HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 59: Lost Light - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 59 episodes
His Name is Unkn...
post May 30 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,795

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 30 2010, 06:16 PM) *
My point about it not paying off, much in the way we got a big array activation that led to just some people being teleported, is that the cliffhanger of the previous episode being that Roy seems to agree to do a human transmutation. And then in the beginning of this episode he goes, "LOL, actually no, I agreed NOT to. Sorry." And that's the payoff.

Ah, I see. A valid point - thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Considered in that light, I would have to agree with you about the emotional 'cheapness' of the reversal; my impression of the cliffhanger was already muted by a knowledge of what was already happening, but considered from the perspective of a first time viewer, this decision to begin a new episode with a 'oh wait, just kidding' does seem a bit...off.

Actually, now that I am recalling more clearly, the concurrent manga chapters did not even end on Mustang's affirmative:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/100/46/

...making this decision seem all the more arbitrary and manipulative. Having said that, I still thought it was a pretty effective cliffhanger from the perspective of not knowing what was going to happen to Hawkeye, but I will concede that 'shock value' would have been better served by leaving Mustang's decision unresolved until the next episode. Then, there would have been no dramatic undercutting or disrespect of the viewer's intelligence when he made his decision the following episode.

Your bringing this up has really piqued my curiosity as to just how many other 'minor' changes theis anime has made to the manga. It's been quite some time since I read over the original work; maybe it's time for a little compare and contrast...

...or maybe it would only get me upset rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 30 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

^ I'm about to start re-reading the whole manga in prep for the final chapter. I might find some things that brotherhood didn't do/did wrong that will tick me off/make me upset biggrin.gif You should join me!!

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
cherry-chan. :D
post May 30 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #18

Citizen

From: a relatively small country at the South East of Xing. 8D
Member No.: 69,870

Overall, I'd say this was a great episode. I was pretty much pleased with it as a whole, and I don't really have much complaints. Actually, I'm so happy with it that I probably wouldn't even bother finding something to complain about! Haha! laugh.gif

- Well. It seems Royai fans are pretty much happy now. Well, I am! XD The hug! <3 It might just be me, but I sort of think the hug has more feeling here than it does in the manga. Or maybe that's just because it's animated, lol. But anyway, I was very happy with it.
- I felt sorry for Mei a bit, haha. I mean, the Philosopher's Stone! So near, and yet it's always so out of reach. Poor Mei Chan.
- I cringed when Roy was pinned down by Wrath and Pride. It's surely painful. o___o Oh, it's good that they didn't put an insane amount of blood oozing from Roy's hands. That would've been crazy. XD (Since we've been seeing so much blood lately, lol.)
- Although I technically hate them because they're the bad guys... Pride and Wrath are just so awesome! :3
- The eyecatch was cool! <3
- I love Riza's VA. XD Especially when she was shouting "Taisa!" over and over when Roy was in the transmutation. ohmy.gif
- How can something so evil be so cute?! Seliiiiim. Er, Pride. XD
- And Roy's gate! The terror on his face as he turns around to face the gate... it's pretty traumatic, and the expression was good!
- Scar VS Wrath! Another awesome part of this episode. I just love Wrath's moves. So fast and... gah. Just so awesome. And to think he's what? 60 years old? XDDDD (I suddenly remember Fu. ;____;)
- Al's gate scene. Al is so selfless! Alphonse-samaaaaa~ <3 T____T That's why I really love Al. XD Always thinking of others.

Really great episode. Maaan. Just four episodes left. T____T

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post May 31 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Art and animation looked awesome to me. Except for Al's body's face, which didn't look right. The direction seemed iffy. Good use of music though.

Going easy on the Fuhrer candidates = bad change. (Explains Roy's stupid boxing in a previous ep)

Translation was poor. Missed the point on a few things. I presume it's the translation and that the anime hasn't just butchered the writing.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 31 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #20

Alchemists

^probably poor translation. My friend read one where it said "you lost your eyes!!" Making it seem like Mustang literally lost the actual eye balls. She didn't give me a web address. I wish I had it, I'd take a screenshot of it for you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 31 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #21

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

It has been a while since I voiced my thoughts on an episode, but this one captured me so I will.

For me the greatest thing about this episode was how it represented it's characters and how they have developed. To narrow it down specifically;

1. That Bradley has weakness. Even when hurt he has been represented as one who cannot be brought down. Here, the bleeding and breathlessness show his human side. YET he is still to be "admired" as a supreme being.

2. Roy has grown up, though his devotion is still in place. As he puts it, he has people to guide him correctly, and he accepts their guidance instead of blindly pressing on (oh ho can we get an irony?).

3. Al. We all knew he was a selfless soul, but this really establishes how everyone else will always come first Which is why he gives himself up to help his brother later on. The same for Mei, she knows what is more important

Other than that, the animation was wonderful in this episode and the pace was good. The anti-climax wasn't a let down I suppose on the basis I knew it was coming and the episode was good enough to make up for it. I think Ed is also beginning to look right for the upcoming events i.e the child has gone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post May 31 2010, 05:08 AM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 30 2010, 01:33 PM) *
Take Claudius' opinion that anime1 handled cliff-hangers more effectively as a counter-point to my argument. In his own words: "They had shock as well as change." I would agree with this, only disputing the implication that Arakawa's twists lack change...they possess just as much change as, say, Al's bomb/philosopher's stone switch, just not on a physical level. Restraint of bloodlust does not equate to lack of change. The change is simply internalized, or to put it another way, the characters are developed.

Actually, I meant it your way.
We may be disagreement, but one of the major points in FMA, IMO, is that the greatest scars are not the ones you bear on your body. They are the ones you carry in your mind/heart/soul.
Violent injury! Losing your eyesight! Getting crippled! Losing a limb! Getting impaled or shot! Oh well.
Taking a life, transmuting somebody, chucking away your ideals, feeling responsible for death, being dead...Somebody kill me please! I'm on my knees, pretty pretty please! Kill me! I wanna die! Put a bullet in my he-ee-ea-ea-ead!
Al would rather wish he stay in his armoured body than have his search bring more death. Roy and Riza got out of Ishval physically in one piece but are so traumatized by their experiences they wish punishment. Jean Havoc loses the use of his legs (Fat chance on knowing the love of a woman!) and yet rather then becoming bitter, he enthusiastically wants to help Roy more than ever! So to these characters, physical injury is nothing to emotional injury.
And both my Anime1 examples attest to that. These cliffhangers were resolved with lucky breaks. But what keeps these lucky breaks from becoming dues ex machinas is that these escapes come with a price that marks the characters' souls.
Al becoming a PS means that he survived only through the sacrifice of a thousand souls. That is a burden Al cannot bear (better he exploded instead) which gives him this 'death wish' mentality that screws Dante's plans. As for Ed, he was dead for a minute, no two ways about that. That's a traumatic feeling in many ways (Buffy the Vampire Slayer used this plot point rather effectively), one not easily to be forgotten or overcome (I could argue that this experience, plus the experiences of killing his Earth-Prime self to get back & the mental blow-out of going through the Gate three times meant that Ed began his exile freakin' bonkers!). You could add Anime1Roy's situation with Bradley to this. He's gonna die, but Selim comes to the rescue...and Selim dies because of it. Not quite the lucky break Roy wanted (especially since it allows him to fulfill the vengeance for Hughes' death that his manga counterpart avoided thanks to the lucky break of Riza's death threat and Envy's suicide). Better Roy lost both eyes and became crippled than ruin his life and this child's.

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post May 31 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

btw, never, ever watch the Guguru subs. The reason they're always out first is because they're automatic translations, so it's no better than if you were to plug the japanese script into google translate.

Although the cliffhanger did not pay off really, the episode as a whole did not suffer. I've always liked the ominous warning that body!Al says after Al decides to go back. I think they handled that scene very well.

Is it just me or do they *always* seem to upscale the art/animation whenever Wrath has a scene? If only they would spend a little more time making sure Roy doesn't look so wonky most of the time

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post May 31 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ May 31 2010, 07:45 PM) *
Is it just me or do they *always* seem to upscale the art/animation whenever Wrath has a scene? If only they would spend a little more time making sure Roy doesn't look so wonky most of the time

This. I also think that Roy has looked really young in the past 2 episodes...

Overall I enjoyed the episode.
-I wish that they spent a tiny bit more time on Roy at the gate etc, to me it seemed more dramatic in the manga.
-I felt for him when he fell over, I'm glad they kept that bit from the manga. It breaks my heart!
-Enjoyed the music
-Roy and Riza's hug was done well, very cute indeed.
-Random eyecatch of Darius and Riza...
-Oh Al, you're so selfless it hurts sometimes... if we're talking equivalent exchange, you're due some pretty big rewards soon. ph34r.gif *is hoping*

+Quote Post
Hyperthia
post May 31 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,952

I loved this episode so much biggrin.gif
The HUG! Like... AWWW! *squees*
And the looks Roy gave Riza were so... AWWW! ^o^

'Course I loved the episode for other reasons, but that was the highlight for me. I can't believe how close to the end we are. It still feels like chapter 102 only just came out! So fast.

--------------------
Siggy made by hilary::Avatar by me: link (do not use)
My FanFiction and DeviantArt accounts. :)

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 31 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #26

Alchemists

^ 102 pretty much DID just come out biggrin.gif That's what's so fun about these later episodes. The chapters they're based on are still pretty new. Whereas the first episodes were chapters from WAY back almost 9 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheSentinel
post May 31 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 44,527

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ May 31 2010, 02:45 PM) *

You're right FMA takes a level in animation quality AND a level in badass anytime Wrath is around.

As for the the whole "suspense" element... I don't really pay to much attention to that since I follow the manga and no most of what is about to happen. Though, I have noticed that if you ignore the previews the suspense quality ups considerably.

--------------------
Tomorrow's forecast:
An expected high of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with a chance of DOOM!

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 31 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #28

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

Err plothole? Or maybe Scar just hasn't figured out what those swords are made of yet?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post May 31 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

Eclipse just released this episode. At last. T^T
You're right, that looks contest is just off XD. But, otherwise, it was a good episode. It did feel a little rushed, though (it had to be, of course, but the pacing could have been better. Ohhh well).

With all that blood (that should have been cut up, since it's not the same in black than in red), they could have left Roy's stabbing at the neck of the Fuhrer-wannabe, or at least something like that. He is a soldier, the very Hero of Ishval at that, for Arakawa's sake.

The only thing that was quite better this time was Hawkeye's worry when Roy was sucked into the gate. She HAD to be so.
And no OOC in Royai. That I liked too. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post May 31 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

I've must been watching one too many Youtube Poops lately. When Scar vs. Wrath scene begun and their faces flashed there, I was just WAITING for one of them to make a funny face or something. Perfect mood killer XD

Anyway, another great episode. Loved the music and animation again. biggrin.gif

(And I actually aww'ed at the Roy/Riza hug, even though I've never really shipped them. But darn it! Guess there was this hidden Royai fan in me, waiting to get out all this time. tongue.gif )

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 03:30 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css