eloquent as you might think lol, visit Camden and East Newark and all the places with Jersey Shore wannabes laugh.gif

You mean the Patriot Act, all that oppression by and President George Bush against "we the people", right?

The difference is, there is a legitimate threat out there that puts innocent lives at risk. This isn't tyranny or oppression; the Patriot Act has proven to show results and has proven to save not just American, but global citizens' lives. This past decade, due to the Patriot Act, which was a response to the 9/11 attacks that claimed 3,000 lives, we have stopped nearly two-dozen terrorist attacks. That's 24! We stopped subway bomb plots and the like, not to mention we prevented attacks on a military base in my state (Ft. Dix) We are 3 steps ahead of them because of the Patriot Act. Oppression means abuse of authority in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner. I believe the events of 9/11 justified the Patriot Act.

My father was 3 blocks from the World Trade Center on 9/11. The things he saw, the people he saw jumping out of the buildings..just awful. One of my friend's dad's died in the towers, another friend's uncle was never found and is still listed as missing. My father does not want to relive that day. I don't want any American or non-American to. And yet violent Islamic extremists hail this as a victory for Islam. They are a threat I take very seriously.

That's right, son, you're a red, White and Blue knight, fighting the good fight under the rockets red glare! Show those Red Coats what freedom tastes like! It' tastes like a boot to their yellow, misshapen teeth!

Woop, woop! This is all getting heated! Best Filipino-America Friendship day ever!

*sigh* I don't want to cause any trouble. You have every right to an opinion whether I agree with it or not. That's all I have to say.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Jul 4 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #26

Master Alchemist

Any negative opinions or statements made by people resulted in disappearance. You don't need to look far for various regimes, past and current. Saddam Hussein?

Those statements aren't counted as hate speech, they're treason. Learn what hate speech is.

Interestingly enough, did you know that "hate speech" is against the law in Canada? They won't lock you up in an unknown jail but they'll definetly prosecute you. I'm not joking. It's that kind of tyranny our past patriots fought against.
Yes and for the most part it's not a bad thing. Arresting and punishing people for invoking hate and violence based on race, gender or sexuality is pretty fair to me. I really don't think you know what hate speech is.

Oppression means abuse of authority in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner. I believe the events of 9/11 justified the Patriot Act.

The fact America rebelled and took away our colony seems to have shown we weren't oppressing you enough. Evidently we would have been justified in binding all your hands and ankles.

*sigh* I don't want to cause any trouble. You have every right to an opinion whether I agree with it or not. That's all I have to say.

Don't worry though, once Obama fully nationalises your health care (I can't believe you guys are falling into that trap) you'll be put in front of a death panel and this thread will be the least of your concerns.

As they say: God bless America!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jul 4 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #27

Alchemists

Yes and for the most part it's not a bad thing. Arresting and punishing people for invoking hate and violence based on race, gender or sexuality is pretty fair to me. I really don't think you know what hate speech is.

I do know what it is, I was using it in a separate context, which I should have been a little more clear on. I was talking about criticism against the government (In my opinion, hate speech simply involves hate. If someone acts out hatespeech against the government, wouldn't that be due to that persons hate of the government? Maybe I'm simplifying it but that's just my personal interpretation)

Those statements aren't counted as hate speech, they're treason. Learn what hate speech is.

They CAN go hand in hand if hate speech involves government criticism which is something I stressed in my bit above. giljotiini.gif

Don't worry though, once Obama fully nationalises your health care (I can't believe you guys are falling into that trap) you'll be put in front of a death panel and this thread will be the least of your concerns.

Oh he already did. And death panels will be real my friend. They already exist in England. How and why? Rationing and lack of money. I can compile a list of news articles that can help you understand how rationing can essentially result in death panels: because people ARE dying from rationing.

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jul 4 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #28

Alchemists

Dear England:

It's hard to believe that 234 years ago America was born. I wish it occurred with no violence, but unfortunately the many actions of peace the colonists carried out were received with deaf ears, though I know a number of you did support our struggle against tyranny. On behalf of my people, I will say that the American revolution was not personal. Only business.

But times have changed now. We are now strong allies. Without you we would not have been the nation that we are today. I'd be lying if I said America is not perfect. But can anybody say that every country is? Sure we may have made several mistakes over the many many years, but I'm proud to say we have overcome those dark moments in my country such as the Civil War and segregation.

Of course we have our differences: you call soccer football and we call it..well, soccer. You spell things like color as "colour" when we dont, but, you guys do have pretty amusing slang. Who knew "piss and chips" meant vinegar and fries/chips/etc!

Sadly I do not desire to rejoin the Empire. It is my belief however, that we keep things the way they are. It is also my belief that the birth of America was inevitable, something destined to happen. If this continent was not colonized and if the events of the American Revolution did not culminate, who knows what the fabric of history would have been sewn with, not just for you, but for the entire world. Take anything out of history's cycle, who knows what changes might occur?

Despite our differences, be it policical or cultural, one thing I know is for certain: we have proud citizens, something DEFINETLY inherited. Without you, I would not be sitting here typing this message. Your small step on this continent gave us the giant leap forward. For that I thank you in the kindest and most sincere ways. Perhaps our partnership was meant to be, like the Ishvallans and Amestrians teaming up in the finale laugh.gif

Anyway, do take care of yourself. Thank you for everything, and thank you for Monty Python and Borat for teaching us how to laugh. You have our sword and our support.

Your loving neighbor across the pond,

America.

P.S. Maybe we can fix this different outlets and different PAL DVD region things so everything can be conveniently universal. And maybe we can make a weather machine to make it stop raining over there smile.gif

Don't feel like discussing the matter here. I'm over it.
Reason for edit: Merged posts... double posting as it was -Scar

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jul 5 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #29

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

D: I've never walked into a chippy and ordered "piss and chips". xD Never heard of that before in my life. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 5 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #30

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

There is a great deal the media has to be guilty for. For example;

- we are not all cockneys
- we don't use cockney rhyming slang
- there is a whole country outside of London
- we don't worship the Queen
- our beer isn't warm, it has a taste though, something not to be found in a Bud.
- we do have sex and not just tea
- our teeth are fine. Perfectly straight, even and snow white looks unatural, because it IS unatural.
- we don't all worship the football, and we aren't boring just because we can watch a sport that doesn't involve violence.
- chips and peas more likely than piss.
- Yes, we put a "u" in words, part of being English is...would you believe...using English!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 07:00 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css