HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Nov 10 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #19081

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,533

Just a thought:

I was thinking that there is a great a significance to Roy and Riza when the Doctor said "Who will we transmute? Family? A friend? A lover?" I think that Riza can fall under each of these categories individually as well as all three at once for Roy. It depends on how you interpret their relationship, but to me it's as if he's directly saying that they knew that she was important to Roy in all of these ways (I suppose at that moment he's not referring directly to Riza, but at the same time, she really does seem to be the main focus of this statement).

Just thought I'd say it. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned already, but it just came to mind. laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Nov 10 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #19082

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

When they cut Riza, I dont think they were completely expecting him to transmute HER but more so transmute anyone in exchange for the philosopher's stone to heal her. That's why he asked "Family? A friend? A lover?" incase her wanted to bring back someone else. Though those three terms can also refer to just Riza.

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan4ever @ Nov 11 2009, 10:18 AM) *
*breathes again after a month*

smile.gif

But does anyone know what it says to the left in the panel with Mei on page 30? Wondering if it's important...

*vanishes until next month*

Something like "Dont squeeze her too hard or her wound will open again!" For some reason they didnt translate that part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Nov 10 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #19083

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

When "testing" the Royai relationship in my mind, I change Riza with Maes and imagine with him the Royai situations XD. Almost all of them do fit Maes; I can only think of two that could not fit, and those are extremely subtle: When Grumman talked with Roy about a marriage with Riza (the panel seems to be turned diagonally), and that panel where Roy was talking to Riza while embracing her after Mei healed her wound, because the speech bubble overlapped his face, and that was obviously intentional (besides, the "don't squeeze her too hard" is revealing enough biggrin.gif ).

Even Riza's breakdown at chapter 39 could have happened with Ed and Al, were they in the same situation. All so-called Royai moments show a tender and incredibly strong bond, but only the two above I talked about seem truly romantic to me.

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Nov 10 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #19084

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

Ehh.. this "friends or something more" talk is growing daunting.. it's just showing up in too many places now.. I don't doubt their feelings for each other one bit, and that's all I'll say on the subject.

I have good news! The doujin I bought finally arrived! I took a few pictures (no access to a scanner, plus I'm not about to bend and possibly tear my very first doujin!) so please excuse the quality. I tried to fix them up a little bit though. These are four colored pages in the book, and they're so nice! Here's two of them:

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan4ever
post Nov 10 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #19085

Citizen

Member No.: 30,946

QUOTE (JELEE @ Nov 10 2009, 08:55 PM) *
When they cut Riza, I dont think they were completely expecting him to transmute HER but more so transmute anyone in exchange for the philosopher's stone to heal her. That's why he asked "Family? A friend? A lover?" incase her wanted to bring back someone else. Though those three terms can also refer to just Riza.

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan4ever @ Nov 11 2009, 10:18 AM) *
*breathes again after a month*

smile.gif

But does anyone know what it says to the left in the panel with Mei on page 30? Wondering if it's important...

Something like "Dont squeeze her too hard or her wound will open again!" For some reason they didnt translate that part.

*slithers in*

Oh, thanks Jelee! It is pretty strange that it wasn't translated...I think it's pretty important.

And I agree with Kaori, just substitute Hughes for Riza and you can separate the friendly and the more-than-friendly more easily. wink.gif

*vanishes for another month*

+Quote Post
Yikie
post Nov 10 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #19086

Citizen

Member No.: 66,339

Because I love the 'hug-panel' so much, I've decided to color it ^w^:

http://yikie-chan.deviantart.com/art/Royai...r-101-143211690

+Quote Post
Nagareboshi
post Nov 10 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #19087

Citizen

Member No.: 70,424

QUOTE (Yikie @ Nov 10 2009, 10:31 PM) *
Because I love the 'hug-panel' so much, I've decided to color it ^w^:

http://yikie-chan.deviantart.com/art/Royai...r-101-143211690

Beautiful! You did such a good job coloring it!

--------------------

Banner and icon made by me

+Quote Post
BirdieNumNum
post Nov 10 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #19088

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,394

Nice colouring job there.

*is jealous of your talent*

+Quote Post
Yikie
post Nov 10 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #19089

Citizen

Member No.: 66,339

@Nagareboshi and BirdieNumNum: Thank you ^^!

On-topic: I think it's funny the more royainess (call it 'evidence', call it 'interaction' or whatever you want) we get, the more people get sceptical about their relationship and depict them as 'just' friends. And not when their relationship was shown much more subtle (the 'will they? won't they?'-fase) in the beginning.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Nov 10 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #19090

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

QUOTE (Yikie @ Nov 10 2009, 10:52 PM) *

On-topic: I think it's funny the more royainess (call it 'evidence', call it 'interaction' or whatever you want) we get, the more people get sceptical about their relationship and depict them as 'just' friends. And not when their relationship was shown much more subtle (the 'will they? won't they?'-fase) in the beginning.

Yeah, I guess they could always give the arguement, "It's not a love hug. It's a 'man' hug, but with a woman." tongue.gif

I love that colored picture! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Nov 10 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #19091

Alchemists

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Nov 10 2009, 07:06 PM) *
When "testing" the Royai relationship in my mind, I change Riza with Maes and imagine with him the Royai situations XD. Almost all of them do fit Maes; I can only think of two that could not fit, and those are extremely subtle: When Grumman talked with Roy about a marriage with Riza (the panel seems to be turned diagonally), and that panel where Roy was talking to Riza while embracing her after Mei healed her wound, because the speech bubble overlapped his face, and that was obviously intentional (besides, the "don't squeeze her too hard" is revealing enough biggrin.gif ).

Even Riza's breakdown at chapter 39 could have happened with Ed and Al, were they in the same situation. All so-called Royai moments show a tender and incredibly strong bond, but only the two above I talked about seem truly romantic to me.

I agree with you with this on some ways, as there are definitely some ambiguous Royai moments. But what about the Barry the Chopper jealousy scene? Or the "They took my queen" scene (with Hughes....? awkward.... huh.gif) ? And there's also the tender way he speaks to Riza that you never really see when he talks to Hughes. And for some reason, I don't feel like the phone scene would have played out in the same way if it were Hughes instead of Riza. If the exact same circumstance with Pride happened with Hughes instead of Riza, I think there would be waaaay more people claiming Roy/Hughes was canon (I do understand that it is popular though....) Trying "go play with Maes-Chan" doesn't really seem to fly to me either.

39 definitely would not have gone the same way if Riza were Hughes. No way. But I do understand that it may be similar if it had been Ed and Al. But then again, Al absolutely needs Ed to live in order for his own survival.... I don't know if it's really accurate to compare what happened in 39 to how the situation might have been had it been Ed and Al instead and determine Roy and Riza's relationship from that standpoint.

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Nov 10 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #19092

Apprentice

I like this coloring too. It even gets anime-like.

QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Nov 11 2009, 06:20 AM) *
QUOTE (Yikie @ Nov 10 2009, 10:52 PM) *

Yeah, I guess they could always give the arguement, "It's not a love hug. It's a 'man' hug, but with a woman." tongue.gif
OK, so I give reasoned arguments and you people give rants... Not cool, huh; not cool.

It's not about denying Royai. But seen in an objetive way, it's not blatant either. My opinion is that it does exist, but it is (and is also shown) in a Japanese style, so we non-Japanese can hardly take the same events as romantic. It's one of those cases when it's evident that the author has an idea in mind but doesn't bother to be clear about it, because he/she is relying on cultural bias (of the Japanese, in this case).

The "change Riza with Maes" method does give the necessary objectivity, because there is hardly anyone (besides Riza) that Roy loves more than Maes. The only difference I can think about is romantic love. A sweet one, but not overwhelming, and only surfacing briefly from time to time. Hardly ideal for me, but then again, I'm not Japanese.

EDIT: In order to answer the poster above. ^^

* Barry the Chopper jealousy scene: Believe me, it has happened almost the same way... with my brother XD. I could see my father behaving that way too. (Being a woman with male relatives can be hard sometimes sleep.gifU).
* The "They took my queen" scene: It didn't happen with Hughes... because he was dead by then. But Roy thought about his whole team. True, the other weren't but pawn, knight and the like, but you get the idea: not directly romantic.
* The tender way he speaks to Riza: It could be also out of him knowing her when she was very young and naive (and so was he). Not necessarily romantic.
* The phone scene: It could have happened with Maes. But only with him. Just try to imagine it with Havoc... *shivers*
* "Go play with Maes-Chan" XDDD: You do have a point with this one. One more to the list. wink.gif
* Chapter 39's breakdown: To be able to compare Ed and Al with Roy and Riza under the same circumstances, proves that there are similar traits in both relationships: strong attachment and undying loyalty. Yet we KNOW Ed-Al relationship is NOT romantic. On the other hand, that Ed or Al could have reacted the very same way as Riza doesn't prove that Riza COULDN'T have broke down out of love. If anything, the romantic shaping of Royai can be sorted out of other situations, but not this one. This only proves the importance Riza attachs to their bond (was that well worded???)

+Quote Post
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Nov 10 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #19093

Alchemists

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Nov 10 2009, 09:35 PM) *
OK, so I give reasoned arguments and you people give rants... Not cool, huh; not cool.

It's not about denying Royai. But seen in an objetive way, it's not blatant either. My opinion is that it does exist, but it is (an is also shown) in a Japanese style, so we non-Japanese can hardly take the same events as romantic. It's one of those cases when it's evident that the author has an idea in mind but doesn't bother to be clear about it, because he/she is relying on cultural bias (of the Japanese, in this case).

The "change Riza with Maes" method does give the necessary objectivity, because there is hardly anyone (besides Riza) that Roy loves more than Maes. The only difference I can think about is romantic love. A sweet one, but not overwhelming, and only surfacing briefly from time to time. Hardly ideal for me, but then again, I'm not Japanese.

Ah. I see what you mean now.... I'm sorry that my inner rabid Royai fangirl came out in such force against your comment.....

Sorry about the rant. ^This argument is very rational. I shouldn't have gotten so defensive. I only meant to point out other situations where inserting Hughes didn't seem to work to me. I didn't realize that it ended up sounding abrasive until now. My bad....

EDIT:

* Barry the Chopper jealousy scene: Believe, it has happened almost the same way... with my brother XD. I could see my father behaving that way too. (Being a woman with men relatives can be hard sometimes sleep.gifU).
* The "They took my queen" scene: It didn't happen with Hughes... because he was dead by then. But he thought about his whole team. True, the other weren't but pawn, knight and the like, but you get the point: not directly romantic.
* The tender way he speaks to Riza: It could be also out of him knowing her when she was very young and naive (and so was he). Not necessarily romantic.
* The phone scene
* "Go play with Maes-Chan" XDDD: You do have a point with this one. One more to the list. wink.gif
* Chapter 39's breakdown: To be able to compare Ed and Al with Roy and Riza under the same circumstances, proves that there are similar traits in both relationships: strong attachment and undying loyalty. Yet we KNOW Ed-Al relationship is NOT romantic. On the other hand, that Ed or Al could have reacted the very same way as Riza doesn't prove that Riza COULDN'T have broke down out of love. If anything, the romantic shaping of Royai can be sorted out of other situations, but not this one. This only proves the importance Riza attachs to their bond (was that well worded???).

You make good points against mine, but I was only pointing out that these are moments that could not have happened if Riza was Hughes instead. I believe you are correct in that the Barry the Chopper scene and the way he talks to her may not necessarily mean romantic attraction. You also make a good points about chapter 39 (it's well worded enough to be understood, so you're fine biggrin.gif) Though in regards to that chapter, I think it's about how one interprets it. I've always thought it suggests romantic attraction, but you're very right in saying that it proves nothing but the strength of their bond (whether romantic or otherwise)

Again, sorry about the ranting.... You really do have good points there. I should have slowed down before firing up so much.

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Nov 10 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #19094

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

Sorry about my poor attempt at a joke. I have no objection to having legitimate disagreements about Royai. They could still just be best friends, but I think it's more.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Nov 10 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #19095

Apprentice

Don't worry, I know it's the Royai spirit in action. ^^

(By the way, I did minor edits afterwards ^^U)

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:26 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css