HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
FirstMoon
post Jun 14 2011, 07:38 AM
Post #22546

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,222

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you guys liked it <3 It was very fun so I'm planning on more mixes in future. (especially I have a nice idea for the next celebration day -you-know-which-one-i'm-talking-about-)

I'm very fluttered to see the fanmix inspired people wub.gif

@Schnabeltier:I really wonder which two songs you are talking about biggrin.gif *curiousmoon*

Everyone's works are amazing as well,there are too many dunno where to start.

I'll check the reasons later.

@LadyNorbert: Congrats! Also is that you in left? Ah the couple is so sweet,I wish the best for them. ~ (Is groom Scottish or...?)

BTW,I love tvropes and and something bugs me in FMA's "Official Couple" trope.

link to trope
Mustang and Riza. Even if not as explictly stated as Ed and Winry or Ling and Lan Fan, they definitely fit the "overtly paired off" and "understood by the rest of the cast to be an item" qualifications of this trope.

I wonder what makes them less stated then LingFan.I mean,I'm not against the pairing but I can't see a reason.(It's probably the only one-sided pairing in fmaverse) If someone can explain me what makes them more implied then Royai I'd be really glad.(Because now,I feel like I'm missing something in plot)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LadyNorbert
post Jun 14 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #22547

Citizen

Member No.: 80,327

QUOTE (FirstMoon @ Jun 14 2011, 10:38 AM) *
@LadyNorbert: Congrats! Also is that you in left? Ah the couple is so sweet,I wish the best for them. ~ (Is groom Scottish or...?)

C'est moi! And yes, the groom is of Scottish descent - all the men in the wedding party wore kilts!

I also love TV Tropes, and have been doing my best to bump up the presence of Royai there...it annoys me when other people delete my edits. I put Roy on the "No Badass To His Valet" page and someone took it off because they disagreed with me. I maintained that Riza's the only one who can mouth off to him without really making him mad, and they said that other people do too - they specifically cited Hughes, Ed, and Bradley. I got annoyed, because Bradley is his superior and doesn't really mouth off to him (just makes his life miserable when the time comes), Hughes doesn't mouth off to him (just drives him batty), and Ed...is Ed, and Roy gets plenty irritated with him.

By comparison, Riza can kick his legs out from under him to stop him from entering a fight, call him an idiot, and nag him to finish his paperwork. Do we ever see Roy get mad at her? Just once - because she almost died. So it agitated me that my edit was taken off, although they did at least leave it where I put it on his character list. I added lots of things to his and Riza's character lists, including Green-Eyed Monster (his reaction to Barry the Chopper - the one scene I wish had made it into Brotherhood!).

--------------------
The Elemental Chess Trilogy - an unofficial FMA sequel
Flowers of Antimony ~ Brilliancy ~ The Game of Three Generals
Prequel: Triumvirate

The trilogy at TV Tropes

+Quote Post
FirstMoon
post Jun 14 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #22548

Citizen

Member No.: 74,222

QUOTE (LadyNorbert @ Jun 14 2011, 08:55 AM) *
C'est moi! And yes, the groom is of Scottish descent - all the men in the wedding party wore kilts!

It's so cute,does he have accent too?

I also love TV Tropes, and have been doing my best to bump up the presence of Royai there...it annoys me when other people delete my edits. I put Roy on the "No Badass To His Valet" page and someone took it off because they disagreed with me. I maintained that Riza's the only one who can mouth off to him without really making him mad, and they said that other people do too - they specifically cited Hughes, Ed, and Bradley. I got annoyed, because Bradley is his superior and doesn't really mouth off to him (just makes his life miserable when the time comes), Hughes doesn't mouth off to him (just drives him batty), and Ed...is Ed, and Roy gets plenty irritated with him.

By comparison, Riza can kick his legs out from under him to stop him from entering a fight, call him an idiot, and nag him to finish his paperwork. Do we ever see Roy get mad at her? Just once - because she almost died. So it agitated me that my edit was taken off, although they did at least leave it where I put it on his character list. I added lots of things to his and Riza's character lists, including Green-Eyed Monster (his reaction to Barry the Chopper - the one scene I wish had made it into Brotherhood!).

Yes,I know you are a trope-maker (checks every week,lol) I can't wait for your triology's page tongue.gif
Oh wow,there is some serious wank going on there. I don't want to talk about other fans but I know most of them quit the fandom after they learnt (Warning! Major Royai spoiler ahead!) Arakawa stated them as canonor still trolling. I just...People shouldn't deny (Warning! Potential end of series spoilers ahead!) what's going on in the picture.(The most painful example was EdWin ,it was painfully obvious from the beginning but yet everyone denied it.)

But I'm talking about more different situation here,I mean..seriously? It's been up there for months,I didn't say anything because I hadn't read the Greedling vs. Bradley part well that times.I finished that part a month ago and I-couldn't-see-such-a-mutual-love-thing.Yes,Lanfan loves him -she cut her arm- but on Ling's side..was not...that much...Atleast not more than Royai.

Again probably I'm missing something in picture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Jun 14 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #22549

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

I guess that "hating" has a lot to do with a couple of things:

- The idea of "shounen doesn't have romantic parings" or the WANT of shounen not having romantic parings. Many people still think animes can be deadlocked defined by a particular genre and, when doing so, will have an specific set of "implied rules" they cannot cross. So, like: in Saint Seiya, Seiya and Saori cannot be a couple because "SS is a shounen", and therefore, made for teen boys and teen boys don't care for romance (and actually seem allergic to anything in regards to that). This pre-conception always leads to people denying a pairing "a priori", since "this type of series doesn't have that".

- The automatic aversion to parings that have a very large fandom and, therefore, attract large amounts of "silly/screamy fangirls". Which is quite understandable and, in fact, quite justifiable in regards to Royai. Many royai fans tend to "see royai where there's none" or to reduce the interaction between the two characters to "they love eachother". Automatic denial because of that is just as wrong as this 'fangirl' attitude, in fact, cause it's a mere reaction to an overreacting, instead of a true, self-built position or interpretation.
But I have to agree that, sometimes, the fandom itself is responsible for making people be averse to something. I only got to watch Hetalia this year, in fact, because of the fandom, cause I couldn't STAND all the "tsunami" of Yaoi parings and commentaries about it. It even make me not want to even WATCH the series. Of course people are entirely free to support, talk, write fanfics about anything that 'moves them', but I really do think that we also have to be careful not to be "annoying" to others, pressing our own preferences in their faces... We live in a society and, therefore, should give space to others, not taking all the space for ourselves. The consequences of not doing so are exactly THIS.

- Personal preferences. Just as there's sites where people are "pro-Royai", there are those whose leaders are "royai-con". And, whenever a person from the 'opposite position' enters a site of their 'opponents', they can be relegated or even offended, depending on the level of civility of the members. I always tend to avoid both, cause I'm not prone to "taking sides", but I prefer environments where people have liberty to actually have freedom of discussing a certain subject.

Therefore, it's not a 'rational' opposition, but, mainly, an emotional one and, as such, won't give way to ANY sort of reasoning we can possibly come up with: they'll just reject or be upset by anything we say. The only thing I can actually say about it: people will change/get less radical once they get a little more mature! Practically ZERO people I know who are actually a little "older/more mature", who already got over their 'teens' have any problems accepting Royai as a cannon couple... Hell, my brother watched ONE episode of FMA:B and said "oh, so Riza joined the army to protect Roy..." noone had to TELL or explain him anything. And it's pretty much the same with all of those who are not actually very much preoccupied in "finding out the true nature of peoples relations".

It's natural for people in their teens to get pretty 'tied up' in their own views, having problems accepting their own feelings, other people's feelings, being outermost afraid of relationships... it's just part of that phase. And all create their own way to deal with that, being constant denial, opposing it or even 'overrating' it.

Unfortunately, there's only so much we can do about it.

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jun 14 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #22550

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

Kind of off topic, but I have to say this

@FMAobsessed I really really really love your take on Royai biggrin.gif My thoughts exactly. I can see you've taken the time to really look deeply into it and break it down. Some of the things you said in there I've never even considered before smile.gif Really good analysis! Haha, I love reading long analyses of Royai.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 14 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #22551

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Hey everyone!

Just want to leave a little reminder for members to keep using spoiler tags! Particularly with end of series spoiler content (and also in the case of this thread, regarding the art-book 3 comment!) As always, this is to keep members and guests from unwittingly seeing uncovered spoilers which will...well, spoil them! laugh.gif This goes for other plot points, as well.

We also have designated threads where end of series and Royai spoilers can be discussed freely in the Spoiler Zone such as Thread for Royai Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood and Thread for Royai fans who read Arakawa comment in FMA manga artbook III.

But, again, if you do mention such spoilers here in this thread as it's part of your argument/explanation, please make sure to cover with spoiler tags; and if the spoilers concern the end of the series, please also leave an end of series content warning before it. happy.gif

Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
LadyNorbert
post Jun 14 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #22552

Citizen

QUOTE (FirstMoon @ Jun 14 2011, 11:15 AM) *
It's so cute, does he have accent too?

Oh, no, he's born and raised American - he just has Scottish ancestry. On his mother's side, I believe, because she was wearing a tartan sash for the wedding.

Sorry about forgetting to use the spoiler blackout - I'm not entirely used to it, and I'm not really sure what constitutes a spoiler and what doesn't. Obviously if I were speaking about the end of the series, that would be a spoiler, but my remark that got blacked out was in reference to Roy chastising Riza after she nearly went suicide-by-Lust because she thought he was dead. Since that happens comparitively early in the story, I didn't know it still counted as a spoiler.

<I sent you a PM! hug.gif And I'll try and get back to you on this point soon --it's a good one! ETA: Yes, points in the story such as this do count as spoilers. While it is indeed an 'early' spoiler, there are those (members and guests) who have only just started to watch anime 1/brotherhood or read the manga so they may be spoiled of events to come, whether they happen earlier or later in the story. happy.gif I hope this helps! ohmy.gif If anyone is a little puzzled when it comes to spoilers, don't be afraid to ask. happy.gif>

--------------------

The trilogy at TV Tropes

+Quote Post
Schnabeltier
post Jun 14 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #22553

Citizen

Member No.: 81,123

Ling and Lan Fan? I actually ship it, and I remember hoping for more shippy moments since they encountered Bradley because that was when I started getting interested in their characters. They weren't as prominent or as obvious, and I could still interpret their relationship with a higher degree of ambiguity than with Roy and Riza.

@LadyNorbert - Aww, they look so wonderful! That's a pretty awesome sounding wedding!

I guess there's always room for some mild Alternative Character Interpretation tongue.gif Hello, fellow troper. Haha, although I don't really have my own account on there.

@FirstMoon - Actually, I was thinking less FST and more AMV for one of the songs, and the other one should have fit perfectly if Riza died instead when her throat was cut open, with Roy being forced to open the gate and failing since it fits with the song's Orpheus/Eurydice theme.

If you don't mind I'll talk a bit about it now tongue.gif The first song is Engines by Gary Go. I was thinking of making the theme fit with the trains (and maybe cars) of Amestris interspersed with Royai ahaha. It's a little cheesy at points maybe but when you hear the song it's quite lovely.

Your love is my life
I don't know why we're fighting when we're on the same side
Stuck here we're stalling
We can't keep looking backwards, we gotta live for now not then
So engines can start again

Although tbh I have no idea how to make an AMV, so it'll be a rotting idea.

The other one, Eurydice by Sleepthief ft. Jody Quine, has interesting lyrics, I mean the whole death theme from Orpheus and Eurydice isn't necessarily required, but it certainly makes the words more powerful. Two stanzas because it's kind of bullseye, for me anyway haha.

I've lost you my lovely
To the depths of an ocean
My blind faith,
I follow you with my hope and devotion

I'll sing for your freedom
I'm lost to release you
No heaven waits for us my sweet
I'll follow your demise to hell and beyond

@Turdaewen - Aww, that's unfortunate. I'm actually part of the Hetalia fandom, but I'm part of a smaller community that doesn't completely focus on the pairings much and are pretty diverse in terms of preference in pairings, and are careful not to offend, to say the least. Although they can be a pretty... shocking group some times. They have tendencies.

But I do agree that the fandom has a whole kind of has a… questionable and controversial image to say the least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 14 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #22554

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

@ FMA Obsessed - That was wonderful!! I loved it! So well put and well thought out. A perfect end to Royai Day.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
xUltimate_Shield...
post Jun 14 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #22555

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,845

FMAObsessed: I love your thoughts on Royai. I feel like I've learned a little bit more about it and I just love how you put that all together and how well thought out everything was. It was perfect happy.gif

For the LingFan thing, I kind of don't understand why Ling and Lan Fan are considered more canon than Royai in that thing (sorry, I don't know what it is or anything about it). Because in all honesty, I don't think Arakawa intended for them to be canon at all, since Ling's whole theme is "friendship" and such. I mean, they're cute and I'll support them, but I don't think anything beyond friendship is intended for them. I think there's a lot more evidence for Royai rather than Lingfan, so I'm a tad confused.

--------------------

Roy x Riza ~ Ling x Lan Fan ~ Ed x Winry ~ Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
RadicalDreamer
post Jun 14 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #22556

Citizen

Member No.: 75,904

About TVTropes : I have a case of love and hate with this website. I love it because it's pretty entertaining to read what has in common with what in various shows/manga/games/etc we like. However, the fact that this website can be pretty biaised pisses me off. When it comes to pairings, I've seen entries being deleted and falacious stuff put instead dry.gif ... Also, this website can make you lose precious hours lol, but well... everyone knows that while going there laugh.gif .

But seeing people against Royai (Did some fans really quit after reading Arakawa's comment rolleyes.gif ?) is a bit surprising... considering how loved they are (I mean, I know pairings, some that I even consider similar to Royai... who are loved by half of a fandom and loathed/ignored by the other... but Royai always seemed to be accepted by a major part of FMA's fandom).

Now about Ling/LanFan : I understand why this entry on TVTropes surprised you. My opinion is that the couple is very similar to Royai (and I like them as well)... but it's also less of a focus than Royai. So, yeah, I don't understand this entry either... Royai (WARNING! Series ending spoilers!)didn't get "resolved" (just like Roy's goal, this is something for us to imagine I guess) in the end, but not only LanFan/Ling got the same treatment, but they also never got as much scenes as Royai (which makes them having romantic feelings for each other more debatable than Royai I guess *but IMO, I thought it was pretty obvious there was more than pure friendship between LF and Ling*).

<Hi! Please make sure that, even if you're remarking about the end of FMA in the most general terms, you use spoiler tags. Better safe than sorry! smile.gif ~Board Staff>

EDIT : Okay. I hesitated actually for this bit... I should have used spoiler tags then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Jun 14 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #22557

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

Thank you to everyone who read my Royai analysis. I have been wantig to write one for awhile, but had trouble figuring where I wanted to go with it. There was stuff I even forgot to add like the chess piece. Maybe I will write another one. I guess being an english major and writing essays comes in handy. But now I am wondering how I can improve it.

+Quote Post
yadi ina
post Jun 15 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #22558

Citizen

Member No.: 72,859

@ Aria Pierrot: Very nice inputs. My favorite is Chibi Riza with Roy in his hand. n__n And your drawing is very cute. And I wish I could do that, the color is not mine.
@ Schnabeltier, I like your drawings, but my favorite were the doodles. So cute! And the last is very loving. ♥
@ Michiyo: thanks for the pics of Chocolate queen, I love her art. And your picture is so cute.
@ HawkseyeM1910: I love your picture. I love to see them close together. And Riza's great. I love the pictures showing the tattoo. If I could do one, would be exactly like that.
@ 4DE: That's a classic image of Royai, Good job.
@ StormGoddess: I love that fanart ... Your friend is a big Royai ... I love it.
@ XUltimate_Shieldx King and Queen is the most adorable I've seen. Simply beautiful.
@ RoyxRizaFan: I like a nice compilation with royai moments.
@ Dark-Winds, @ xUltimate_Shieldx That rich cake. Royai see that every fan should have in your life at least a cake over to Roy and Riza. (Except me, I have no figures of them TwT. I'm beautiful. Send me a slice of Mexico. XD
@ Panana His drawing is amazing. I love it. River of blood going through, but together, the tree symbolizes growth.
@ Lizzard_2010: I loved your drawing, the 2 with Hayate. It's almost like his son, Riza's mom is strict.
@ Radicaldreamer: Excellent contribution, very cute. As the name of the artist?
@ Ignacio: OO I wish I could do that even if I have time. I am very cute.
@ RedAsATomato: Very nice picture, looks demonstrate confidence.

By the way, thanks everyone for their comments on my contributions. That cute!
The writing fanfics and everything, I'll read and comment later. And my reasons for loving the Royai, the expose on another occasion, I have to think that's what I say, not because I do not know what to say, but because there is much to say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LadyNorbert
post Jun 15 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #22559

Citizen

I'm really excited, ladies (and gents if there are any), because I just completed my first-ever fanvid on YouTube! (I took a break from the next chapter of Three Generals.) Of course it's RoyAi. When I first heard the song in this vid, I thought of our favorite pairing immediately, and I finally took the time to make this video today. I hope you like it!

Edited: *sigh* Never mind. I got read the riot act for using fan art without permission (never mind that 99% of all the OTHER fan vids on YouTube do the same thing), so I pulled the video. Oh well, at least I have it on my hard drive. I guess I could email it if anyone wants it.

--------------------

The trilogy at TV Tropes

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 15 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #22560

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Thank you very much, yadi ina! I'm glad you liked the pics (and my fanart) that I posted! biggrin.gif

@FMAobsessed Ack! I totally forgot to leave a comment on your amazing Royai analysis even though I read it many times! xD As it has been said already, it is simply awesome and brilliantly insightful. You've gotten me thinking of some things that I hadn't even thought about before. I loved reading it --and it's brilliantly written! biggrin.gif

@LadyNorbert Aaaaaw...It's such a shame that you've had to delete it! I would love to see it if you wouldn't mind sending it my way! happy.gif (And the photo you posted is beautiful!)

@jacksparrow589 I'm really glad that I could help out! hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 03:27 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css