HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Plot Holes, Continuity Problems, And Other Flows You Noticed On Fma-1, Spoiler Alert!!
TheRainbowConnec...
post Jun 3 2007, 06:00 AM
Post #151

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,133

QUOTE(astronobish @ Apr 25 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]535363[/snapback]
First time posting... Am a bit shy. Sorry.

But you know the thing where Ed turns Sloth into ethyl alcohol, and Wrath comes out all burned-looking? Well, you don't get burned handling ethyl alchohol. I've tried, and I've even tasted it.

Well...when ethanol evaporates on your skin, it does get pretty cool (evaporation off your skin uses a lot of your body heat from contact to allow it to energize and convert to a gaseous state). So theoretically, it could be something akin to frostbite?

(However, I've had 100% ethanol on my skin many times before, and although it was cool, I doubt that it could ever give me frostbite.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thedespised2166
post Nov 21 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #152

Citizen

Member No.: 71,836

~ Flaw In The Series, If You Notice One, Add It Here ~

Greetings, to start me off, I'll add this little thread.

Heck, I already found one:

In ep.1 & 2, Edward is already deemed the FullMetal Alchemist.
Plus, he can already transmute without a circle.
But a little later in the series AFTER that incedent, he learns that he can transmute without a circle.
THEN he's deemed the FullMetal Alchemist.

Any more flaws anyone?

--------------------
The brothers of despisition shall not seace to exist.
Our power shall consume your soul.
Evil shall rule once again.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 21 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #153

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I could name loads lol but er ill just post a few cba to type lots XD

in like ep 3 or somethin, ed kicks al into the river, however later on when Al falls into the river after becoming the philosphers stone, ed suddenly panics that his blood seal will wash off

In the movie there is definatly some time traverling through the gate, I did work it out but i forget XD generally parallel universes are meant to be in the same timeline, but Earth is ahead by like 5 years (i did think it was like 20 somethin untill someone pointed out to me it wasnt set out in WW2 but regardless there is a time gap)

Also genetics fail, Ed and Al are brothers as we all know, yet their parallel versions arnt even of the same nationailty let alone syblings, yet their genetic material still turned out pretty much the same bar a few things like al heeeein-cant spell having blue eyes and blonde hair

Envy was apparently ed and al's ressurected 400/500 yr old half brother, yet hoenhime uses the philospher stone to jump from body to body to avoid death in this series, so how the heck did he stay in that body for like 5 centurys to make Envy be biologically ed and al's brother (which im assuming he is down to his appearance)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Nov 21 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #154

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (thedespised2166 @ Nov 21 2009, 10:18 AM) *
In ep.1 & 2, Edward is already deemed the FullMetal Alchemist.
Plus, he can already transmute without a circle.
But a little later in the series AFTER that incedent, he learns that he can transmute without a circle.
THEN he's deemed the FullMetal Alchemist.
Episodes 1 & 2- The Liore story- are set in the modern day. The following episodes- from episode 3 to the Tringham Bros. story- are set in the past. Thus the scene of Ed realizing his powers and becoming a State Alchemist happen before Liore.

in like ep 3 or somethin, ed kicks al into the river, however later on when Al falls into the river after becoming the philosphers stone, ed suddenly panics that his blood seal will wash off
Well, anything between Liore story and the Tringham Bros. story are set in the past. Perhaps this was the first time Armor-Al was near water and the boys realized the dangers.

In the movie there is definatly some time traverling through the gate, I did work it out but i forget XD generally parallel universes are meant to be in the same timeline, but Earth is ahead by like 5 years (i did think it was like 20 somethin untill someone pointed out to me it wasnt set out in WW2 but regardless there is a time gap)
Yes, there is a time gap. The events of Episode 49 are set in the year 1915, and Edward travels to a London Air Raid in 1916 (or 1917). He returns to his world the next episode. In episode 51, Edward travels to the year 1921 and stays there for two years until 1923 (the events of the movie). To me this isn't a flaw but a plotpoint that traveling through the Gate is unpredictable.

Also genetics fail, Ed and Al are brothers as we all know, yet their parallel versions arnt even of the same nationailty let alone syblings, yet their genetic material still turned out pretty much the same bar a few things like al heeeein-cant spell having blue eyes and blonde hair
What if the Edward and Alphonse in that world are actually separated brothers? Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Heidrich couldn't afford a baby and left first-born Edward to some orphanage (where he was adopted by an English couple). Then when Alphonse came along, his parents decided to keep him, keeping all knowledge about the older brother secret.

Envy was apparently ed and al's ressurected 400/500 yr old half brother, yet hoenhime uses the philospher stone to jump from body to body to avoid death in this series, so how the heck did he stay in that body for like 5 centurys to make Envy be biologically ed and al's brother (which im assuming he is down to his appearance)
Well, no matter how many bodies he jumped, Hohenheim's paternity to Envy can never be doubted. They might not be biologically the same, but Ed, Al, and Envy were fathered by the same person.
Here's my idea on Envy's Hojr. appearance:
-Considering the Hohenheim flashback showed him resembling his present form, one can assume that Hoho used transmutation to make every body physically resemble his old one (he is a skilled alchemist!).
Or
-Envy's 'Elric' appearance was not his actual face. Envy did say he no longer remembered what he originally looked like. The form he shows to Edward is probably his best guess on what a son of present-day Hohenheim would look like (blond hair, gold eyes, long face) or what an adult-Edward would look like (Edward and Envy being two sides of the same coin: scary isn't it?).

+Quote Post
Luxuria-Cat
post Sep 6 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #155

Citizen

Member No.: 75,340

This one puzzled me...Archer seems to only recover in what, a few weeks? Should he even be able to walk, let alone rampage around Central? The overly quick recovery is probably what made him kind of snap, but I don't see how he can physically move with the new automail, even if it's state of the art or whatever...and after losing 1/2 of his body should he even be alive?

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Sep 8 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #156

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (Claudius @ Nov 21 2009, 11:54 PM) *
QUOTE (thedespised2166 @ Nov 21 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Well, anything between Liore story and the Tringham Bros. story are set in the past. Perhaps this was the first time Armor-Al was near water and the boys realized the dangers.

First, eps 3-9 are flashback, eps 1&2 and everything from ep 10 happen when Ed and Al are 15 and 14. Now, for that lake thing in ep 3, I haven't seen the ep in a long time but I remember the lake was very shallow. The surface didn't come even close to the blood seal so there was no danger of it being washed away. In the later episode, the lake was deep and Al went under the water. Had he not been a Philosopher's Stone, the show would have lost one of it's main characters.

What if the Edward and Alphonse in that world are actually separated brothers? Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Heidrich couldn't afford a baby and left first-born Edward to some orphanage (where he was adopted by an English couple). Then when Alphonse came along, his parents decided to keep him, keeping all knowledge about the older brother secret.

Yes, and where did it say that the parallel world ( out wordl) was exactly the same as Amestris. There was Hughes but no Roy. The two worlds only resemble each other: They aren't exact clones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Sep 11 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #157

Apprentice

QUOTE (Luxuria-Cat @ Sep 6 2010, 05:25 AM) *
This one puzzled me...Archer seems to only recover in what, a few weeks? Should he even be able to walk, let alone rampage around Central? The overly quick recovery is probably what made him kind of snap, but I don't see how he can physically move with the new automail, even if it's state of the art or whatever...and after losing 1/2 of his body should he even be alive?
Considering its near-invincibility, I can assume that the automail has a built-in motor/engione. In this case, it is the automail doing the movements, with the human parts following along. Must be completely agonizing, but Archer at this point is too far gone to even care.

+Quote Post
Luxuria-Cat
post Sep 17 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #158

Citizen

Member No.: 75,340

^ That makes sense now that you say so. Built in engine? I never liked Archer, but that must kill. o.o

And another question...we never learned Gluttony's backstory. Is there a generally agreed-on story of his made by Arakawa or the fans, or is it up in the air?

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Sep 18 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #159

Apprentice

QUOTE (Luxuria-Cat @ Sep 17 2010, 11:33 PM) *
And another question...we never learned Gluttony's backstory. Is there a generally agreed-on story of his made by Arakawa or the fans, or is it up in the air?

There's no kind of back story for Gluttony in manga, or atleast I never caught one happy.gif In anime 1, Dante pointed out that she created Gluttony to process the Philosopher's Stone. I can be wrong!

Now, there's one continuity problem and it always catches my eyes: Hughes.

Hughes is amazing, the most interesting in Fma. The wonderful guy who got no where as much screen time as he deserved. Yet, in one scene, I think the writers of Anime 1 forgot what kind of Hughes they wanted to appear in the show.

In ep 5, when Bald attacks the train, we see Hughes in action. He attacks the terrorists and even Bald. In 25, he attack Lust and Envy disguised as Maria Ross. Those scenes give us the image that Hughes is a brave fellow who isn't afraid to give the criminals what they deserve.
Yet, in ep 15, when Scar attacks the city and all the soldiers (Havoc, Breda etc. ) get their guns and try to catch the man, Hughes hides and comes after the battle with a smile on his face saying he has no reason to enter "a contest of freaks" and claims his knifes would have done nothing.
I think the writers wanted to make Hughes act like a coward because fans think it is funny. Of course, when you compare manga and anime 1 Hughes, the former is more passive. He doesn't attack first; this can be read as cowardy or good instinct to protect oneself. Yet, in FMA 1, Hughes being a part of a battle would have made so much more sense than him staying in the background.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Sep 18 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #160

Apprentice

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Sep 18 2010, 01:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Luxuria-Cat @ Sep 17 2010, 11:33 PM) *

There's no kind of back story for Gluttony in manga, or atleast I never caught one happy.gif In anime 1, Dante pointed out that she created Gluttony to process the Philosopher's Stone. I can be wrong!

Now, there's one continuity problem and it always catches my eyes: Hughes.

Hughes is amazing, the most interesting in Fma. The wonderful guy who got no where as much screen time as he deserved. Yet, in one scene, I think the writers of Anime 1 forgot what kind of Hughes they wanted to appear in the show.

In ep 5, when Bald attacks the train, we see Hughes in action. He attacks the terrorists and even Bald. In 25, he attack Lust and Envy disguised as Maria Ross. Those scenes give us the image that Hughes is a brave fellow who isn't afraid to give the criminals what they deserve.
Yet, in ep 15, when Scar attacks the city and all the soldiers (Havoc, Breda etc. ) get their guns and try to catch the man, Hughes hides and comes after the battle with a smile on his face saying he has no reason to enter "a contest of freaks" and claims his knifes would have done nothing.
I think the writers wanted to make Hughes act like a coward because fans think it is funny. Of course, when you compare manga and anime 1 Hughes, the former is more passive. He doesn't attack first; this can be read as cowardy or good instinct to protect oneself. Yet, in FMA 1, Hughes being a part of a battle would have made so much more sense than him staying in the background.
I dunno. They're facing a guy who blew up a State Alchemist. It's fine to fight normal goons with his push-knives, but some angry Alchemist? Since the Brothers Elric, Armstrong, and Roy & his gun-wielding subordinates entered the battle, Hughes probably considered himself a 5th wheel and saw it wise to let sleeping dogs lie.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Sep 19 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #161

Apprentice

^ @Claudius - Yeah, probably, but character-wise it doesn't make sense. huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Sep 20 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #162

Apprentice

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Sep 19 2010, 10:06 AM) *
^ @Claudius - Yeah, probably, but character-wise it doesn't make sense. huh.gif
Why do you think of Anime1Hughes as a man of action? He only takes action in self-defense or the defense of others; he doesn't look for it.
-He stayed out of Ishval, taking a desk job at home.
-On the train, he only took action because of the hi-jacking.
-He attacked Lust only because she made the first move.
If Scar was in his way, or if the Brothers were on their own, then Hughes would have fought. Since Armstrong and Roy & Riza were present, Hughes saw they could handle the job better.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Sep 20 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #163

Apprentice

QUOTE (Claudius @ Sep 20 2010, 01:00 PM) *
Why do you think of Anime1Hughes as a man of action? He only takes action in self-defense or the defense of others; he doesn't look for it.
-He stayed out of Ishval, taking a desk job at home.
-On the train, he only took action because of the hi-jacking.
-He attacked Lust only because she made the first move.
If Scar was in his way, or if the Brothers were on their own, then Hughes would have fought. Since Armstrong and Roy & Riza were present, Hughes saw they could handle the job better.

You're probably right about that. Hughes doesn't like to fight; he only fights is his life or loved ones are in danger. Since Armstrong, Roy and half the army was there it was probably safest for him to stay back and let them shoot. Does he even have a gun? huh.gif Anyway, what really pisses me off is the upbeat greeting he gives them. I know it was written to lighten up the mood after something so serious but it made him seem like a jerk. Yet, on the other hand, it might just as well have been his act. He didn't want anyone to think of him as the smart guy so he just plays the goofy part.

Damn, Hughes is difficult to understand! Thank A1, for bringing us headache by writing this loved character so complex!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tansy
post Feb 3 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #164

Citizen

Member No.: 74,264

QUOTE (Guest @ Apr 20 2005, 11:15 PM) *
Hmm, good point. The only thing that bugged me in the series was when Al went and touched Ed's face after he died and said, "See, his body's still warm." I thought Al couldn't feel anything in that body.

this was fixed in the dub where they say "see his face still has some color in it"

--------------------
- FULLMETAL FREAK 4 LIFE!!!!

-If you don't like gay marriage blame the straight people... They're the ones who keep having GAY BABIES.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 07:09 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css